Jimenez getting booed on Sunday.

Snutchy

You certainly can mock me and joke around all you want but while you are doing so I will point out something to you that you may have difficulty in summarily dismissing. I have no idea if you are an NFL fan or not but the season the Baltimore Colts won Super Bowl V their defensive leader was Mike "mad dog" Curtis who as the season progressed thought some of his teammates were not playing up to their capabilities. So he called a team meeting and told just the defense that he was holding each man personally accountable and all he was asking of them was to just "do their damn job." He further stated with much sincerity that if anyone didn't he was going to "kick their ass." You know what? Even the offense heard this and started playing better and they went on run and won the Super Bowl vrs Dallas. This is on NFL film documentary about the 1971 Baltimore Colts. It happened.

I guess if and when you become a professional athlete of an underperforming TEAM you can call a team meeting and chew their a$$es off to try to motivate them to do better.

Until that time I guess you will spend your time booing from your recliner the only underperforming player on a World Series caliber team - giving the other players on the other players on his team the opportunity to console him instead of chewing his A$$ off for his performance.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is on NFL film documentary about the 1971 Baltimore Colts.

The team that you are referring to is the 1970 Colts.

The 1971 Colts lost to the Miami Dolphins in the A.F.C. Championship Game, 21-0.

Unless it was a documentary about the upcoming 1971 season, and they were talking about the previous season.

Mike Curtis? You mean the guy who missed most of the 1975 season with a "knee injury"? Sally No-Knees should've manned up and walked it off. No wonder he wound up with the Seahawks.

Pfft, I remember Curtis. One of my favorite players til that season. Downright shameful. An embarrassment. I never looked at him the same way again for being injured.

Come on Mike, play through a little pain will ya? :rolleyes:

Your exact words:

How exactly was that sentiment limited to professional athletes making millions of dollars? IMO, you can either act like an adult and handle disappointment accordingly, or you can act like a noisy animal and "boo" to your heart's content.

Have you ever really thought about that? What it means to "voice" your displeasure by booing (or even approval via clapping, for that matter)? It's basically the least sophisticated brand of human communication that you can utilize, short of throwing your poop at people who disappoint you.

I don't usually take issue with booing and cheering because, when you're talking about jeering opposing players, I think most booing is, at its center, good-natured. Opposing players expect flak from opposing fans, but most of it isn't genuinely aggressive or intended to injure.

But booing your own team's players? There's nothing worthwhile about that. Ubaldo knew he pitched like s--- when he came out of that game. He knows that he's let his team and the city's baseball fans down this season. He doesn't merit any praise for his work this season, but there's no reason for hometown fans to twist the knife, either.

Unless you want to be regarded as some kind of guileless beast who's only as loyal as its most recent meal, in which case I am happy to oblige.

Well said, sir.

I'm of the belief that you never boo your own unless they do something to genuinely earn it, i.e.- half-assing it on the field, not running out ground balls, for example; drinking and driving; punching their GF in an elevator; etc.

Awesome avatar, BTW :)

You certainly can mock me and joke around all you want but while you are doing so I will point out something to you that you may have difficulty in summarily dismissing. I have no idea if you are an NFL fan or not but the season the Baltimore Colts won Super Bowl V their defensive leader was Mike "mad dog" Curtis who as the season progressed thought some of his teammates were not playing up to their capabilities. So he called a team meeting and told just the defense that he was holding each man personally accountable and all he was asking of them was to just "do their damn job." He further stated with much sincerity that if anyone didn't he was going to "kick their ass." You know what? Even the offense heard this and started playing better and they went on run and won the Super Bowl vrs Dallas. This is on NFL film documentary about the 1971 Baltimore Colts. It happened.

Forgive me for not quite understanding what some football player from 45 years ago yelling at his team has to do with some accountant/insurance salesman/engineer with a half-eaten hot dog and his 8th beer screaming from the comfort of his $45 seat at Ubaldo Jimenez.

Is the point that you should expect an angry reprisal from boorish people if, for any reason, you can't adequately perform your duties as assigned?

The team that you are referring to is the 1970 Colts.

The 1971 Colts lost to the Miami Dolphins in the A.F.C. Championship Game, 21-0.

Unless it was a documentary about the upcoming 1971 season, and they were talking about the previous season.

