It's time to get on the Colby Rasmus train (Signs w/Houston)

Greg

I have to think that Buck just didn't think he was a good fit. $4 mm was certainly not a big risk from the standpoint of on-the-field performance.

:agree:

The reality is that this is not the last guy who can help. There will likely be a number of trade opportunities between now and opening day.

I do think this offseason has been disappointing on the whole, none of the decisions individually I can really knock all that much. Just would have liked to see us solidify our position as the front runners in the AL East and perhaps shore up some areas so we can take the next step. Do not think that has happened at all. Think this is a team that could and should win the division but had we added a piece or two could be a team you look at as the FAR and away favorite to do so and an early front runner to make a run at a WS title.

Its tough cause like I said, none of the individual decisions I can knock. Its the body of work or lack thereof that I am not a fan of. Still time though so lets see what happens everyone.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because $4 million is a lot to us but in baseball, not much at all. If Rasmus stinks (probably will), you cut him and move on. It wasn't a huge risk. We all assumed it was for $7 million....different scenario, right?

What about the other 18 teams in baseball that have a lower payroll than Baltimore? Is 4 million a lot to them? How can they have an above average payroll but at the same time be extremely cheap? Baltimore is operating as a mid market team, as it likely should be. A few people here need to stop pretending like they are being run like the A's or Rays. I haven't seen anyone here say they were excited about the offseason. A lot of people just think the team is still pretty good without any major moves. I think everyone would have liked to see more activity even without a lot of dollars spent. Expecting them to act like a mid-market team is not the same as being an "apologist" who is happy about the offseason. I certainly would have liked to see some creativity but I certainly don't think we missed out on any free agents I wanted. I also think that Cruz is the only loss that hurts significantly right now but I certainly wouldn't have supported the deal he got for the Orioles. Nick Markakis simply isn't much of a loss and there is a reason that contract is not being praised throughout the industry. If I were betting on it, I'd actually probably place my wager on David Lough to outWAR him in 2015 if he was getting the playing time. Andrew Miller threw 20 innings for the Orioles last season. 20 innings. The bullpen was already pretty good. Things aren't that bad, and they certainly aren't bad enough to think that Colby Rasmus was going to change them significantly.

Are you trying to claim Delmon Young is an outfielder?

I get that you're being snarky but the guy played 160 innings for us in the OF last year. Besides, between Lough, De Aza, and Pearce, I'm not exactly worried about Young patrolling LF.

I have to think that Buck just didn't think he was a good fit. $4 mm was certainly not a big risk from the standpoint of on-the-field performance.
So it wasn't because Dan is supposedly mailing in the offseason? ;)

ETA It wasn't Buck

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>For fans asking, I keep writing that Buck didn't sour on Rasmus after his visit. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> thought they had deal at around $7 mil, but...</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">January 20, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• 2 months later...

I was curious how Rasmus is doing so far this year so I just looked up his stats. Looks like we're not missing much.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG▼ OBP SLG OPS

10 26 2 5 1 1 1 2 3 10 0 0 .192 .276 .423 .699

Ugh, apparently I don't know how to format this properly but his average is .192.

Archived