The Yankees screwed Brian Roberts

isestrex

I guess I just don't understand this love for Roberts, and the desire to have him return in any way.

I love Brian Roberts, and I want him to return ........ in about 7-10 years, for his induction into the Orioles Hall-of-Fame.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love Brian Roberts, and I want him to return ........ in about 7-10 years, for his induction into the Orioles Hall-of-Fame.

Actually, I am okay with adding him to the roster for a couple of games in Sept as a bench player, maybe 1 pinch hit at bat and letting him retire as an Oriole.

It

My guess is he tries to play again next season.

Do you know what I think would be awesome? If somebody like Brian Roberts bought the York Revolution or the SoMd Blue Crabs, and just announced that he's their starting second baseman until he doesn't want to do it anymore. He could probably hit .330 in the Atlantic League right now, and keep playing until he's 50. Rickey style. He could treat fairly high level baseball like most of us would beer league softball.

I would imagine Brian Sabean is on the horn with B-Rob's agent to give him a shot with the Giants. Roberts might be terrible, but still an upgrade over what Uggla produced for SF. After experiencing the post season with SF, B-Rob tries to hang on for another year. Best of luck to him, don't want to see him in an O's uniform unless it's an old timer's game 10 years from now.

I just found this little quote funny. It shows the utter disregard most GMs have for fans knowing anything close to the truth about their decisions. They just lie straight faced to the media with equanimity.

"Cashman said the decision to rest him (Roberts) Tuesday and Wednesday had nothing to do with the bonus." NY Daily News

I just found this little quote funny. It shows the utter disregard most GMs have for fans knowing anything close to the truth about their decisions. They just lie straight faced to the media with equanimity.

"Cashman said the decision to rest him (Roberts) Tuesday and Wednesday had nothing to do with the bonus." NY Daily News

So instead he should tell the truth and get in trouble with the Union?

His isn't worried about the fans.

I would imagine Brian Sabean is on the horn with B-Rob's agent to give him a shot with the Giants. Roberts might be terrible, but still an upgrade over what Uggla produced for SF. After experiencing the post season with SF, B-Rob tries to hang on for another year. Best of luck to him, don't want to see him in an O's uniform unless it's an old timer's game 10 years from now.

I don't know, if we have to pick which Oriole plays in an old timer's game 10 years from now, I might still pick Brady Anderson. Dude keeps himself in such good shape that he looks like he could come out of (player) retirement tomorrow if he wanted to. :laughlol:

I guess I just don't understand this love for Roberts and the desire to have him return in any way. He was a good player for a number of years, but let's not forget he is an admitted steroid users who's body broke down on him (something that happens with steroid users) after he signed a huge contract. Some of the injuries he caused himself and instead of being a team player and realizing he wasn't able to play effectively, he stuck around and kept the Orioles in limbo over the second base position for years. Then, he comes back, announces himself the starter and goes out and plays below average once again.

The Orioles paid him a lot of money for a little production over the last four years he was here. They owe him nothing. Roberts was a me-first kind of player and I find it of no surprise that the team has won without him. Buck has worked very hard to get the right guys in his lockerroom and I was not surprised the orioles showed no interest in resigning him despite second base being a wide open competition this spring.

This should be a Tony's Take. My opinion.

I don't know, if we have to pick which Oriole plays left field today I might still pick Brady Anderson. Dude keeps himself in such good shape that he looks like he could come out of (player) retirement tomorrow if he wanted to. :laughlol:

I think that is why the league does not want him in uniform. And why the Orioles make it appear that he is on the training staff.

According to Cots, Brian Roberts has Plate Appearance incentive bonuses. This makes sense as they obviously wanted to hedge his playing time against the 1/$2M contract. He gets bonuses for 250+ PA, 300+ PA, 350+ PA... and so on up to 650 PA's.

He got benched in 3 of his last 4 games to keep him from reaching the next pay check bonus. I realize that this is a business and I don't fault the Yankees for making a smart business decision on a player they were preparing to drop anyway... but it still ticks me off. The Orioles would never have done this to Brian if this exact contract were in Baltimore.

The Yankees may have acted a bit shady here, but on the other hand, they did pay him his bonuses for reaching the 250 PA and 300 PA milestones. So it's not as if they didn't let him reach any of the milestones that would give him extra bonuses.

Archived