Chris Davis tested positive for amphetamines. (25 Game Ban)

OriolesManiac88

Why did he do it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why did he do it?

• ADHD
    • Performance

Also...Troy Patton, Gamboa...how many guys does it take to get busted before the Orioles crack down internally? The Orioles should have had a team meetings with every team in the organization to tell them they better get the exemption.

Is a team meeting going to change anyone's behavior? They already know a suspension is the consequence of getting caught. Guys like Gamboa especially, if they think the difference between them playing in Baltimore and them playing in Nofolk is Adderall and they can't get a prescription/exemption, what's the downside? The upside is $500k a year, maybe a career, maybe eventually $millions. The downside is they get suspended for a while then come back.

Even if the punishment was lifetime bans for first offense you'd still get people rolling the dice given the upside.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Move on. Forget about him and play with what we have. I non-tender him as well. Done.

What if he gets the therapeutic use exemption back for next season and returns to something resembling his 2013 form? I sure wouldn't want him playing for another team in the AL if that happened.

To the fans saying "we're done" and then getting upset at the reactions because they are just being realistic: There's a difference between saying, "The Orioles have no hope now" and "This is going to be hard, the Orioles don't have much hope now".

No one on this board thinks everything will be fine without Davis, Machado, Wieters etc. But many of us feel we still have a chance. If the team has overcome this much, why can't they overcome a little more with the depth and drive of this team?

Well, I'm pumped.

[video=youtube;V8lT1o0sDwI]

In fairness, athletes, like any other person, are entitled to their own medical care, not MLB contracted employees who are not treating them and are employed by the workplace for monitoring purposes. MLB can certainly ban certain drugs or substances it deems are not appropriate for their workplace, however,there would seem to always have to be the need for individual exceptions and reviews.

I didn't mean to suggest FORCING players to use MLB doctors, I was just wondering if that option was open to them. My main point was the possibility of pressure to find unwarranted exemptions.

Do we know if Hardy has an exemption for the Cortisone (steroid) injection he just had?

Different kind of steroid.

Cortisone is a CORTICOsteroid, which is anti-inflammatory.

Andro, etc are ANABOLIC steroids, which grow muscle (and shrink testicles, etc).

Admittedly I have not read every entry in this thread. Having said that and even though this appears to be due to an oversight by Davis and him not getting the exemption like he had last year...does anyone else find the timing of this a bit odd? The Yankees come to town for 4 games barely hanging on in the chase for the post season. Now Davis tests positive?? Just me and my conspiracy theory running wild perhaps...

I didn't mean to suggest FORCING players to use MLB doctors, I was just wondering if that option was open to them. My main point was the possibility of pressure to find unwarranted exemptions.

Friend of mine in medical school worked as a team physician for an NFL team.

He stopped doing it related to the pressures, subtle and not so subtle, to

declare patients fit for duty who were not. It happens, for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, maybe this isn't a popular opinion, but his absence wouldn't bother me so much if it were an injury instead of a drug suspension. I mean, it sucks to lose him in the lineup but the real gut punch in all of this is the suspension and the suspicion that will follow him for the rest of his career. I have no doubt that we can keep winning without him, for most of the year we were winning in spite of him.

Admittedly I have not read every entry in this thread. Having said that and even though this appears to be due to an oversight by Davis and him not getting the exemption like he had last year...does anyone else find the timing of this a bit odd? The Yankees come to town for 4 games barely hanging on in the chase for the post season. Now Davis tests positive?? Just me and my conspiracy theory running wild perhaps...

I don't get this. What does it matter? Conspiracy about what?

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't buy the oversight explanation at all. If he used it last year, then I suspect, he was taking it last year when he had the season of a lifetime and then the exemption expired. He had to stop taking it this year, sucked so bad but couldn't get another exemption for some reason, so he tried to get back on it on the low to try and get back on track.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't buy the oversight explanation at all. If he used it last year, then I suspect, he was taking it last year when he had the season of a lifetime and then the exemption expired. He had to stop taking it this year, sucked so bad but couldn't get another exemption for some reason, so he tried to get back on it on the low to try and get back on track.

You don't think it could be a case of hubris? He decided that he is so great that he didn't need any outside help and thus didn't apply for it. But then we he struggled he changed his mind?

Archived