Hanley Ramirez to Boston; Cruz to Seattle or Baltimore? (Panda a BoSox too)

weams

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not only real expensive...but really improved.

Maybe they're going to go all Dodgers on us and have a $200M+ payroll that involves a bunch of new stars. But I'm just not all that concerned with like $200M spent on post-peak guys with red flags. Tons of money for a past-30 shortstop with tons of injury history, and $100M for a third baseman with Prince Fielder's body and 16 homers/39 walks in the NL? And now they're almost forced to trade Bogaerts, who I would certainly rather have than Ramirez' contract.

Seems the majority of Red Sox fans aren't so sure about the Michelin Man (panda)

Lots of great players fit the short-but-powerful mold. Not as many where actually spherical. The Tigers were reconsidering Prince Fielder about 25 minutes after the ink was dry, and the Rangers may not be all that thrilled, either.

Me either. We would be fine with no Nick, No Cruz and especially no Melky. We have a good team. Besides, Matt may have to DH.

I think they need to do something. If they lose Nick's 2 wins, Cruz' 4, Pearce backslides from 6 to 2, and the pitching staff/defense isn't quite so wonderful... that's a lot for Manny and Wieters to make up.

Lots of great players fit the short-but-powerful mold. Not as many where actually spherical. The Tigers were reconsidering Prince Fielder about 25 minutes after the ink was dry, and the Rangers may not be all that thrilled, either.

I don't get the hoopla over Sandoval. He's been a mid-700s OPS guy for the last three years and has not hit more than 16 home runs since 2011. He's Manny Machado's offense (to this point, with MM having a ton more potential) minus the great defense.

Don't get it.

I think they need to do something. If they lose Nick's 2 wins, Cruz' 4, Pearce backslides from 6 to 2, and the pitching staff/defense isn't quite so wonderful... that's a lot for Manny and Wieters to make up.

Chris Davis, Kevin Gausman. Some other 2 WAR guy. De Aza would not be zero as a Nick Replacement. I'm not that concerned, it is a good process that they have going for us. Heck, Hassan could go all Pearce for us.

I don't get the hoopla over Sandoval. He's been a mid-700s OPS guy for the last three years and has not hit more than 16 home runs since 2011. He's Manny Machado's offense (to this point, with MM having a ton more potential) minus the great defense.

Don't get it.

Because when his TEAM makes the postseason, all of a sudden he hits like Babe Ruth and the media goes insane over him. The media has created this mystique about Sandoval that doesn't come anywhere close to matching the player he actually he is. Good player, maybe could do better in the AL, but not the hitter people have seen in the playoffs.

Don't get it.

He's a pretty good player, and when he hits .315 or .330 he's a really good player. But he hasn't hit .300 since 2011, he has Vlad's plate discipline and approach, and Prince Fielder's body. And he's already had two seasons where he played less than 120 games. For me that's just way too many red flags to sign to a 9-figure contract. But the Sox' calculus is probably different, with their revenues and the whole last place thing hanging on a franchise that expects Championships.

Sweet. What a waste for a decent player.

Wow, if Panda gets nearly $20 million a year what the hell is Cruz worth? Boston are complete nutbags. Good player but there is no way I'm giving a guy with that body that contract. Not to mention that he's been a good regular season player, not great. This is a big time overpay and I'm glad to see the Red Sox do this. Now how long will it take for the Dodgers to trade for him and take this terrible contract off their hands?

Wow, if Panda gets nearly $20 million a year what the hell is Cruz worth? Boston are complete nutbags. Good player but there is no way I'm giving a guy with that body that contract. Not to mention that he's been a good regular season player, not great. This is a big time overpay and I'm glad to see the Red Sox do this. Now how long will it take for the Dodgers to trade for him and take this terrible contract off their hands?

I think the idea is for LA to lower it's payroll by 70 million annually. So we shall see.

He's a pretty good player, and when he hits .315 or .330 he's a really good player. But he hasn't hit .300 since 2011, he has Vlad's plate discipline and approach, and Prince Fielder's body. And he's already had two seasons where he played less than 120 games. For me that's just way too many red flags to sign to a 9-figure contract. But the Sox' calculus is probably different, with their revenues and the whole last place thing hanging on a franchise that expects Championships.

Yup - hopefully the burden his contract brings will be similar to Crawford's and they'll be looking to move him. I think Hanley could be a good signing for them, depending on where he plays. Some are suggesting the outfield, which is also quite backed in Beantown as of now.

Because when his TEAM makes the postseason, all of a sudden he hits like Babe Ruth and the media goes insane over him. The media has created this mystique about Sandoval that doesn't come anywhere close to matching the player he actually he is. Good player, maybe could do better in the AL, but not the hitter people have seen in the playoffs.

I agree with all of this.

I guess they are figuring that he'll hit better in Fenway than in San Francisco. Even so, I agree it seems pretty crazy.

Archived