60th Anniversary Event on August 8

TonySoprano

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I loved scheduled doubleheaders.

I like the idea in theory, but, man, unless it's just the right combination of exciting games it tries your patience to sit at the ballpark for 8 hours. And for me it's almost two hours each way to get there. Maybe this means I'm old, but that's a slog.

I'm getting deyhdrated just thinking about 100 years ago, before lights, having doubleheaders that were like noon and 4:00 games, in 95 degree August heat. Players in flannel. Fans in suits. And those games drew! They tried to schedule as many as possible because those Depression era folks loved the 2-for-1 bargain.

While I'm at it... on September 7th, 1896 the Orioles swept a tripleheader from the Louisville Colonels. 4-3, 9-8, and 12-1, with the third game called on account of darkness after eight innings. The next day they swept them in a doubleheader, 10-9 and 3-1.

• 3 weeks later...

60 years holding season tickets - now that's dedication. It's great that these fans will get recognition.

"There are 29 accounts that have been with us for all 60 seasons," reports Jeff Lantz, the Orioles' manager of media relations. And all but three will be represented Friday night when the team salutes its longtime customers during a pregame ceremony at Camden Yards. It's part of the Orioles' 60th anniversary commemorations.
source - Baltimore Sun

There are a few guys mentioned in here that I'd love to see or hear mentioned on the 8th.

[video=youtube;n1SMVr-MPHY]

I hope the Orioles remember in some way the executives, other off-the-field personnel, managers and coaches who helped build (and re-build) the franchise.

Wow, that's just pretty darn awesome!

I like the idea in theory, but, man, unless it's just the right combination of exciting games it tries your patience to sit at the ballpark for 8 hours. And for me it's almost two hours each way to get there. Maybe this means I'm old, but that's a slog.

I'm getting deyhdrated just thinking about 100 years ago, before lights, having doubleheaders that were like noon and 4:00 games, in 95 degree August heat. Players in flannel. Fans in suits. And those games drew! They tried to schedule as many as possible because those Depression era folks loved the 2-for-1 bargain.

My team (the Chesapeake Nine) play double headers every time. We play by 1865 rules which means no gloves and man are our retro Unis hot!

spiritof66 said:
[video=youtube;n1SMVr-MPHY]

o

Please excuse the few mistakes. I went through the whole song.  ) O.o ) Enjoy. )) :)

TALKIN' BASEBALL ))))))(Orioles Version)

Those early years were lots of fun,

and though they lost more than they won,

baseball had returned to Baltimore.

Put 2 Robbys in the mix, and by 1966,

the Orioles had put the Dodgers down in 4.

I'm talkin' baseball, Gentile and John Orsino,

Oriole baseball, Hoyt and Aparicio,

the kiddie corps of Triandos and Billy Loes,

Where was Jackie Brandt ??? Nobody Knows.

I'm talkin' baseball ...... baseball and the O's.

Earl came upon the scene,

each year they had a winning team,

play it smart, the breaks will come your way.

1970 champs, Grich, Davis, May, and Graham,

whenever you saw Baltimore, they came to play.

I'm talkin' baseball, Belanger, Ellie, Paul.

Oriole baseball, Belle and Buford, Hall,

Cuellar and McNally poised to throw,

Boog Powell strikes another mighty blow,

When you're talkin' Baltimore baseball,

the Babe, and John McGraw,

Twenty games by 4 was done, Brooksie robs another one !!!

Frank's Triple Crown the year they won it all, now Robby's in the Hall.

The Orioles have tradition, and with Ken and Eddie switchin',

they're aiming for the Series in the fall.

New names, Johnny O, another team unfolds,

I'm a believer in Palmer and Weaver, so let's play ball !!!

I'm talkin' baseball, Rick Dempsey and Richie Dauer,

Oriole baseball, Roenicke, Ayala,

Bumbry, Scottie, Mike, and Tippy, Stone.

The wings will tell how far the Birds would go.

I'm talkin' baseball ...... baseball and the O's (the Birds !!!, the Birds !!!, the Birds !!!)

I'm talkin' baseball, (the Birds !!!, the Birds !!!, the Birds !!!)

Murray's the man, ball's in the stands, yeah. (the Birds !!!, the Birds !!!, the Birds !!!)

I'm talkin' baseball, [very faintly ... In Baltimore], (the Birds !!!, the Birds !!!, the Birds !!!)

Cotton candies and gum, the job gets done, (the Birds !!!, the Birds !!!, the Birds !!!)

I'm talkin' baseball down in Baltimore, (the Birds !!!, the Birds !!!, the Birds !!!)

I'm talkin' baseball down in Baltimore, (the Birds !!!, the Birds !!!, the Birds !!!)

o

60 years holding season tickets - now that's dedication. It's great that these fans will get recognition. source - Baltimore Sun

My season ticket rep Joyce Noto is serving as the on the field hostess for the 26 account holders during the pregame ceremony.

Any idea what the timing of the ceremony will be? I'm at work until 6pm and I'm hoping to get over there before 6:30.

Archived