It's time to get on the Colby Rasmus train (Signs w/Houston)

Greg

Man, $4 million is nothing. I guess Buck didn't get a good impression or we are just comically cheap. Or both!

Wow. This offseason is a snoozefest (chime in all the apologists "you don't have to win the offseason...blah blah). We couldn't pony up $4 million for Rasmus? I don't even like Rasmus but that is crazy. We lose Cruz and Kakes and sign nobody and mostly everyone is happy go lucky on here....puzzling).

Listen...let's be real for a second. If Buck was NOT our manager, would everyone here be so confident in inactivity? Ask yourself that question honestly. Buck is supernatural almost. But what happens if we don't have Buck? I think the Tampa Bay Devil Rays may find out just that this season. The whole "a manager only counts for a few games" is malarkey.

DD must be quite focused on improving the Blue Jays roster at this point (I jest here folks but really....what IS the plan? ).

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chime in all the apologists "you don't have to win the offseason...blah blah...We lose Cruz and Kakes and sign nobody and mostly everyone is happy go lucky on here....puzzling

I don't understand why you have to pepper your posts with all these out of place strawman arguments. I don't know of any poster who is "happy go lucky" about our off season. Why do you feel like you need to talk down to the rest of the board when criticizing the FO?

Wow. This offseason is a snoozefest (chime in all the apologists "you don't have to win the offseason...blah blah). We couldn't pony up $4 million for Rasmus? I don't even like Rasmus but that is crazy. We lose Cruz and Kakes and sign nobody and mostly everyone is happy go lucky on here....puzzling).

Listen...let's be real for a second. If Buck was NOT our manager, would everyone here be so confident in inactivity? Ask yourself that question honestly. Buck is supernatural almost. But what happens if we don't have Buck? I think the Tampa Bay Devil Rays may find out just that this season. The whole "a manager only counts for a few games" is malarkey.

DD must be quite focused on improving the Blue Jays roster at this point (I jest here folks but really....what IS the plan? ).

That is the point tho. He is our manager. I think most everyone trusts his judgement of what is best for the team. This has nothing to do with being cheap or Dan secretly working for the Jays. In Buck We Trust.

The bolded makes sense.

Calling a team with a 120 million dolllar payroll "cheap" makes no sense.

Yes its only 4 million but if Buck felt that Rasmus would not fit into his vision of the team then so be it.

I would only consider the Orioles "cheap" in this instance if they were interested in Rasmus and were outbid. Seems to me that Buck wasn't interested, which is fine.

We couldn't pony up $4 million for Rasmus? I don't even like Rasmus but that is crazy.

If you don't like someone, why would you spend $4M on them? It does not make sense to sign someone just to make a move.

$4M is not a lot of money, but if that is indeed what he signed for, it sounds like we didn't like him and did not think he would be a great fit for the club. Let's be honest, it's not a tremendous stretch of the imagination. Rasmus does not exactly have the best reputation around the league of being a team guy.

I would have been fine if we signed Rasmus, but I am fine with not signing him as well. I am completely indifferent on him, because I don't think he is that good. He has a lot of potential, but so far, it has not translated to much of anything. He was good in 2013, but other than that, he is not really head and shoulders above some of the other options that are still out there. People equate his name with cant-miss potential, except he has missed for the most part.

We don't sign a guy for 4 million dollars who could have played 100+ games in the field and yet we gift Matusz 3.2 million dollars.

I'm okay with being cheap... but why did we tender a contract to Matusz.

Makes no sense... unless we are without a GM.

I figured for sure Matusz would be gone by now....that is shocking to me. Why are we paying Matusz that much money unless he was going to be traded?

If you don't like someone, why would you spend $4M on them? It does not make sense to sign someone just to make a move.

$4M is not a lot of money, but if that is indeed what he signed for, it sounds like we didn't like him and did not think he would be a great fit for the club. Let's be honest, it's not a tremendous stretch of the imagination. Rasmus does not exactly have the best reputation around the league of being a team guy.

I would have been fine if we signed Rasmus, but I am fine with not signing him as well. I am completely indifferent on him, because I don't think he is that good. He has a lot of potential, but so far, it has not translated to much of anything. He was good in 2013, but other than that, he is not really head and shoulders above some of the other options that are still out there. People equate his name with cant-miss potential, except he has missed for the most part.

Because $4 million is a lot to us but in baseball, not much at all. If Rasmus stinks (probably will), you cut him and move on. It wasn't a huge risk. We all assumed it was for $7 million....different scenario, right?

Don't forget those two rule v guys!

Because $4 million is a lot to us but in baseball, not much at all. If Rasmus stinks (probably will), you cut him and move on. It wasn't a huge risk. We all assumed it was for $7 million....different scenario, right?

But if we did not like him enough to even offer $4M, you don't just go ahead and sign him anyways and just throw that money in the trash. You are assuming he will stink, but you still want to give him $4M? I just don't understand the logic.

Archived