Tim Pahuta Joins 32 MILB players to Sue over Wages

weams

But I don't think that is what they are really wanting. If MLB said' date=' "here's 7 dollars an hour for the 5 months you work for us," I can't imagine minor league players will say, "problem solved."[/quote']

The would be ok with the close to 10k dollars, game day food and on road lodging. But I think they want paid for the other month and a half as well.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But I don't think that is what they are really wanting. If MLB said' date=' "here's 7 dollars an hour for the 5 months you work for us," I can't imagine minor league players will say, "problem solved."[/quote']

If I had to guess what they want from the wording of their filing it would probably be the Minor Leagues forming a Union, a larger contribution from MLB toward Minor League payrolls, and a nice settlement for back pay. I don't think they have a leg to stand on from numerous points of view but the Lawyers are probably hoping for a settlement.

The would be ok with the close to 10k dollars, game day food and on road lodging. But I think they want paid for the other month and a half as well.

What do they do when they are not on the road? Do they still have host family programs? At any level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do they do when they are not on the road? Do they still have host family programs? At any level?

That is a team by team, booster club by booster club issue. Not part of the MLB funded items. And yes many of them do and many of them live with four other guys. And sometimes they live with their girlfriends.

That is a team by team, booster club by booster club issue. Not part of the MLB funded items. And yes many of them do and many of them live with four other guys. And sometimes they live with their girlfriends.

http://makingthemajors.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/qa-jennifer-pendergraft-assistant-gm-of-the-visalia-rawhides/#more-128

How often do host families and players keep in contact after the season/after the player has moved on through the rest of the minor-league system?

It’s very rare when a player does not stay in touch with his host family. I have so many stories that I could share… I had a player call his host family from the Dominican Republic during the off-season to wish them a Merry Christmas. And probably the greatest Host Family story that we have here inVisaliais between Ubaldo Jimenez (Colorado Rockies pitcher) and the Host Family he stayed with during his time here inVisalia. He flies them to all his big games, All Start appearances, etc. They go to visit him in the Dominican whenever they can. And the Family’s eldest daughter is the God Mother to Ubaldo’s daughter. It’s the most heart-warming Host Family story out there.

I don't have the numbers handy, but a few years back I did some basic math and found that paying all Orioles farmhands an average salary of $50,000/year would cost a total of about $3M.

I think improving wages for minor league players is well within the capabilities of current major league players and management. Splitting the cost of the (very generous) package described above 50/50 between union members and management would mean about a 1-2% decrease in player salaries, for instance.

But I think current MLB players need to take the lead here.

I pray that they win this case. It will then allow more american born players to stay in the game. This will only help the long term health of MLB. To the Latin players, these low wages are a step up to the situations at home. If the minor league wages were increased to a fair level you will see more teams minor league systems with American born players. The current system is stack against draft eligible players. I would also implement an age requirement for all minor league teams.

I absolutely do not think that any race, creed, or national origin is misrepresented in the MiLB due to anything more than interest in the sport as a youth and skill level combined with dedication to repetitive practice. I welcome players from all over the world to compete at the highest level as does the sport.

I pray that they win this case. It will then allow more american born players to stay in the game. This will only help the long term health of MLB. To the Latin players, these low wages are a step up to the situations at home. If the minor league wages were increased to a fair level you will see more teams minor league systems with American born players. The current system is stack against draft eligible players. I would also implement an age requirement for all minor league teams.

What's so good about American born players?

What's so good about American born players?

Nothing. But the current system makes it so that fringe level American born players are less likely to stick out the minor league system because they can make more money elsewhere due to their being more opportunities in the US. The current system remains the best monetary option for players from other countries who would not otherwise be able to remain in the US and wouldn't be able to make MILB money in their country.

Logically, a small handful of these fringe type players eventually develop into into Major Leaguers but the American portion of the pool of players has been eliminated and thus the overall quality of players in MLB is ever so slightly lowered.

More Americans in the low level minor leagues with no realistic chance of making the big leagues will do absolutely nothing for the game. International players have been a net positive for the game. If any Americans are turned off by Latino players, they are not the kind of audience I want MLB to pursue. I am all for improving pay and conditions for the minor leagues but I could care less about what that would do for the racial/ethnic makeup of the league.

Nothing. But the current system makes it so that fringe level American born players are less likely to stick out the minor league system because they can make more money elsewhere due to their being more opportunities in the US. The current system remains the best monetary option for players from other countries who would not otherwise be able to remain in the US and wouldn't be able to make MILB money in their country.

Logically, a small handful of these fringe type players eventually develop into into Major Leaguers but the American portion of the pool of players has been eliminated and thus the overall quality of players in MLB is ever so slightly lowered.

Logically, that doesn't follow for a bunch of reasons. You're assuming the cost of paying that extra price is worth the benefit of the additional fringe players. But that isn't necessarily true. I'm also not sure where the increased cost, for increased attraction of talent would ever end by your logic.

My thoughts-

MLB salaries are obscene.

Most MiLB players are there to hone the skills of serious prospects. As such they are effectively trainers, not potential MLB players. This, IMO, is where much of the ugliness lies.

There is no 'supply and demand' in American baseball. It is a monopoly.

I'm absolutely stunned by this....

These minor league clubs are professional clubs, right? And these guys only derive income for playing for them, right? So they are professional athletes and should at bare minimum be getting minimum wage.

But the kicker for me is that the big league players are paid such outrageously obscene amounts of money, so there is absolutely no excuse why some of this money doesn't filter down through their affiliates to ensure a good quality of life.

And if this is commonplace across the game, then a club bucking the trend and paying their minor leaguers well, would by default obtain a competitive advantage against rivals as they would become a more attractive farm system to develop within. Unless there is some sort of cartel going on which would prevent this.

I am still just flabbergasted at this...

Archived