Yeah that is right. The Superbowl V winner. I am sorry if you feel the need to nickpick the season as I SAID Superbowl V (Five). The actual Superbowl is played in January which was 1971. So, yes, you are correct it WAS the 1970 season. (JEESE).:rolleyestf:

Forgive me for not quite understanding what some football player from 45 years ago yelling at his team has to do with some accountant/insurance salesman/engineer with a half-eaten hot dog and his 8th beer screaming from the comfort of his $45 seat at Ubaldo Jimenez.

Is the point that you should expect an angry reprisal from boorish people if, for any reason, you can't adequately perform your duties as assigned?

The point is - (I am trying to be nice here) that under-perfoming extremely well paid athletics should not be pitied, nor should anyone be chastising other fans for BOOING them! And for heaven's sake to cheer someone for stinking up the field is about the frigging most IDIOTIC thing I have ever seen, or heard of ANYWHERE! These are GROWN MEN being paid HUGE SUMS of money and WE FANS pay plenty to see them. These are not little 5 year old girls playing T Ball.:angryfire::cussing::rolleyestf:

So MAYBE, just MAYBE as in the case of Curtis giving his teammates more than an idle threat to get their attention BEING BOOED might NOT be a BAD thing!

Pfft, I remember Curtis. One of my favorite players til that season. Downright shameful. An embarrassment. I never looked at him the same way again for being injured.

Come on Mike, play through a little pain will ya? :rolleyes:

And yet poor little Ubaldo, we can't be booing this guy for pitching worse than what a mediocre journeyman AAA pitcher (pick any of them at random) could probably do. I would love to have one of you wussies here at a game say something to me if I boo Ubaldo. LOVE IT! In fact, if he is pitching on the 13th when I go to the game, and stinks, I will take a selfie of me booing his sorry hindquarters. Take it to the bank!

Ok... You didn't laugh. I apologize.

IMO... A booing fan in the stands IS much like a bully. 99% of the fans would never boo an athlete to his face. It is like a bully who would never picks on someone the same size or bigger.

Not only would I boo one to his face, I would flat out tell him he needs to start earning his paycheck.

Those,going on and about not ever booing are full of it. Are you trying to say you have never booed an umpire over a call? Umpires,are under a lot of stress and don't have big guaranteed contracts. Do you get upset when Buck argues with the Umpires and call him classless. Have you booed an opposing pitcher for throwing to close to our players heads? Hey he is just trying to get guys out.

But keep going on and on about how you don't boo to make yourselves feel better.

Yeah and every single one of them would not utter a word to anyone at the game booing, but yet want to act so santimoneously here, like they are so much better. News flash, they aren't, and I guarantee you aren't the typical Baltimore fans I have been around.

The point is - (I am trying to be nice here) that under-perfoming extremely well paid athletics should not be pitied, nor should anyone be chastising other fans for BOOING them! And for heaven's sake to cheer someone for stinking up the field is about the frigging most IDIOTIC thing I have ever seen, or heard of ANYWHERE! These are GROWN MEN being paid HUGE SUMS of money and WE FANS pay plenty to see them. These are not little 5 year old girls playing T Ball.:angryfire::cussing::rolleyestf:

So MAYBE, just MAYBE as in the case of Curtis giving his teammates more than an idle threat to get their attention BEING BOOED might NOT be a BAD thing!

What about minor leaguers? These guys get paid very little. Should we boo them too? Should you only boo if they make more money than you do?

Never have I seen someone take so much glee in acting like a raging maniac.

Just tired of an element here that want to chastise me (and apparently many other O's fans for booing a poor performance at a game). That is just ridiculous. I don't get on them for "NOT booing, so let me and everyone else be our own type of fan without the criticism.

What about minor leaguers? These guys get paid very little. Should we boo them too? Should you only boo if they make more money than you do?

Actually, I would have booed Billy Rowell if I had seen him stink up the field also, But only highly paid minor leaguers, not earning their keep.

And yet poor little Ubaldo, we can't be booing this guy for pitching worse than what a mediocre journeyman AAA pitcher (pick any of them at random) could probably do. I would love to have one of you wussies here at a game say something to me if I boo Ubaldo. LOVE IT! In fact, if he is pitching on the 13th when I go to the game, and stinks, I will take a selfie of me booing his sorry hindquarters. Take it to the bank!

I wouldn't say a word to you. I hardly find you worth the time at all to respond in this forum in many circumstances I'm sorry to say. But there are many others who have stated the case far better than I could have and are disarticulating any attempt at a feasible argument you may have had.

I do believe I would enjoy it more than a little if you were to say something to me at a game because you didn't like the fact that I shook my head in response to your juvenile booing of our own players.

In fact, I know I would.

Archived