Per Roch: What did the Royals do that was so "unlikeable"?

Jagwar

Back during the A's and Angels games, I loved how the Royals were acting. The were just having fun and it reminded me teams during the college world series. They're not trying to be all emotionless and professional like most athletes, but who cares. Of course, when you're the one that they're having their fun at the expense of is when it changes things.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really didn't have issues with the on-field antics. You are either able to back those things up or you're not- and if you're not- ultimate justice comes quick in the form of "L's". I also think if fast forward 15 years there's a scrappy young Orioles club doing those kind of things (and backing them up)- most of us will probably be applauding their "pluck" and "boys of summer" attitude, etc.

What I didn't like was that as far as I could tell there was virtually ZERO acknowledgment by their ownership, front office or manager of the tremendous season the Orioles had had- and how competitive the series had been notwithstanding the 4-0 score. Definitely not on the field after the game- and not in any of the interview clips I've seen/read since. It's certainly not obligatory to say those kind of things- but I do think that is sort of something that separates the class organizations from just the regular ones. As of now- can't really say that I include Kansas City (as an organization) in the former column. Not "sour grapes"- just is what it is.

As always- I felt Buck continued to distinguish himself as a true gentleman equally capable of meeting both triumph (Detroit) and disaster (KC) and treating each imposter the same. So pleased he is the "voice" (and face) of our franchise.:thumbsup1:

Kansas City does not owe Baltimore a pat on the back.

Buck is certainly a class a though.

While what the Royals did annoyed me, I was kind of OK with it. I thought to myself, "If the O?s were doing this, I think that I'd be pumped."

Most find the fist pumping, bat flips, or things like the Rangers' claws or antlers to be disrespectful. Baseball has a different culture than football. I actually think that some of it is OK; I like to see players getting excited with their teammates. But there is a fine line. I don't like things focuses or directed at an opposing player.

I found Guthrie's shirt to be disrespectful; I wouldn't expect that from him. He should have known better than to wear that to a press conference. While I'm glad he apologized to some of his former teammates, he lost points with me.

Don't like it? Score some runs and win some games. That will shut em up.

Some people just take sports too seriously.

What does that have to do with us fans? We have no control over the game results. I never heard Buck or any Orioles complain about it. They handled defeat with way more class then the Royals did victory. And Roch is right about Ned Yost. He's a complete idiot along for the ride. You can see that everytime he talks. Hosmer and his smirk, Moustakas and his roid rage, and Dyson running his mouth while plucking the splinters out of his a $$ can all go to hell. I hope the Giants bury them.

Regardless of what KC has done, I'll never admit to reading this board, it's down right embarrassing. One moderator even suggest KC was on the 'lifting juice'. Then there is the narcissist couple.

Time for me to bow out, maybe someday they'll have a board for adults.

Awww...I'm sad about this. Psych...

Regardless of what KC has done, I'll never admit to reading this board, it's down right embarrassing. One moderator even suggest KC was on the 'lifting juice'. Then there is the narcissist couple.

Good luck finding a place where sports fans are all 100% magnanimous the day after losing in the playoffs. You might need to switch to cricket. Good job, chap, way to kick my arse! (Golf clap)

Guest rochester

Wow... just, wow.

My biggest problem on all this is how many defend Guthrie for his classless shirt, let alone what the song is about.... he apologized? Big $%$ deal... what, is he acting ignorant, puts his finger in his mouth, pouts and says he is sorry. Gimme a break... I still believe there is more "behind the scenes" to why he left. IMO he may be a little bit less naive and "gee golly shucks" than some believe..

Dyson? not worth it. The Cards are my second favorite team so if they get in there is no question who my choice is.

Each of the Royals players have been coming up with their own little things they do when they get a hit or make a play. They've been doing it all year long and nobody has had any problems with it all.

