How about this for a bold move?

webbrick2010

I don't think it is a terrible idea to propose. Tillman is good, but not untouchable. If you could get a ton more for him in a trade than you could get for any of the other pitchers, I think it would be worthwhile to look at. However, I'd be pretty reluctant to trade the one guy on our staff who has proven he can throw 200+ innings.

The bolded part is the key.

It would have to be a return that you just can't say no to. I think its unlikely that a deal goes down that fits that definition but its not impossible and Tillman is not untouchable.

Honestly I would not move any of our starters unless it was a deal that brings back something of value that makes us a better team now and moving forward.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As to the OP, I really do believe that DD would move anyone in the right deal. I also believe moving Tillman would be a bold and daring move. I do not think the type of pieces that were advocated in the OP are helpful in the way that the Bedard move was helpful. The O's got lot's of cost controlled pieces with upside at a time when their 40 man roster included way, way too many AAAA pieces.

In general, the O's are in a pretty good position because if someone blows them away they can move any of the pitchers. A crystal ball on where Bundy will be would certainly be helpful. I just checked my magic 8 ball and unfortunately it said, "Ask again later." But I don't think a pitcher is moved just to move them. DD has worked hard to stockpile ML talent and I don't think he is in a rush to deplete it.

If he moves a pitcher it's because he is blown away and I think it would be to bring in talent ready to perform in the lineup now. My 2 cents anyway.

The bolded part is the key.

It would have to be a return that you just can't say no to. I think its unlikely that a deal goes down that fits that definition but its not impossible and Tillman is not untouchable.

Honestly I would not move any of our starters unless it was a deal that brings back something of value that makes us a better team now and moving forward.[/QUOTE]

Me either, and if we are all in for 2015 I see no way to justify trading Bud Norris for salary relief

Of course if we don't spend 10+ million on Markakis there is no need for salary relief, and I'm all for letting Markakis (but that's another very long thread <lol>)

S

As to the OP, I really do believe that DD would move anyone in the right deal. I also believe moving Tillman would be a bold and daring move. I do not think the type of pieces that were advocated in the OP are helpful in the way that the Bedard move was helpful. The O's got lot's of cost controlled pieces with upside at a time when their 40 man roster included way, way too many AAAA pieces.

In general, the O's are in a pretty good position because if someone blows them away they can move any of the pitchers. A crystal ball on where Bundy will be would certainly be helpful. I just checked my magic 8 ball and unfortunately it said, "Ask again later." But I don't think a pitcher is moved just to move them. DD has worked hard to stockpile ML talent and I don't think he is in a rush to deplete it.

If he moves a pitcher it's because he is blown away and I think it would be to bring in talent ready to perform in the lineup now. My 2 cents anyway.

The return would be like the Fister deal you would not love it. Maybe better because Chris is cheaper. If someone had an offer that is mp roved our major league club for this year I would consider. For prospects I would not agree.

A lot of this IMO is DD doing his due diligence. DD is a guy who if anything likes to be prepared for eventualities. Thus all the depth in the minors, roster moves to keep guys etc.

There is still a lot left to be determined. I can't see DD sitting back waiting till (if) Cruz or Nick signs somewhere else and saying...oh snap guess I better figure something else out. He is a guy who is going to lay some groundwork and determine what kind of return he can get if those things should come to pass. Shopping Bud, Chen, or anyone else should not make anyone conclude either would be moved, it should only signal that our GM is exploring options if other things happens.

S

The return would be like the Fister deal you would not love it. Maybe better because Chris is cheaper. If someone had an offer that is mp roved our major league club for this year I would consider. For prospects I would not agree.

I think this is an excellent point. I don't think Tillman is a guy that teams would be knocking us over with offers. I think DD could get a good return on him, but it won't be for a player making a difference in our lineup in 2015. The only guy who I could conceivably see as that type of player, and who has been rumored to be available, is Kendrick. And...we don't need a second baseman.

Archived