Hypothetical, Jones for McCutchen

Outlander

I can't make a decision of that magnitude based on the eye-test alone. I need some advanced stats. What's Mila's In The Mood(ITM)%? Her times ITM/24 hours? Her Value Above Replacement Spouse (VARS)? Her LAMIH (Lighting and Make-Up Independent Hotness). Making that kind of decision based on just subjective observation would be foolhardy.

This thread is pretty comparable to a woman being given a choice:

She's been married to one man for seven years. She loves him very much. Sure, he's not perfect. But he's great to her. He supports her physically, emotionally, financially, and many other ways. And he's been particularly great to her recently; he's satisfying her more than ever, and their relationship is stronger than ever.

She wants to have a family (World Series?) and has a choice. Should she have children with the man she loves? Or should she leave him for a recently available man who's mathematical Compatibility Above Replacement score is a little bit above her husband's? After all he's sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiighly better looking according to the data analysts, makes sliiiiiiightly more money, and is far more patient. On paper, the new option offers more potential for happiness to a woman than the replacement man.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She's been married to one man for seven years. She loves him very much. Sure, he's not perfect. But he's great to her. He supports her physically, emotionally, financially, and many other ways. And he's been particularly great to her recently; he's satisfying her more than ever, and their relationship is stronger than ever.

She wants to have a family (World Series?) and has a choice. Should she have children with the man she loves? Or should she leave him for a recently available man who's mathematical Compatibility Above Replacement score is a little bit above her husband's? After all he's sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiighly better looking according to the data analysts, makes sliiiiiiightly more money, and is far more patient. On paper, the new option offers more potential for happiness to a woman than the replacement man.

I think that she should make the practical choice ...... divorce the first guy, tell the second guy to go jump in a lake, and then try her hand on an internet dating site.

Your analogy jumped the shark the very minute you suggested that McCutchen was sliiiiiiiiiiiightly better than Jones. One is on a HoF arc, the other is on a very good player list, who is not elite in any sense of the word.

What? weams, you're a good guy and smart guy. And I hope by this statement you mean something like "McCutchen is pretty obviously a better, younger, cheaper player, but sometimes off-the-wall stuff happens."

I don't know what's so hard, or insulting, to admit that McCutchen is pretty clearly better than Jones but we like Adam Jones so let's keep him.

And either of them could be superior going forward as well. Yes.

The sad thing is that it is a hypothetical and you can't deal with it. Your posts in this thread put you in close company with Oldfan, Atomic, and PA whichamacallit. That's the crazy thing.

I never said AJ was superior. I said I'd keep him. There is not enough upside to change the way I feel.

We have a pretty good idea though. We also don't know for sure who will be better going forward between Mike Trout and Ryan Flaherty. We can make a pretty good guess though. McCutchen has had 4 straight seasons better than any Jones has ever had in his career, he's also younger, and cheaper.

The difference between your hypothetical and the OP is that OPs players are close, and the ones that you suggest are light years apart.

The difference between your hypothetical and the OP is that OPs players are close, and the ones that you suggest are light years apart.

Not that close at all really. McCutchen has been worth about 11 wins more than Jones over the last 4 seasons by rWAR. McCutchen's lowest WAR total during that stretch is the 4.8 he has so far this year, which obviously isn't over yet. That would still be the highest of Adam's career.

I don't know where to start. You said the OP wasn't actually a hypothetical and instead was just a way of calling out Adam Jones. I think, no matter how you come down on this, that it's a thought provoking question and an excellent thread. Questioning the intention of the person who started the thread seems paranoid on your part.

Not paranoid at all as this thread at this point in this season with do many other things to talk about makes it one of the worst I have seen on this forum.

Sometimes, a player just fits a team, a time and a place. McCutcheon is better, but Jones is our guy. Don't mess with what's working.

I have to admit, I hadn't checked McCutchen's stats when I posted this. I hadn't realized he had posted a .900 OPS and a .400 OBP three years running. The gap between McCutchen and Jones is bigger than I thought, and might be enough to change my mind. But can we do the trade after the season? I'm not a big fan of trading key parts in the middle of a successful season.

Archived