Hanley Ramirez to Boston; Cruz to Seattle or Baltimore? (Panda a BoSox too)

weams

I thought 5/$90m was fine but not a great deal for the Red Sox. 4/$88m with a $22m 5th year vesting option is definitely an overpay. Particularly when you consider that Hanley is a below average defensive SS now and likely won't play either of his two best positions (SS & 3B) with Boston. He's missed significant time the past two seasons with injuries, too.

The thing is, Boston has been successful unloading unwanted contracts before. I am sure they think they can do the same here if needed. I'll be shocked if both Sandavol and Ramirez finish out their contracts in Boston. I will be somewhat surprised if one of them does.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unbelievably bad contract for a SS that can't play SS. Lol. Well done, Boston.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

They're paying for 3.7 wins/year from a guy who's reached that threshold once in the past four years. For ages 31-34. Using the same methodology I used to assign Nick about a 3/30 value (weighted three year average to establish baseline, then declining at half a win a year), I come up with 4/62 for Ramirez. 4/88 is an overpay by about 40% by my math. Unless they think baseball inflation will be 40% over the next four years.

I've read that they plan to play Ramirez in LF.

So their OFs as of now are:

Nava

Bradley

Victorino

Ramirez

Betts

Castillo

Cespedes

Craig

Plus, they have a DH who cannot play the field and thus, they likely won't be able to use the DH slot for any of this glut.

Good luck trying to find any takers for Victorino and Craig. Cespedes is probably tradable, as is Bradley. Maybe Nava for a bad reliever.

That's almost verbatim what we heard about Prince Fielder when he signed his giant contract.

He had a herniated disc in his neck. I doubt that is from an excess of neck fat. Kind of hard to know when the problem started. His first year with Det was damn good. The second a bit of a down year (was he having issues with his disc then?). Last year was a lost cause.

Just because he is fat doesn't mean that is why he struggled a bit in 2013. The jury is still out.

He had a herniated disc in his neck. I doubt that is from an excess of neck fat. Kind of hard to know when the problem started. His first year with Det was damn good. The second a bit of a down year (was he having issues with his disc then?). Last year was a lost cause.

Just because he is fat doesn't mean that is why he struggled a bit in 2013. The jury is still out.

I think there is at least strong anecdotal evidence that very heavy players tend to age poorly.

So their OFs as of now are:

Nava

Bradley

Victorino

Ramirez

Betts

Castillo

Cespedes

Craig

Plus, they have a DH who cannot play the field and thus, they likely won't be able to use the DH slot for any of this glut.

Good luck trying to find any takers for Victorino and Craig. Cespedes is probably tradable, as is Bradley. Maybe Nava for a bad reliever.

Honestly I would take a shot at Craig if you can buy low on him. Prior to last year the guy was really pretty good. He is an excellent buy low candidate for someone I think

Honestly I would take a shot at Craig if you can buy low on him. Prior to last year the guy was really pretty good. He is an excellent buy low candidate for someone I think

I can't imagine that they want to improve us after spending 200 million to beat us. So if they would send him here, they think something is wrong.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sandoval’s agent, Gustavo Vasquez, finally acknowledging that deal with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RedSox?src=hash">#RedSox</a> is done. Pending physical. Press conference tomorrow.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">November 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Might not be the worst option if we are unable to resign Cruz. However, I know many who worry that his left foot problem may be career-threatening. That said, I wouldn't object to trading say, TJ McFarland, for him.

Archived