Per Roch: What did the Royals do that was so "unlikeable"?

Jagwar

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It kinda looked to me like they regarded us as the Yankees or the Red Sox. Like this big Goliath that everyone had picked to play in the WS when the season began. Newsflash: nobody had us in the playoffs this year before the season began (except bizarrely the NY Times). We every bit the underdog they were.

I am so glad to see these comments by Roch. Fans like us can talk about stuff like this and it just comes off as sour grapes. Coming from Roch it validates what we have all been thinking.

Why didn't a veteran pull Dyson aside and tell him to shut his yap? One obvious reason is Dyson's ranting worked. The Orioles took the high road, but it may have cost them. How would Frank Robinson have handled the Royals body gestures, tee-shirts, and Dyson remarks? Different era I know, but back in 1971 Frank and Roberto Clemente had quite the verbal battle going on during that series. Neither team was going to lose the 'head game' aspect of playing against each other because all crap like that went through them. I would have liked to have seen some fire from these 2014 Orioles. The only fire I saw was Jones yelling at a reporter in total frustration. They should have called out Dyson and Hosmer from the get go. Instead the Orioles let the Royals have their way.

I was very disappointed with Guthrie's tee-shirt but it was a very classy thing for him to apologize. He redeemed himself in my eyes.

Agree fully with Roch. I've been a fan far long enough to not just automatically hate a team that beats us. The Royals deserved to win, but they rubbed me the wrong way with how they acted. It was like an endzone/sack dance every time somebody's broken bat bloop fell in. I don't mind emotion on the field, but the Royals really overdo it IMO.

Ned Yost acknowledged that they were close games and paid Buck a visit after the Game 4 loss.

Yes. I did hear Yost acknowledge that the games were close as a way of praising his own bullpen. If he said something independent of that- I will withdraw my comment with respect to him. Visiting with Buck after Game 4 is a nice gesture too. Still didn't like that neither the owner, GM, or Yost himself gave credit to the Orioles on the field (or interviews as far as I can tell) after the series conclusion. Not required- but a classy thing to do IMHO.

That said- not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. The Royals aren't in the business of convincing me they're a classy organization. Just an observation...

Maybe I'm just too old, but MLB is the last bastion of sportsmanship. NFL, NBA, Soccer...all about celebrating and actin' the fool. MLB isn't about that, or at least to the degree I was seeing in the ALCS.

Oh I forgot about the NHL. You get punched in the face for acting stupid there.

Maybe I'm just too old, but MLB is the last bastion of sportsmanship. NFL, NBA, Soccer...all about celebrating and actin' the fool. MLB isn't about that, or at least to the degree I was seeing in the ALCS.

Oh, I forgot about the NHL. You get punched in the face for acting stupid there.

In the N.H.L., you get punched in the face even if you don't act stupid.

I'll be rooting for Kansas City in the World Series but ONLY because their fans deserve to see that team win a championship.

The Kansas City area hasn't had a pro sports team with anything in a long long time and their fans seem to be generally classy people as opposed to San Francisco fans who are not much better than dodgers fans.

Their classless team though will get no respect from me and if they do lose, I will find plenty of joy in that as well.

But if they do win I'm ok with it because royals die hard fans deserve a championship the same way our fans do.

Archived