Gonzalez optioned to Norfolk

mdbdotcom

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was literally no one willing to give what Baltimore gave, which is why Ubaldo was still around and available when spring training started.

Besides, this year all that was really spent was the Jim Johnson money. And Ubaldo will provide better value there. So Dan is at least as smart as Billy Beane.

I like Gonzales, I think he is unappreciated but he just does not have the elite level stuff that Ubaldo does when he is on. Its more about what you need most, do you need slow and steady (Gonzalez) or do you want the guy who is inconsistent but capable of burning like a supernova at times (Ubaldo) and other times looking like black hole. Right now Chen, Tillman, KG and Norris are pretty steady and consistently putting up good performances, I think you have to take a chance you can get Ubaldo to where he needs to be come October, he can be a game changer. You have a six game lead and 4 other starters who are steady, its the right move and its why they made it...well that and money but ultimately even if Ubaldo was on a one year 15 million dollar deal they would make this move and take a shot, he would just have a shorter leash than his current contract gives him.

I understand the "upside" argument, I just don't think it's appropriate in this case. I don't feel Ubaldo's stuff right now is what it was during his few "hot" streaks. If Gonzalez has his split-change going, his stuff is pretty much just as good at this point, IMO.

I understand the "upside" argument, I just don't think it's appropriate in this case. I don't feel Ubaldo's stuff right now is what it was during his few "hot" streaks. If Gonzalez has his split-change going, his stuff is pretty much just as good at this point, IMO.

Ubaldo has the same stuff he had last year.

I like Gonzales, I think he is unappreciated but he just does not have the elite level stuff that Ubaldo does when he is on. Its more about what you need most, do you need slow and steady (Gonzalez) or do you want the guy who is inconsistent but capable of burning like a supernova at times (Ubaldo) and other times looking like black hole. Right now Chen, Tillman, KG and Norris are pretty steady and consistently putting up good performances, I think you have to take a chance you can get Ubaldo to where he needs to be come October, he can be a game changer. You have a six game lead and 4 other starters who are steady, its the right move and its why they made it...well that and money but ultimately even if Ubaldo was on a one year 15 million dollar deal they would make this move and take a shot, he would just have a shorter leash than his current contract gives him.

I think people are overstating this move. I don't believe for one second that the Orioles have chosen Jimenez over Gonzalez for the rest of this season, or even for the next three weeks. They are just trying to keep all six options for five rotation spots in play until Aug. 31, to see if everyone's healthy and then make some decisions. Don't forget, you have to be on the roster on Aug. 31 to be eligible for the playoffs, unless you are replacing an injured player. I will bet dollars to donuts that Gonzo will be on the playoff roster. But he has options, and the O's are going to take advantage of that to keep as many options open as long as they can.

I get a little tired of hearing how great Ubaldo's stuff is when he's on. He's had two excellent half-seasons in a 7+ year career. The odds that he is going to pitch better than Gonzo has for the rest of this year are probably 5-1 against, or worse. And by the way, Gonzo had a 2.43 ERA and averaged 6.78 IP per start over his last six starts. It's a lousy time to have to yank him from the rotation, but I believe he'll be back before long as Dan and Buck maneuver their way to Aug. 31.

I'm just amazed that we have had to option Gonzo and Ryan Webb

many of our competitors would love to have those guys

It will be very interesting to see who makes the final playoff roster.

Do you carry the six starters and not Brian Matusz?

I don't believe that Buck will keep a starter to use as a reliever (unless it's Gausman).

So come playoff time it will be a tough decision... but something will probably happen to make it more clear

I don't believe that Buck will keep a starter to use as a reliever (unless it's Gausman).

So come playoff time it will be a tough decision... but something will probably happen to make it more clear

We love having those guys. Our success has made it so we don't have to use them for a week and we can still keep them.

We love having those guys. Our success has made it so we don't have to use them for a week and we can still keep them.

We have been fortunate with the health of our pitchers. There have been no serious injuries, just a couple of tweaks here and there. You can't go into a season planning for that to happen, and there are still 46 games left where someone could get hurt. So Dan and Buck will keep juggling.

Looking to next season, I don't think we have any prospect in the minors, including Bundy, who is a serious threat to challenge for the Opening Day rotation or be ready to step in if someone gets hurt. So I think Dan and Buck will leave things just as they are, rather than trading their depth away.

If Boston and Ortiz aren't in the playoffs, I wouldn't mind seeing Matusz left off the roster.

I get a little tired of hearing how great Ubaldo's stuff is when he's on. He's had two excellent half-seasons in a 7+ year career. The odds that he is going to pitch better than Gonzo has for the rest of this year are probably 5-1 against, or worse.

Exactly. His numbers overall are helped 2 torrid periods. Other than those 2 periods, he's utterly average. I have not been a fan of him since we signed him.

If Boston and Ortiz aren't in the playoffs, I wouldn't mind seeing Matusz left off the roster.

You still have Hamilton! :D

What if we are facing the Angels and Josh Hamilton? (1/14, 9 Ks vs Matusz).

Assuming we get in there are going to be some tough decisions to make regarding both the playoff rotation and bullpen.

Archived