Per Roch: What did the Royals do that was so "unlikeable"?

Jagwar

So your saying MEDIA reports of Royal players jabbing at the Orioles is a lie? And no, I don't expect Ned Yost to do anything. You could put a cardboard cutout of him in the dugout and it wouldn't change things one way or the other. Its obvious the players manage themselves on that team. Their strategy of pinch running in the 7th and using the same guys out of the bp wont work in a NL park. So you guys better take the first two.

Oh, I forgot, the MEDIA is always 100% accurate and never biased. I've yet to see any such media report, myself. Must be some O's blog or a local Baltimore paper..??

Funny how the entire year people say we play NL ball in the AL, and now suddenly our style won't work in an NL park..??

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Each of the Royals players have been coming up with their own little things they do when they get a hit or make a play. They've been doing it all year long and nobody has had any problems with it all.

Where I will agree it crosses the fine line is Dyson and Guthrie. Dyson should have stopped when he said he didn't think it would go back to Baltimore. Fine. He didn't need to add that he thought they felt the same way. Guthrie's shirt with an O's logo on it...I think the particular play on the song's phrase was kinda funny, but yes, disrespectful to the other team. I heard somebody say (can't remember where) that you shouldn't speak for the other clubhouse. That I would completely agree with, and I hope they're learning from that. They're all brand new to this, remember, and it's hitting them very quickly. Instant reaction isn't always perfect.

As for the antics on the field, though, none of that is ever directed at the other team or anything like that. These guys are making plays and having fun. Hosmer's "shoulder shrug" is indeed like he's putting a back pack on. It's like a get on my back and I'll carry you kinda thing to the team. There's a common theme of "who's going to drive the bus today" because different players at different times have made big plays all year long, and again, they each kinda come up with their own little thing to celebrate back towards the team.

I actually have thought to myself that I bet Hosmer's smirk would annoy me if he wasn't a Royals player. The thing is, though, that's only if/when he's doing it to my team. That's such a big part of this, that is completely understandable, but you all have to acknowledge it at some point. They're jacked up, they're making big plays in prime time, and they're having a hell of a time doing it. I don't think you have nearly as much of a problem with it if it wasn't that it was happening at the expense of your home team and your heart.

I will say, too, that all baseball fans in KC have said coming up to the series, during the series, and after the series that the O's organization is fantastic, and we'd all love to see us both in this mix a lot more often. Yost may or may not have ever mentioned the O's in his official press conferences (I can't find an unedited one at this point) but I can tell you he's mentioned them and their success numerous times on interviews with our local sports networks and the like. We all know Baltimore is a great baseball town and that they were very successful this year. It's what makes it all the more fun for all of us involved.

I hope that when some of the sting wears off and after some exciting games in the series the Royals may be able to pull some of you back on their side. They are representing the American League, and, well, damn the Cardinals and Giants! It's our turn!!

Thanks for this perspective. I think that, mostly, I'm just sad that this very likeable Orioles team is done playing baseball in 2014.

Oh, I forgot, the MEDIA is always 100% accurate and never biased. I've yet to see any such media report, myself. Must be some O's blog or a local Baltimore paper..??

Funny how the entire year people say we play NL ball in the AL, and now suddenly our style won't work in an NL park..??

So just because you haven't heard it, it didn't happen. Like as you said, a " biased " KC media wouldnt report it.

The Orioles series is over. No reason for you to still be here if you don't like what we are saying

So just because you haven't heard it, it didn't happen. Like as you said, a " biased " KC media wouldnt report it.

The Orioles series is over. No reason for you to still be here if you don't like what we are saying

You guys talk good baseball when all the heart ache isn't involved.

So your saying MEDIA reports of Royal players jabbing at the Orioles is a lie? And no, I don't expect Ned Yost to do anything. You could put a cardboard cutout of him in the dugout and it wouldn't change things one way or the other. Its obvious the players manage themselves on that team. Their strategy of pinch running in the 7th and using the same guys out of the bp wont work in a NL park. So you guys better take the first two.

The "media report" is Roch. I haven't heard anyone else say that. I love Roch, and he does a great job. He's also an O's homer who works for the network owned by the Orioles. Which is fine, it's what he's paid to do. I'd like to hear him go into a little more detail about this or have it confirmed by someone else before I read too much into it.

The Royals certainly do things a little differently than our players, but again, that doesn't make them bad guys. Just different. Just looking around at some other comments around the interwebs, I don't see a lot of fans from Cleveland, or Seattle, or Boston taking offense to them. I think it just sucks when it happens at your team's expense.

