Orioles trade for Kelly Johnson and Michael Almanzar

furryburres

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the moves DD made last night , adds really solid depth for the play-offs. De Aza could be a big piece for us down the stretch this year and be a nice piece to the puzzle for next year as well and didn't give up too much to get him. He's having a little bit of a down year this year but can still add a lot to this team.

Johnson has even been a pretty solid ball player throughout his career, and can play decent defense at multiple positions . He could also help us down the stretch and possibly in the play-offs as well as a nice vet bat off the bench. Gives Buck the options he wants .

The O's must really like Almanzar but none of his numbers in the minors really pop out at me , especially for 23 in AA. Maybe I'm missing something

I really like the moves DD made last night , adds really solid depth for the play-offs. De Aza could be a big piece for us down the stretch this year and be a nice piece to the puzzle for next year as well and didn't give up too much to get him. He's having a little bit of a down year this year but can still add a lot to this team.

Johnson has even been a pretty solid ball player throughout his career, and can play decent defense at multiple positions . He could also help us down the stretch and possibly in the play-offs as well as a nice vet bat off the bench. Gives Buck the options he wants .

The O's must really like Almanzar but none of his numbers in the minors really pop out at me , especially for 23 in AA. Maybe I'm missing something

I think it's a function of a lack of corner IF prospects at any level of the minors, outside of Christian Walker. Particularly power bats. I'm having trouble finding it, but I think he's been graded at having 70 (maybe 75) grade power potential. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I think he fills a glaring hole in our prospect pipeline. He's not a blue chip power prospect, but he was easy to acquire and gives us something. I get the sense that DD is trying to fill up ML depth and a talent pipeline at all levels of the farm. Notice how now that we're winning you see a lot less of the "print the playoff tickets"-type sarcasm in response to these types of moves.

I think it's a function of a lack of corner IF prospects at any level of the minors, outside of Christian Walker. Particularly power bats. I'm having trouble finding it, but I think he's been graded at having 70 (maybe 75) grade power potential. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I think he fills a glaring hole in our prospect pipeline. He's not a blue chip power prospect, but he was easy to acquire and gives us something. I get the sense that DD is trying to fill up ML depth and a talent pipeline at all levels of the farm. Notice how now that we're winning you see a lot less of the "print the playoff tickets"-type sarcasm in response to these types of moves.

That's because we have printed them, For three years.

The thing I like about these moves is they make us better beyond this year, but they also have the potential to give us some help right now. Dan really uses depth in an organization to improve the team. Our top 8 position starters are generally better off, but our 40-man roster has REALLY benefited from DD running this org.

Archived