Rushing talent

wildcard

We have watched the O's management rush Schoop to the majors. There was a need at 2B. Schoop had the defensive ability to fill it, though his offense had not developed to major league standards yet. So the O's are not above rushing talent when there is a need.

Dariel Alvarez has shown ability at AA, but hasn't had much time at AAA. He has talent according to reports. His arm is probably better than Nick's. His range may be similar. His offense probably needs a little more development. Will the O's rush the 26 year old Cuban before he proves himself at AAA? There may be a need soon.

Christian Walker hit 26 homes and drove in 96 runs with an 846 OPS between AA-AAA last year. He is a 4th round pick out of a good program at the University of South Carolina. He will be 24 on March 28th. His offense may be a little ahead of his defensive ability. But he does not need defense to DH. He hasn't proven himself at AAA yet. Will the O's rush him with Cruz leaving?

Another element of this question is the budget. The O's payroll was about 107M in 2014. They have increased the payroll about 10M per year in recent years. With eleven arbitration eligible players this off season the current O's payroll using MLBTR's projections is about 114M without Nick. This may be pushing Duquette to use younger players to meet the budget? Just a guess. Don't know for sure but it is something to consider.

The O's made it to the AL league championship series while rushing Schoop. Rushing Alvarez and Walker may not be what a team does that wants to go the the World Series, or is it?

We have watched the O's management rush Schoop to the majors. There was a need at 2B. Schoop had the defensive ability to fill it, though his offense had not developed to major league standards yet. So the O's are not above rushing talent when there is a need.

Dariel Alvarez has shown ability at AA, but hasn't had much time at AAA. He has talent according to reports. His arm is probably better than Nick's. His range may be similar. His offense probably needs a little more development. Will the O's rush the 26 year old Cuban before he proves himself at AAA? There may be a need soon.

Christian Walker hit 26 homes and drove in 96 runs with an 846 OPS between AA-AAA last year. He is a 4th round pick out of a good program at the University of South Carolina. He will be 24 on March 28th. His offense may be a little ahead of his defensive ability. But he does not need defense to DH. He hasn't proven himself at AAA yet. Will the O's rush him with Cruz leaving?

Another element of this question is the budget. The O's payroll was about 107M in 2014. They have increased the payroll about 10M per year in recent years. With eleven arbitration eligible players this off season the current O's payroll using MLBTR's projections is about 114M without Nick. This may be pushing Duquette to use younger players to meet the budget? Just a guess. Don't know for sure but it is something to consider.

The O's made it to the AL league championship series while rushing Schoop. Rushing Alvarez and Walker may not be what a team does that wants to go the the World Series, or is it?

Wasn't Duquette quoted as saying he had money to sign both Markakis and Cruz?

I think we have to consider that Dan probably did have enough money to sign Nick and Nelson ------ if he traded Davis and Norris. Its all guess work at this point. But raising the budget to 140M may never have been in the cards.
A budget of 140 million was never in the cards. I think about 124 when it is all done.

Do you not think the O's had an offer sitting out there. Most reports had it at 3/45. That makes sense to me.

Just because they were ready to sign Nelson for 3/45 does not mean they might have had to trade Davis to afford him. Again this is all guess work.

Irony...

"Rushing" talent, but not rushing to any hasty off season decisions.

I don't think much of what Duquette does is rushed. I think it's well thought out and calculated. I think Buck would not accept a player who was unready for the big leagues. We have clearly seen a switch in organizational philosophy in both the minor and major leagues towards "professional" players. Just because a player doesn't trout it (yes I turned it into a verb) out of the box and become a league average or above average player, does not mean they were rushed.

Irony...

I don't think much of what Duquette does is rushed. I think it's well thought out and calculated. I think Buck would not accept a player who was unready for the big leagues. We have clearly seen a switch in organizational philosophy in both the minor and major leagues towards "professional" players. Just because a player doesn't trout it (yes I turned it into a verb) out of the box and become a league average or above average player, does not mean they were rushed.

But what if they "Donaldson" or "Pearce" it. Think of all that lost production because they were not played in the Majors at age 22!

Irony...

Rushing is in the eye of the beholder. If a 22 year old hits for a .244 OBP and a .598 OPS, he may have been rushed. The other alternative is that he is not that good but I prefer the rushed idea.

He made offers to keep Cruz and has one on the table to keep Nick.....no evidence to blame money and there shouldn't be!

Rushing is in the eye of the beholder. If a 22 year old hits for a .244 OBP and a .598 OPS, he may have been rushed. The other alternative is that he is not that good but I prefer the rushed idea.

I think Schoop had to earn his job at the beginning of the year over Lombardozzi and Flaherty, which he did, and I think he tailed pretty hard but was forced to keep getting ABs due to the injury to Machado. Which made his end numbers look like he was rushed where as I would probably call it over extended.

I think he will again have to earn his job against Navarro. But earning a job to a certain extent as long as it's not against a straw man is evidence that the team is not trying to rush the player.

Archived