The "media report" is Roch. I haven't heard anyone else say that. I love Roch, and he does a great job. He's also an O's homer who works for the network owned by the Orioles. Which is fine, it's what he's paid to do. I'd like to hear him go into a little more detail about this or have it confirmed by someone else before I read too much into it.

The Royals certainly do things a little differently than our players, but again, that doesn't make them bad guys. Just different. Just looking around at some other comments around the interwebs, I don't see a lot of fans from Cleveland, or Seattle, or Boston taking offense to them. I think it just sucks when it happens at your team's expense.

First, Roch being a homer doesn't mean he would make something up. Him saying that he doesn't think the Royals are a better team could be looked at as being a Homer. If you want to be a credible reporter in the game of baseball, like he is, you don't make up something about another team.

Second, yeah you don't hear that from other cities, but are they really watching? Every single fan that I've talked to since the Royals made it to the WS that have said they are rooting for KC, has also admitted they weren't really watching the games, and believe me I'm making it a point to ask. Yes the common fan will say they want the Royals to win, but that's because it's a team with no recent success vs a team with a lot of recent success. True underdog story. But that doesn't mean they are watching the games.

First, Roch being a homer doesn't mean he would make something up. Him saying that he doesn't think the Royals are a better team could be looked at as being a Homer. If you want to be a credible reporter in the game of baseball, like he is, you don't make up something about another team.

Second, yeah you don't hear that from other cities, but are they really watching? Every single fan that I've talked to since the Royals made it to the WS that have said they are rooting for KC, has also admitted they weren't really watching the games, and believe me I'm making it a point to ask. Yes the common fan will say they want the Royals to win, but that's because it's a team with no recent success vs a team with a lot of recent success. True underdog story. But that doesn't mean they are watching the games.

I'm not saying he's making it up. But he certainly could be wrong about it. He's been wrong about things before. And I'm not even saying for certain that he's wrong. I'm just saying there's been nothing else said by anyone else about it, and Roch just sort of threw it out there. I'm not going to take his word as the gospel on it, sorry.

Regarding your second point, maybe you're right. As a fan of the Orioles, I didn't enjoy the way they acted either. But if they were playing, say, the White Sox - I'd probably think, "boy, I'm glad our guys don't act like that", but it wouldn't bother me that much, and certainly not enough to turn me against them.

Seriously? Why are you here?

You guys talk good baseball when all the heart ache isn't involved.

Heartache? What heartache? We had a great season. And we still have the Ravens.

Plus we lost, but we did so with total class and humility.

We beat the Cy Young loaded Tigers in a sweep, and didn't act as immature and classless as the Royals did.

I mean, first playoffs in 30 years and they already act like they are literally royalty.

Hopefully the Cardinals/Giants beat some humility into them.

No heartache here, just calling things for what they are.

BtW, the Royals had been garnering this reputation since before our series even began.

The Red Sox had won 8 games in the month prior.

Yes, but the O's were 28 games out of 1st place and celebrated like they had just won the World Series. I live in Massachusetts, but I've been an Oriole fan for 51 years.

I was happy that they knocked the Sox out. but I thought that the celebration was way overboard considering the dismal season that they had.

Yes, but the O's were 28 games out of 1st place and celebrated like they had just won the World Series. I live in Massachusetts, but I've been an Oriole fan for 51 years.

I was happy that they knocked the Sox out. but I thought that the celebration was way overboard considering the dismal season that they had.

I thought it was totally appropriate given how the Red Sox and their fanbase had treated the Orioles over the preceding decade+.

Apparently you felt bad for Red Sox nation. I have zero sympathy for Red Sox. The Orioles did exactly what they needed to that game and I'm very proud that they got to celebrate a small victory. Yes I live in MA too and loathe their fans.

These things you say...they just don't fit in with reality.

5090950_G.jpg

That poll was based on invalid sampling, as was discussed in another OH thread by people with expertise in the field.

You came on here pretending to be an admirer of both the Royals and Orioles. What you have posted since indicates something else.

Apparently you felt bad for Red Sox nation. I have zero sympathy for Red Sox. The Orioles did exactly what they needed to that game and I'm very proud that they got to celebrate a small victory. Yes I live in MA too and loathe their fans.

That's irrelevant to his comment. He said the celebration was overboard for a team not going anywhere. And he's right. Act professional, Orioles...at that moment they weren't. I'm an Orioles fan so don't try to make it out that only bias dictates objective opinions. It wasn't a proud moment. You don't have to be a fan of one team or another to recognize that.

The Orioles DID act like they won a playoff series. It was nothing more than negative energy channeled at Boston. That's NOT professional. They were happy for their misery. They couldn't have been happy at being 28 games back.

Archived