Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. Roch, who works for MASN said that the deal that both sides had been working on for two weeks centered around four years. Maybe it is more than 10 million AAV. But I would doubt it could be less. It wasn't a tweet. It was an article. He also said he expected it to be done. Shortly. My guess is tomorrow. Before 5 PM.

Whatever the deal is. I will admit DD is a smarter baseball man than I. If he's comfortable with the deal, we all should be. We've been to the playoffs 2/3 years. Some will be ready to fire DD if the deal goes down.

Whatever the deal is. I will admit DD is a smarter baseball man than I. If he's comfortable with the deal, we all should be. We've been to the playoffs 2/3 years. Some will be ready to fire DD if the deal goes down.

He is a bunch smarter than me. But then, he's a pro's pro.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Fj5-JDkIHhY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go get him to play RF.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Fj5-JDkIHhY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go get him to play RF.

I hate Rasmus. No thank you. Without the white shirt guy? He's even worse.

And Markakis is an average baseball player. If he plays everyday' date=' he will give you about 2 WAR in his good years, a negative WAR in his bad years. [/quote']

Here's where I think there is a fallacy in a lot of people's logic. 2.0 WAR is about average for a major league starting position player in a given season. But being an average position player year in and year out is not that easy. Over the last four years, only 116 position players have accumulated 8.0 fWAR. That's fewer than four per team. Therefore, players who can produce 8 WAR in four years have a lot of value. (By the way, I'm not saying I'm confident that Nick Markakis will produce 8 WAR over the next four seasons. I'm just making a point about the value of a consistent player.)

Here's where I think there is a fallacy in a lot of people's logic. 2.0 WAR is about average for a major league starting position player in a given season. But being an average position player year in and year out is not that easy. Over the last four years, only 116 position players have accumulated 8.0 fWAR. That's fewer than four per team. Therefore, players who can produce 8 WAR in four years have a lot of value. (By the way, I'm not saying I'm confident that Nick Markakis will produce 8 WAR over the next four seasons. I'm just making a point about the value of a consistent player.)

For the record (and I am sure Frobby wasn't trying to be deceptive), Nick is not one of those 116. He has 5.8 fWAR over the last four seasons.

How much money was spent on those players?

We keep looking at free agents and thinking, well they suck this year, so we'll live with someone this year and hope to get a free agent next year. Bottom line about free agents is that they are all old and overpriced. You can't go that route any more. Next year, they will be old and over priced and they will continue to be old and over priced until such time as the bargaining agreement between players and owners changes. So, the answer is to sign Nick and develop a right fielder.

All those who want our window to be wide should focus on player development and drafting. That is our only shot. Keep Nick, he's better than anyone besides Cabrera and do we really want to go there?

Maybe Yastrzemski is ready in 2-3 years, that would be nice.

We keep looking at free agents and thinking, well they suck this year, so we'll live with someone this year and hope to get a free agent next year. Bottom line about free agents is that they are all old and overpriced. You can't go that route any more. Next year, they will be old and over priced and they will continue to be old and over priced until such time as the bargaining agreement between players and owners changes. So, the answer is to sign Nick and develop a right fielder.

All those who want our window to be wide should focus on player development and drafting. That is our only shot. Keep Nick, he's better than anyone besides Cabrera and do we really want to go there?

Maybe Yastrzemski is ready in 2-3 years, that would be nice.

Given your argurment why not just make a QO

He will either accept it which gives you another year to "develop" his replacement

or he declines it and you have a top 40 draft pick to draft his replacement.

He will either accept it which gives you another year to "develop" his replacement

Giving him a QO is a far better option than giving him a long term contract, in my opinion. I'd rather pay him 15 for one year over 40 over 4.

If he doesn't agree to terms by 5 tomorrow, they may well.

Archived