How about this for a bold move?

webbrick2010

Everyone is discussing trading Norris or Gonzo, how about trading Tillman

He was our de-facto ace last year and is in his first arbitration year so he should be a highly sought after guy.

I think he over achieved last year and is likely to regress

Sell high candidate?

What do you think we could get for him

Need Andy McPhail to work a little Eric Bedard magic

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was our de-facto ace last year and is in his first arbitration year so he should be a highly sought after guy.

Sell high candidate?

Who would we be getting in return? We'd have to get a nice haul. I like the idea depending on how far away Bundy is.

Who would we be getting in return? We'd have to get a nice haul. I like the idea depending on how far away Bundy is.

We could also sign another starter if Tillman were traded for a big return.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Chen be the bold move. He's only here for one more season.

Sell high candidate?

In a way this would kind of extend the Bedard trade, since that's where we acquired Tillman to start with. Maybe some of the residual magic is still left?

Bedard was a premium player on a team going nowhere and who was going to make substantially more money. Tillman is a cost controlled player on a team competing for a championship. It would be a bold move but not a helpful move DD is looking for more players like Tillman, not trading them away. A better bold move would be to lock him up for 4 more years at a reasonable cost.

I'd like to get a solid ML LH bullpen arm to replace Miller/Matusz

a young ML ready corner outfielder in the Adam Jones mold (top 3 team prospect)

and than a top 10 starting pitching prospect who could be A level with TOR type potential

Who has those pieces???

I know the Cubs have stockpiles a lot of talent

Tillman and Arietta back together again at the top of the Cubs rotation?

Sell high candidate?

No thanks. That's not bold, it's bad.

Bedard was a premium player on a team going nowhere and who was going to make substantially more money. Tillman is a cost controlled player on a team competing for a championship. It would be a bold move but not a helpful move DD is looking for more players like Tillman, not trading them away. A better bold move would be to lock him up for 4 more years at a reasonable cost.

Of course you are being sensible and sound here.

No thanks. That's not bold, it's bad.

Nice analysis, I wonder were you one of the folks against the Bedard trade?

I recall most being really upset at that trade

Between Free Agency and arbitration raises the O's are going to be springing leaks up and down their roster.

A multiple player for one type trade could solidify their competitiveness for the rest of the decade.

Bedard was a premium player on a team going nowhere, and who was going to make substantially more money. Tillman is a cost-controlled player on a team competing for a championship. It would be a bold move, but not a helpful move. Duquette is looking for more players like Tillman, not trading them away. A better bold move would be to lock him up for 4 more years at a reasonable cost.

That's a very stark contrast.

Thanks.

Nice analysis, I wonder were you one of the folks against the Bedard trade?

I recall most being really upset at that trade

Between Free Agency and arbitration raises the O's are going to be springing leaks up and down their roster.

A multiple player for one type trade could solidify their competitiveness for the rest of the decade.

I did not want to analyze you. I came not to praise the idea, but to bury it. I was all for Bedard. And was a big Andy MacPhail fan. At the time. We've moved on. We are a perennial contender. You play that short game differently.

You can recall what you want. I was all for the trade that gave us Adam and Chris. Go think what you like.

I disagree with this part most of all. Scarecrow. ;)

I'll preface my response with Chris Tillman is my favorite Orioles starter.

I don't think this idea is bad in theory. I just don't see it being implemented in the Orioles benefit. Baltimore has been pretty fortunate in that the cost of the rotation is very moderate. Going forward they have Tillman and Gonzalez entering their arbitration years and Jimenez' contract for another 3 years. They do have Gausman and potentially Bundy filling in at pre-arb prices. But the overall cost of the rotation is increasing in the future years.

Tillman may be able to bring you a good return. But it's very risky. If you trade him, you are banking on Jimenez and Bundy. You also have Gausman and Gonzalez. But you are likely losing Norris in Chen which leaves you 4 in 2016.

As to the proposed Cubs trade. Why would the Cubs do it? They are flushed with cash, why not buy a starting pitcher(s) and keep the farm in tact? If they are to give up pieces of the farm, would Tillman really be their target with other options available?

I'd need other examples to look at closer. I think the days of getting Butler, Tillman, and Jones for a starting pitcher are less likely.

Archived