Orioles trade for Kelly Johnson and Michael Almanzar

furryburres

True but that value isn't a whole lot and will be zero next year without more improvement. Dejesus is a backup SS and Weeks can steal and get on base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weeks and DeJesus are both 27-28 years old. Of course we are counting on Almanzar to get better in the future. And he should. Weeks and DeJesus are likely what they are going to be...Flaherty is the clear back up SS on this team. We just traded for De Aza and could still call up Berry in September to be the designated base stealer. Don't need either one.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True but that value isn't a whole lot and will be zero next year without more improvement. Dejesus is a backup SS and Weeks can steal and get on base.

And as a 23 year old in AA this year, Almanzar hit 5 HR and 9 doubles in 186 AB after coming off the DL. That's fairly promising. Plus, he's already spent a spring training with the O's, so they know they like him.

Weeks cant field his position...simple as that or he would have been here a long time ago. He is not just bad, he is horrible.

Dejesus is a back up SS and has done nothing that indicates he could be better than Flaherty who is more versatile in that role.

Not sure why anyone would be down on getting a vet bat who can fill a few roles and younger kid who may not amount to anything but has some potential and has shown some growth that apparently the team scouts must like?

Far as I am concerned with the way injuries can happen, the more guys they can cram into playoff eligibility the better. No reason to just write off an option that you may wish later you have even if its just as a guy coming off the bench to PR. Sure Berry could fill that role but what if he pulls a hammy next or tears an ACL ect.

Exactly, you never know.

O's DFA Yoon and Phelps - 40 man at 38.

O's trade Jemile Weeks - 40 man at 37.

July 31st O's add De Aza - 40 man at 38.

Buck said that Kelly Johnson and Almanzar not added until Monday. Kelly Johnson will not be eligible for post season games. They will make the 40 man roster go to 40.

Opinion: Steve Johnson vulnerable to be DFA'd tomorrow and Saunders added to the 40 man. Probably not until after September 1st.

_________

25 man roster.

Need to add Chen and De Aza on July 31st.

Opinion: Clevenager and McFarland could be optioned for a day.

After August 31st

Gausman and Saunders can be made available for the playoff as replacements for Wieters and Santana.

Note: Blackmar and Chalas. They both were eligible the Rule 5 draft which might have made them more available to be traded.

Buck says if you can't play defense you can't play for the O's. The reports from Norfolk must have been that De Jesus and Weeks could not play defense to the O's standards.

There is my guess.

O's DFA Yoon and Phelps - 40 man at 38.

O's trade Jemile Weeks - 40 man at 37.

July 31st O's add De Aza - 40 man at 38.

Buck said that Kelly Johnson and Almanzar no added until Monday. Kelly Johnson will not be eligible for post season games. They will make the 40 man roster go to 40.

Opinion: Steve Johnson vulnerable to be DFA'd tomorrow and Saunders added to the 40 man. Probably not until after September 1st.

_________

25 man roster.

Need to add Chen and De Aza on July 31st.

Opinion: Clevenager and McFarland could be optioned for a day.

After August 31st

Gausman and Saunders can be made available for the playoff as replacements for Wieters and Santana.

Note: Blackmar and Chalas. They are both were eligible the Rule 5 draft which might have made them more available to be traded.

Buck says if you can't play defense you can't play for the O's. The reports from Norfolk must have been that De Jesus and Weeks could not play defense to the O's standards.

There is my guess.

What sense does it make to make the Johnson trade today if he isn't eligible for the playoffs?

I think Buck is saying he might not be in Baltimore by game time tomorrow, not that he will not be on the roster.

What sense does it make to make the Johnson trade today if he isn't eligible for the playoffs?

I think Buck is saying he might not be in Baltimore by game time tomorrow, not that he will not be on the roster.

Well Weeks is going to the active roster with Pedroia going on the DL so maybe Boston pushed the trade along. But yeah, it wouldn't make sense to trade for Johnson and not have him playoff eligible even if you don't plan on him being on the roster.

I'm pretty sure he can make it from St Pete (where the Red Sox are tonight) to Baltimore by tomorrow's game.

I would tend to agree with this statement. The deal seemed to happen fast, would think they would want the option of putting him on the playoff roster.

I'm pretty sure he can make it from St Pete (where the Red Sox are tonight) to Baltimore by tomorrow's game.

According to MLB.com all deals must be done by 11:59 PM, I don't think he technically has to be in the ballpark. We might play a man short tomorrow.

Buck said Johnson will not arrive until Monday. Monday is Sept 1st. Apparently Kelly Johnson was acquired to help the O's win in September.

Archived