Henry Urrutia (DFA)

weams

Good question. I have no idea. But he has options. Cubans have quite a reputation these days. I hear he has improved in the outfield which gives him a position. Lavarnway is a DH. Not that good at catching or 1B from what I have read. And Lavarnway is out of options.

Improving from "game changing terrible" to "you really don't want him out there on a consistent basis bad" is not something to hang your hat on. I'd probably give him one more year at AAA before removing him but his skill set is not exactly irreplaceable.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Improving from "game changing terrible" to "you really don't want him out there on a consistent basis bad" is not something to hang your hat on. I'd probably give him one more year at AAA before removing him but his skill set is not exactly irreplaceable.

Well, you know him better than I. But I am still not sure what he is capable of doing. His first year he was rebuilding his body, changing cultures and still showed some upside with the bat as he moved quickly through the farm system. Last year he had a sports hernia and how do we know how much that was bothering him before he the operation? I am still waiting to see a healthy Henry to see what the O's have in him.

Well, you know his better than I. But I am still not sure what he is capable of doing. His first year he was rebuilding his body, changing cultures and still showed some upside with the bat as he moved quickly through the farm system. Last year he had a sports hernia and how do we know how much that was bothering him before he the operation? I am still waiting to see a healthy Henry to see what the O's have in him.

I still have major concerns over his bat speed but yes, I want to see him healthy again before giving up on him.

You gotta give him a full healthy year. If he can't stay healthy that's different. But the guy raked in the minors his first year. Probably was rushed to the MLB given his situation and our need for a DH. Then raked in the AFL when the top prospects were throwing gas. He had a terrible injury. Maybe he put too much muscle on too fast and tore something. It happens. I think he'll be an asset.

You gotta give him a full healthy year. If he can't stay healthy that's different. But the guy raked in the minors his first year. Probably was rushed to the MLB given his situation and our need for a DH. Then raked in the AFL when the top prospects were throwing gas. He had a terrible injury. Maybe he put too much muscle on too fast and tore something. It happens. I think he'll be an asset.

The 981 OPS at AA, at 26 years old, looks decent enough. The 788 at Norfolk, at 26, was hardly raking.

His debut with the O's was historically bad (if I remember Drungo correctly).

The 981 OPS at AA, at 26 years old, looks decent enough. The 788 at Norfolk, at 26, was hardly raking.

His debut with the O's was historically bad (if I remember Drungo correctly).

.788 OPS at Norfolk isn't all that bad. I recall Drungo saying numbers at Norfolk play pretty close to ML numbers because of the difficult park factor.

Henry U. is the "wild card" for the 2015 Orioles. He will be given every opportunity to bat his way onto the 25 man roster this Spring. He swings a sweet bat, but can he do it at the ML level. We're gonna find out in spring training. Don't count this guy out. He's got some serious talent...

Henry U. is the "wild card" for the 2015 Orioles. He will be given every opportunity to bat his way onto the 25 man roster this Spring. He swings a sweet bat, but can he do it at the ML level. We're gonna find out in spring training. Don't count this guy out. He's got some serious talent...

If so, he's done a great job of hiding it.

Urrutia has virtually no chance of making the 25 man roster and he shouldn't. He needs to go to AAA and hit like crazy and show that he's more the hitter he looked like at Bowie in 2013 than the one we saw in the majors. He turns 28 in Febraury so it's basically now or never. If he doesn't force himself back into the picture this year, he's pretty much done. Unlike Alvarez, Urrutia offers very little besides his bat. He has to rake at Norfolk.

I saw Alvarez in a spring training game last year. He took an inside fastball over the left field wall by dropping his hands and turning on it with almost no obvious excess effort. He's got bat speed in spades. I think he's going to be a good one. Henry...not so much.

I saw Alvarez in a spring training game last year. He took an inside fastball over the left field wall by dropping his hands and turning on it with almost no obvious excess effort. He's got bat speed in spades. I think he's going to be a good one. Henry...not so much.

Henry was hurt. But I agree on Alvarez.

Archived