Per Roch: What did the Royals do that was so "unlikeable"?

Jagwar

Well, part of it is the kinda goofy antics the Royals get up to. Hosmer really comes off pretty poor, with his chest beating after bloop singles, etc. Dyson's comments were run through the media endlessly. And so on.

But another big part of it is the unrelenting bandwagoning that's happening around the nation for the Royals. It's absolutely out of hand, to the point where, yeah, some folks (like myself) are starting to turn on them. Yeah, they haven't won in a long time. But there are two dozen other franchises that haven't, either. What makes KC so unique? Calm the heck down.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me it seemed as if the Royals 'Brett Favred' it up out there, meaning: embellished the effort/actions because of the stage. To Favre fans it just looks like a guy doing totally amazing things, but to everyone else it seems unnecessary.

That really irritates me.

Also, I am glad the Os have a policy on facial hair. Seeing "hipster-level beard fails" is also an irritant.

Well, part of it is the kinda goofy antics the Royals get up to. Hosmer really comes off pretty poor, with his chest beating after bloop singles, etc. Dyson's comments were run through the media endlessly. And so on.

But another big part of it is the unrelenting bandwagoning that's happening around the nation for the Royals. It's absolutely out of hand, to the point where, yeah, some folks (like myself) are starting to turn on them. Yeah, they haven't won in a long time. But there are two dozen other franchises that haven't, either. What makes KC so unique? Calm the heck down.

One of their gamethread posters went out and had a good time yesterday.

adam-roberts-mug.jpg

As soon as the game ended I switched over to MASN'S postgame show. Did any Oriole players stay in the dugout watching the Royals celebrate on the field? It looked like they all got up and went down the tunnel when it ended. Buck made a comment in the postgame saying he didn't need to watch them celebrate or something like that. Did anyone see if the network showed our dugout during the celebration? KC players did not act professional in my opinion during the series. There were a number of times they showed the players in the dugout laughing. What were they laughing about? It seemed to happen after they made a great play to rob one of our hitters. That's funny? I think they wanted the Orioles to think nothing they did would beat them and if that was their motto it worked. The people watching on TV saw it as well as the broadcasters. Their manager should have stopped it or one of their coaches should have. Little League players don't do that during games.

I'll throw in my take for what it's worth. I was kind if where Roch was. I figured hey, if we lose to these guys, I'll pull for em in the Series. After watching them in this environment for 4 games, I'm pulling for the Giants. I'm glad they show excitement, it shows young kids that baseball is an exciting game. Where I kind of fall off from them is in the persona. They seem to have developed this macho personality in just a few playoff games. Maybe it works for them, but I just don't like it. If you're team is doing well, jump up and down, slap hands, butts, whatever, but take the chest pounding and the like somewhere else. Also, there were a couple of occasions where they would show their dugout and it looked like their guys were jawing at some of ours on the field.

I was kind of waiting to post this until the sting wore off yesterday because I was afraid maybe it was just sour grapes. I may watch a bit of the Series to see if it still irks me. Hopefully, they won't have anything to be celebrating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What did they do? They won. And didn't deserve to win. Broken bat garbage and bloop phonyness!

#imstillsalty

Had no business losing to them. None.

But credit to them for getting the job done while my Orioles laid down.

And all the calls that went their way. And all the balls the O's stung right at people. That series made my head hurt.

Anyhow, I'm really glad at least the O's know how to conduct themselves with class and good sportsmanship, unlike the Royals.

Let's not forget that the Royals had about zero injured players, key or otherwise. Health plays a huge role and we can look no further than the NLCS. Losing Molina was a massive blow to the Cards and I imagine had a significant impact on that series. The Royals, for all of their luck and fortune on the field, were even luckier in the training room.

What did they do? They won. And didn't deserve to win. Broken bat garbage and bloop phonyness!

#imstillsalty

Had no business losing to them. None.

But credit to them for getting the job done while my Orioles laid down.

Really? The Royals didn't deserve to win, and "your" Orioles laid down? That's ridiculous. We're all upset the O's lost, but that's almost insulting. Two baseball teams went out and played hard, one lost, one won. The Royals did some goofy stuff, Hosmer probably thought he was doing some bonding ritual but to Oriole fans it sure looked like chest thumping. But whatever, they played ball, the Royals won, the O's lost. This wailing about moral failings and lack of try or want... patently absurd.

I'd like to hear a little bit more about the yapping from the dugout that Roch suggests. I hadn't heard or seen anything about that, and I wonder if he'll back that up with anything or just leave it there. (I personally think he should try to give some evidence of that, but it's his blog.)

