Will Markakis sign with the O's before the FA signing begin? (Option Declined)

wildcard

Will Markakis resign with the O's before he is eligible to sign with other clubx?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Will Markakis resign with the O's before he is eligible to sign with other clubx?

• Yes, Nick will resign with the O's before he is eligible to sigin with other clubs.
    • No, will not resign with the O's at all
    • No, Nick will not resign with the O's before he can sign with other clubs

Too much. I'm scared of what it might be. Would not be surprised to see the O's go 3/30 or 4/40 for him which I think is a big mistake.

I'm surprised that he is coming back. But not shocked. Maybe he will improve. He's still young.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What will De Aza get in arbitration?

Markakis will have to take only a bit more then that. And more years of course. Otherwise the Orioles let him go.

De Aza is close to the same guy productivity wise at the same age.

Markakis has been more consistent over a longer time period, is a free agent, and there is value to the organization to make him an Oriole lifer (long term value), so he deserves more money then De Aza. But when it comes to on field production, they are very close in value.

Markakis will have to take only a bit more then that. And more years of course. Otherwise the Orioles let him go.

Markakis has been more consistent over a longer time period, is a free agent, and there is value to the organization to make him an Oriole lifer (long term value), so he deserves more money then De Aza. But when it comes to on field production, they are very close in value.

DeAza is around a five million dollar guy. Right? Nick is not taking less than ten. And remember, we owe him two for declining the option.

De Aza would likely get about 5 mil, but he's generally viewed as a non tender candidate.

Whether we tender De Aza or not would say a lot about if we plan on bringing Markakis back. If he's non tendered, Markakis is surely returning.

I agree with most of your post but I'm afraid you might be wrong on the bolded. De Aza probably makes around 5.5M-6M next year. Based on that, you'd expect Markakis to sign for 7M per year. I'm afraid they might give Markakis the core Oriole, lifetime achievement type contract of 4/40. We'll see.

I think you are right. At least it isn't 3/40. With an option.

They had an improved Lough on the team when they saw the need to pick up De Aza. Buck then played him virtually everday and he and Markakis were a tandem on the corners. I would be very surprised to see the O's non-tender De Aza. I very much expected him back whether they signed Markakis or not.

In the scenario Markakis comes back and Cruz doesn't, then we'd have...

LF: Pearce

CF: Jones

RF: Markakis

For a 4th outfielder who can't play CF, you think they'd give him 5-6 mil just as a backup? I don't. I think they'd rather pay the minimum for a superior defensive OF who can play all 3 spots.

But if Markakis is gone, then yeah I see them keeping him around to play RF with a platoon mate.

In the scenario Markakis comes back and Cruz doesn't, then we'd have...

LF: Pearce

CF: Jones

RF: Markakis

For a 4th outfielder who can't play CF, you think they'd give him 5-6 mil just as a backup? I don't. I think they'd rather pay the minimum for a superior defensive OF who can play all 3 spots.

But if Markakis is gone, then yeah I see them keeping him around to play RF with a platoon mate.

We are really going to need Pearce to not regress, or not regress that much.

OF course they wouldn't pay 5-6M to De Aza as a backup. On the other hand, they might pay Pearce 2-3M to be a super sub at 1B, LF, and RF, or the full time DH.

I guess its possibly we could DH him, but that would be a shame since a ton of Pearces value last year came from his glove. I'd feel more confident with him in LF than De Aza.

I agree with most of your post but I'm afraid you might be wrong on the bolded. De Aza probably makes around 5.5M-6M next year. Based on that, you'd expect Markakis to sign for 7M per year. I'm afraid they might give Markakis the core Oriole, lifetime achievement type contract of 4/40. We'll see.

4/40 would be my high end for Markakis. The structure of such a deal probably puts his 2015 salary right around 6-7 million, a bit more then de Aza in arbitration.

But, I could see something like 3/30 with multiple (3 or even 4) option years. Make it clear both sides want him to be a lifetime Oriole, but it lets the team avoid a long debacle of a contract.

Nick has to know he is getting a pay cut. Nobody his giving him what he made the last few years. So its about him wanting to stay and taking more years for less money.

We are really going to need Pearce to not regress' date=' or not regress that much.[/quote']

And if he does, they can find someone who fills that slot. As long as Davis, Machado and Wieters all are where they should be. I think that you will not see Buck commit to a full time DH until we see where Matt is.

I wouldn't touch that contract. I think I'm against signing Markakis, period. For sure, I'd be very unhappy with a 3/30 or 4/40 contract. This is one position where we can save money and, I believe, replace it with the cheaper Lough and/or Pearce.

I'm pretty much hoping he makes it to FA and there is a bidding war that prices him out of our range. Good guy and I enjoyed his time here, but like you said he's one player we can replace at a fraction of the cost and then we can use that money more effectively.

Archived