Chris Davis tested positive for amphetamines. (25 Game Ban)

OriolesManiac88

Why did he do it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why did he do it?

• ADHD
    • Performance

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>At least I no longer will complain about him striking out with runner on third and less than 2 outs anymore <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/searchingforsilverlining?src=hash">#searchingforsilverlining</a></p>— Ken Weinman (@KenWeinmanSport) <a href="

">September 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Frobby alluded to this a little earlier and I think I agree. I think it is plausible that after what Davis did last season they decided to take a much closer look at Davis' exemption. If this is the case it may be possible that their doctors decided that Davis' prior exemption was unwarranted.

If this is the case, I like it. Not for us O's fans of course but for MLB.

What concerns me is the possibility of undue pressure on the MLB doctors to find exemptions unwarranted. I imagine that if a MLB doctor came back and said that 100% of the prior exemptions reviewed were warranted (even if this was medically correct), said doctor would be perceived as not having done their job, as the assumption is that there are unwarranted exemptions. I wonder if the MLB doctors are available to the players. It would certainly make things easier if a player could go directly to one of them instead of finding themselves in a situation where Doctor A says you need this and MLB doctor says no you don't.

Still in disbelief that a loose end like this can go untied, if that truly is the case.

Another thought: after having my second child this summer (the week Davis hit 3 against the Pirates) I know that you burn the candle from both ends AND reduced testosterone can result from being a new dad. It can be a grind before you even get to the gig that is supposedly a grind. Not excusing the lack of a "doctor's note" but IF you were dependent on Adderral and decided to go off it because of the MLB redtape - you'd be in for a buzz saw of brain pain. No wonder smokeless tobacco was still in full force.

Alright, I'll delete this post if no one can be arsed to respond to it, but what effect do amphetamines have on a hitter-- is the idea that they help him to lift more in the gym and thus accelerate muscle growth, which of course translates to added power? That is it is as serious a performance enhancer as other PEDs?

You know, to save myself reading the 25 pgs...

When HOF discussions come up and they devolve into a PED argument it's often pointed out that guys like Hank Aaron and Willie Mays used amphetamines. The counter-point is usually that "greenies and other amphetamines aren't really PEDs, they're the same as drinking six cups of coffee without having to go the head so much."

I think that's pure BS trying to salvage the reputation of childhood heros, and they pretty obviously improve concentration and focus, as well as keeping you alert and awake through a long season of late nights.

Archived