Where I will agree it crosses the fine line is Dyson and Guthrie. Dyson should have stopped when he said he didn't think it would go back to Baltimore. Fine. He didn't need to add that he thought they felt the same way. Guthrie's shirt with an O's logo on it...I think the particular play on the song's phrase was kinda funny, but yes, disrespectful to the other team. I heard somebody say (can't remember where) that you shouldn't speak for the other clubhouse. That I would completely agree with, and I hope they're learning from that. They're all brand new to this, remember, and it's hitting them very quickly. Instant reaction isn't always perfect.

As for the antics on the field, though, none of that is ever directed at the other team or anything like that. These guys are making plays and having fun. Hosmer's "shoulder shrug" is indeed like he's putting a back pack on. It's like a get on my back and I'll carry you kinda thing to the team. There's a common theme of "who's going to drive the bus today" because different players at different times have made big plays all year long, and again, they each kinda come up with their own little thing to celebrate back towards the team.

I actually have thought to myself that I bet Hosmer's smirk would annoy me if he wasn't a Royals player. The thing is, though, that's only if/when he's doing it to my team. That's such a big part of this, that is completely understandable, but you all have to acknowledge it at some point. They're jacked up, they're making big plays in prime time, and they're having a hell of a time doing it. I don't think you have nearly as much of a problem with it if it wasn't that it was happening at the expense of your home team and your heart.

I will say, too, that all baseball fans in KC have said coming up to the series, during the series, and after the series that the O's organization is fantastic, and we'd all love to see us both in this mix a lot more often. Yost may or may not have ever mentioned the O's in his official press conferences (I can't find an unedited one at this point) but I can tell you he's mentioned them and their success numerous times on interviews with our local sports networks and the like. We all know Baltimore is a great baseball town and that they were very successful this year. It's what makes it all the more fun for all of us involved.

I hope that when some of the sting wears off and after some exciting games in the series the Royals may be able to pull some of you back on their side. They are representing the American League, and, well, damn the Cardinals and Giants! It's our turn!!

Each of the Royals players have been coming up with their own little things they do when they get a hit or make a play. They've been doing it all year long and nobody has had any problems with it all.

Where I will agree it crosses the fine line is Dyson and Guthrie. Dyson should have stopped when he said he didn't think it would go back to Baltimore. Fine. He didn't need to add that he thought they felt the same way. Guthrie's shirt with an O's logo on it...I think the particular play on the song's phrase was kinda funny, but yes, disrespectful to the other team. I heard somebody say (can't remember where) that you shouldn't speak for the other clubhouse. That I would completely agree with, and I hope they're learning from that. They're all brand new to this, remember, and it's hitting them very quickly. Instant reaction isn't always perfect.

As for the antics on the field, though, none of that is ever directed at the other team or anything like that. These guys are making plays and having fun. Hosmer's "shoulder shrug" is indeed like he's putting a back pack on. It's like a get on my back and I'll carry you kinda thing to the team. There's a common theme of "who's going to drive the bus today" because different players at different times have made big plays all year long, and again, they each kinda come up with their own little thing to celebrate back towards the team.

I actually have thought to myself that I bet Hosmer's smirk would annoy me if he wasn't a Royals player. The thing is, though, that's only if/when he's doing it to my team. That's such a big part of this, that is completely understandable, but you all have to acknowledge it at some point. They're jacked up, they're making big plays in prime time, and they're having a hell of a time doing it. I don't think you have nearly as much of a problem with it if it wasn't that it was happening at the expense of your home team and your heart.

I will say, too, that all baseball fans in KC have said coming up to the series, during the series, and after the series that the O's organization is fantastic, and we'd all love to see us both in this mix a lot more often. Yost may or may not have ever mentioned the O's in his official press conferences (I can't find an unedited one at this point) but I can tell you he's mentioned them and their success numerous times on interviews with our local sports networks and the like. We all know Baltimore is a great baseball town and that they were very successful this year. It's what makes it all the more fun for all of us involved.

I hope that when some of the sting wears off and after some exciting games in the series the Royals may be able to pull some of you back on their side. They are representing the American League, and, well, damn the Cardinals and Giants! It's our turn!!

Na. You might be a nice enough guy and all. But. We will root against you thank you. I don't think you will win again.

Archived