Jimenez getting booed on Sunday.

Snutchy

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Umpires have a stressful job especially when they are behind home plate. They are traveling all year. The managers yell at them the players yell at them the fans boo them and heckle them. They aren't making fortunes out there. Now some on the Internet is making jokes about them.

Seriously who want that job?

Rookie umps make $120k per year. Experienced umps earn $350k per year. Working post season earns them $20k more. Add on benefits, per diem and 4 weeks vacation. Not too shabby.

Rookie umps make $120k per year. Experienced umps earn $350k per year. Working post season earns them $20k more. Add on benefits, per diem, and 4 weeks vacation. Not too shabby.

Umpires get 4 weeks vacation during the 26-week baseball season ???

I didn't know that. Thanks.

Umpires get 4 weeks vacation during the 26-week baseball season ???

I didn't know that. Thanks.

They also ump during spring training.

Oh, OK. So it's somewhat of a wash then, in terms of the 26 weeks (half of a year) of umpiring that they do every year.

Although, I'm sure that getting those 4 weeks off during the season is extremely helpful, considering the pressure of their jobs.

Thanks.

Umpires have a stressful job especially when they are behind home plate. They are traveling all year. The managers yell at them the players yell at them the fans boo them and heckle them. They aren't making fortunes out there. Now some on the Internet is making jokes about them.

Seriously who want that job?

Umpires are very lucky dudes. And if they don't get paid well , the temptation to fix games grows even greater. I mean, Steinbrenner was banned for hiring thugs to turn up dirt on Dave Winfield. The FBI documents are great light reading. Anyone think those rings are clean?

But seriously, those wages don't prevent the rouge up hear or their from longing for more money. Just like they can't stand to be less than the players in notoriety on the field. Some of them think they are the show. It would be naive to think some of their egos don't reach further.

Umpires are very lucky dudes. And if they don't get paid well , the temptation to fix games grows even greater. I mean, Steinbrenner was banned for hiring thugs to turn up dirt on Dave Winfield. The FBI documents are great light reading. Anyone think those rings are clean?

But seriously, those wages don't prevent the rouge up hear or their from longing for more money. Just like they can't stand to be less than the players in notoriety on the field. Some of them think they are the show. It would be naive to think some of their egos don't reach further.

It would be a mistake to dismiss the idea of a Donaghy crouching behind home plate.

Rookie umps make $120k per year. Experienced umps earn $350k per year. Working post season earns them $20k more. Add on benefits, per diem and 4 weeks vacation. Not too shabby.

120k isn't good pay for all the travel they have to do and abuse they put up with and it is not like you start at 120k. You toil away in the minors for years making next to nothing with the very remote chance of ever making the big leagues and when you first get there you are a replacement up making less than the 120k you mention.

Will most of them do their job better than Jiminez does his. You are major league pitcher and you can't throw strikes? This isn't little league.

120k isn't good pay for all the travel they have to do and abuse they put up with and it is not like you start at 120k. You toil away in the minors for years making next to nothing with the very remote chance of ever making the big leagues and when you first get there you are a replacement up making less than the 120k you mention.

And yet there is still no shortage of applicants.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, that was the best thing that could have (and did) happened to the Yankees.

It allowed Gene Michael and Buck Showlater to rebuild the (at that time) downtrodden franchise that had sustained 4 consecutive losing seasons between 1989 and 1992, and had not been to the postseason in more than a decade.

Archived