Why No QO to Markakis?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I missed that report, do you have a source for that?
I haven't read that, either.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/markakis-agent-to-meet-with-multiple-clubs-this-week.html

According to (Dan) Connolly, the two sides were at one point nearing agreement on a four-year pact that would have paid Markakis $10-12MM annually. However, the agreement was never reached, and the two sides haven’t had any meaningful discussions in a week...

Source link:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-markakis-rep-to-meet-with-other-clubs-for-first-time-20141110-story.html

Well if that's true, Nick's crazy. No team should be so desperate that they would offer more 3/36. He should have taken the money and run.

Personally I think a lot of people are underestimating Nicks value on the open market in a market with a supply of hitters that is horribly weak

He is a solid consistent bat in terms of his yearly numbers even if they are slightly down over the past few seasons. He gets on base at a good clip and in spite of the incessant whining by some that he can't play RF, its just not true, he is perfectly fine out there. I fully expect given his age, production and history as a solid consistent player he will get a four year deal that ranges from 44-56 million. (11-14 per)

Never underestimate the willingness of a GM whose ass is on the line if their team does not win this upcoming year to spend his owners money

Thanks. When you go the source link, here is what it says:

The widely held sense was that they were nearing a four-year agreement worth in the neighborhood of $10 million to $12 million per season

To me, that is not solid information that such an offer was made and turned down. I don't know what the "widely held sense" even means, except that some reporters were speculating that the parties would land there.

Personally I think a lot of people are underestimating Nicks value on the open market in a market with a supply of hitters that is horribly weak

He is a solid consistent bat in terms of his yearly numbers even if they are slightly down over the past few seasons. He gets on base at a good clip and in spite of the incessant whining by some that he can't play RF, its just not true, he is perfectly fine out there. I fully expect given his age, production and history as a solid consistent player he will get a four year deal that ranges from 44-56 million. (11-14 per)

Never underestimate the willingness of a GM whose ass is on the line if their team does not win this upcoming year to spend his owners money

His power numbers are down substantially. He had much more impact on the offense when he was good for 44 doubles a year.

To me, that is not solid information that such an offer was made and turned down. I don't know what the "widely held sense" even means, except that some reporters were speculating that the parties would land there.

Nick himself thought it would get done. He did not permit his agent to schedule any meetings or take any offers until yesterday.

Well if that's true, Nick's crazy. No team should be so desperate that they would offer more 3/36. He should have taken the money and run.

Nick and his modest power numbers are not worth more than about 10m per season. There will be a team that offers him more! There's always one foolish GM.

I have no problem with paying Markakis $10 mill next year. I am very worried about what his production would be in year 3 or 4 of a 4 year deal. The O's could be paying $10 mill+ for Lough's bat w/ no glove. Markakis above average OBP and good arm is much more replaceable than Cruz's 30-40 hr power.

His power numbers are down substantially. He had much more impact on the offense when he was good for 44 doubles a year.

I agree with this sentiment. I would not want the O's to commit that kind of money over 4 yrs to Nick at this stage of his career.

My point is that someone more than likely will. They almost always do unless there is a QO attached which there is not in Nicks case

Interesting. The verbage has been changed. What I posted is exactly what it said last night.

Listening to Duq XM just now, he said that the delay with Markakis' signing is with the owner's sons. So after letting it sit on their desk for a week, Nick's agent decided to test the market. He also said they had a MiL deal with Wada that the owner nixed because he was PO'd at Wada's lack of production.

Listening to Duq XM just now, he said that the delay with Markakis' signing is with the owner's sons. So after letting it sit on their desk for a week, Nick's agent decided to test the market. He also said they had a MiL deal with Wada that the owner nixed because he was PO'd at Wada's lack of production.

Jim?

Archived