GAME THREAD: A.L. Wildcard Playoff Game

OFFNY

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Just using last year's stats I'd say more of Westburg is an upgrade over Frazier More of Cowser is a downgrade over Hays. Maybe the infield is solid better..  Outfield a little worse. I think the infield boost may ultimately make the pitching better  
    • I'm surprised at the pitching, with Means and Bradish down I expected the starting pitching to falter,  and they stepped it up.   I'm not surprised at the total offensive output, though where is coming from it a bit unexpected.  I thought some of the 2nd and 3rd year guys would improve as they mature,  and the 4 main ones are looking great.   I am a bit surprised we are still getting good production from Mateo and O'Hearn, but that's a bit offset by how poor Hays and Santander are/were playing.   The offensive is about where I expected,  but not exactly from who I expected from the 'vets'. The bullpen is worse,  by a fair bit imo.  They're isn't many in there that I completely trust.  All seem to either put out a fire, or throw gas on the fire in any given night.    Overall through the 1/5 point of the season I give a slight nod to the 2024 team,  due to the improvements by Adley/Gunnar/Westburg/Cowser, the starting pitching and O'Hearn and Mateo playing better than I thought.   This offsets the bullpen regression, and a rough/terrible start by Hays, Santander and Mullins to an extent.  It also helps that this team doesn't have an Odor/Frazier type on the team that gets too much playing time.   That by itself almost puts 2024 over 2023!  😉 
    • Rotation better.  Bench/speed better. Defense better. L/R abilities better or the same. It is all about Bautista not being our closer. Better in every other aspect. 
    • This is important to me in discussing. Assuming health, which is a big assumption, this team in August should be better offensively and in the bullpen. 
    • Webb and Akin haven’t pitched the first two and Coulombe should be available.   A lot depends on the score.  If the O’s are losing I don’t expect to see Coulombe but in a tie or close lead, I expect to see some combination of Akin/Webb/Coulombe from the 7th inning on.   
    • A second ago everyone was saying that Ellis didn’t upgrade the rotation enough and now some are saying there is no place for Grayson when he returns.  So which is it?
    • Thought about it, but it’s really hard to judge defense based on 33 games.  Overall I think it’s close to a wash.   What do you think?
  • Popular Contributors