The rest of the stuff - meh. I get why some would be offended, but they're a young team experiencing a crazy ride. I'm glad the Orioles don't act like that, but I don't think it makes them bad guys. I didn't like the Guthrie shirt, but it's different finding out it was just supposed to be a parody and not an unnecessary jab at the Orioles. He still shouldn't have worn it to the presser, but I do think he knows that now.

I think if it weren't us they were doing it to, most of us wouldn't care.

And all the calls that went their way. And all the balls the O's stung right at people. That series made my head hurt.

Anyhow, I'm really glad at least the O's know how to conduct themselves with class and good sportsmanship, unlike the Royals.

In contrast to the Royals, you only have to look as far as D. Young. His bases-clearing double was as big as they come, and there was no "show-boating" there.

As soon as the game ended I switched over to MASN'S postgame show. Did any Oriole players stay in the dugout watching the Royals celebrate on the field? It looked like they all got up and went down the tunnel when it ended. Buck made a comment in the postgame saying he didn't need to watch them celebrate or something like that. Did anyone see if the network showed our dugout during the celebration? KC players did not act professional in my opinion during the series. There were a number of times they showed the players in the dugout laughing. What were they laughing about? It seemed to happen after they made a great play to rob one of our hitters. That's funny? I think they wanted the Orioles to think nothing they did would beat them and if that was their motto it worked. The people watching on TV saw it as well as the broadcasters. Their manager should have stopped it or one of their coaches should have. Little League players don't do that during games.

What goes hand-in-hand with having a good time? I believe it's laughter. Any manager who stops his team from having a good time, laughing and enjoying themselves while riding an undefeated post-season hot streak straight to the World Series is...wait, nevermind. That manager doesn't exist.

If you think they were laughing AT the O's then that's just a sore heart not seeing reality.

I never cared about the yapping. I just thought it was incredibly stupid. Especially from Dyson. His bold prediction came true, yes. But had we come back and won everybody would be comparing him to Matt "we'll take the ball and we're gonna score" Hasselbeck, and other dumb moments of bravado. It would have infuriated me to know end, if we were up 2-0 and Flaherty or Schoop had some something like that.

I can at least say I didn't like the way the Royals were acting during the series against the Angels. Didn't even watch much of the series, but just from the highlights of there bat flip homers and celebrations they came across as punks. I to was happy that I could root for the team that beat us in the WS, but not now. Their attitudes are very off putting and no, I would not be happy if the orioles did that. I believe their is a difference between the claw that Texas was doing, and whatever it was that Hosmer was doing. I think it's going to be humorous when he and Moose-knuckles come back down to earth and become the disappointing young stars they have been in their entire careers. They certainly can't handle success correctly.

I'm so glad Roch wrote about this because like a previous poster said, it validates my feelings. Roch has never come across to me as someone who would write something because they were bitter. He also mentions all the chirping from the Royals dugout, so this is clearly more than just Hosmer's bloop single calibrations, or Guthries shirt, or Dyson's after game comments. I'm sure he has talked to many people with the Orioles who must have shared with him about the barking they were doing. This series when you look back at it was just comical. Our pitching disappeared in games 1 and 2 and our hitting disappeared in games 3 and 4. All of our hard hits went right to them and all their bloopers found ways to drop. I've never seen anything like it. I'm not going to get much into the home plate umps, but there was at least 3 times where Royals looked at strike 3, but it was called a ball, and then they ended up getting on base. At least twice it resulted in scores (the major one being Gordon's 2 out broken bat bases clearing double in game 1. How would that game have turned out if the obvious strike was called?)

One thing I know for sure though, this proves there is no such thing as baseball gods. If there were, they would have not allowed a team to act like that and win. I knew if the Orioles didn't win the WS this would have felt like a huge "What If" year. We were missing 3 all-stars on our team. Two gold glovers. Weiters swinging a very hot bat when he went down. Manny was starting to get comfortable, and hot with the bat, when he went down. Davis, although not having a great average this year, was still a threat in the line up and plays a very good first base. I'm very happy that they gave us a great season despite what they had to overcome, but man "What if"? Hope we find a way to keep Cruz, Markakis and Miller. I know it's unlikely, but I can dream.

What goes hand-in-hand with having a good time? I believe it's laughter. Any manager who stops his team from having a good time, laughing and enjoying themselves while riding an undefeated post-season hot streak straight to the World Series is...wait, nevermind. That manager doesn't exist.

If you think they were laughing AT the O's then that's just a sore heart not seeing reality.

So your saying MEDIA reports of Royal players jabbing at the Orioles is a lie? And no, I don't expect Ned Yost to do anything. You could put a cardboard cutout of him in the dugout and it wouldn't change things one way or the other. Its obvious the players manage themselves on that team. Their strategy of pinch running in the 7th and using the same guys out of the bp wont work in a NL park. So you guys better take the first two.

Archived