Markakis Fading

Billy Button

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point the Orioles aren't even likely to hit him with a QO. He'll have to accept a very team friendly deal--like 2/16, if that--or he'll be headed elsewhere. Orioles can get similar production from De Aza next year for a fraction of the cost.

Love the guy, but he's just not he player he used to be.

I believe the original post's reference to $17.5 million refers to his option for next season. The O's can either pick up his option, resign him to another deal at a lower average annual salary, or let him walk. They can't give him a qualifying offer or get free agent compensation.

He hasn't been worth anything close to $17.5 million this year. Second half fades have become normal for him. It's too bad, because as of midseason he looked like one of the better leadoff hitters in baseball.

To some, but not to me. Even when Nick was hitting, he just is not a leadoff guy. He gets on base but he doesn't take the extra base and he's slow. He must have the lowest amount of runs scored amongst leadoff hitters in baseball. I did not check it but I'm guessing. He will not even score 90 runs this year on a team where he played virtually every day and almost everyday in the leadoff spot. On a team with a decent offense. Even when he gets on, he doesn't score as much as I'd like.

All very true. However, do you think for a minute that if he comes up big in the PS they don't re-sign him? DD has had a free hand to some degree, but I can't imagine PA silent on that matter.

All very true. However, do you think for a minute that if he comes up big in the PS they don't re-sign him? DD has had a free hand to some degree, but I can't imagine PA silent on that matter.

I think they probably offer him the same amount of money, regardless of what he does in the playoffs, and regardless of his poor play the last month. And I think they are going to offer him that rather than letting him walk. But Nick was never having a great year. He was never going to be a 2 WAR player this year at any point. He's hovered around a 1 to 1.6 player all year. I think that is probably around the level of money they offer him. And I don't think that is going to be enough to keep Nick.

Why not? That is barely above what his option is. Especially if they give him a couple years of security. The part about the playoffs would just give them an excuse to pay him with cover. You know,"But look what he did for us," or "Look how clutch he was in the PO for us, how could we not pay him."

Because I think some team is going to offer him a 3 to 4 year deal for more than what his production calls for, which is usually the case.

Because I think some team is going to offer him a 3 to 4 year deal for more than what his production calls for' date=' which is usually the case.[/quote']

Well, for three years I guess I could go $24mil , but I'm pretty sure he shoots that down. I definitely wouldn't offer him four.

I believe the original post's reference to $17.5 million refers to his option for next season. The O's can either pick up his option, resign him to another deal at a lower average annual salary, or let him walk. They can't give him a qualifying offer or get free agent compensation.

He hasn't been worth anything close to $17.5 million this year. Second half fades have become normal for him. It's too bad, because as of midseason he looked like one of the better leadoff hitters in baseball.

It is really 15.5 million as they have to pay him 2 million next year even if they don't pick up the option.

Where's Frobby when we need him?

I'm here, but I can't argue with the fact that Nick has been very poor offensively for about a month. I'm just hoping his season has one more turn in it. I'll worry about whether he should be re-signed and at what price when it's all over.

I'll say it again, I'll be heart broken to see him in another uniform. He should give us a team discount

He may not have to give the Orioles a team discount for them to save money. If he slides below a 100 OPS+ with no range in the field I doubt anyone gives him more than $6 mil.

I'm more concerned with his performance this year than next. Nick needs to step up.

Well said!

Archived