Go get aoki

Bumps49

I'm really confused by the people who were in favor of signing Nick but are somehow against acquiring Aoki for 80% of the cost (and a shorter commitment).

Aoki has "less power" than Nick ? Nick Markakis has essentially 0 power. Steamer projects Markakis to have a .391 SLG compared to Aoki .371 - this is a rounding error.

They have essentially identical wRC predicted for next year (105 vs 104). Aoki has the higher projected OBP.

He's being called a poor defender, but nearly every defensive statistic suggests they're awfully similar.

Yes he isn't an 'upgrade' over Nick - but I don't understand why that's suddenly the requirement. Nick isn't an upgrade over Nick either.

Aoki is an adequate replacement that costs less money and will provide similar performance in the near term.

And he doesn't need neck surgery.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm really confused by the people who were in favor of signing Nick but are somehow against acquiring Aoki for 80% of the cost (and a shorter commitment).

Aoki has "less power" than Nick ? Nick Markakis has essentially 0 power. Steamer projects Markakis to have a .391 SLG compared to Aoki .371 - this is a rounding error.

They have essentially identical wRC predicted for next year (105 vs 104). Aoki has the higher projected OBP.

He's being called a poor defender, but nearly every defensive statistic suggests they're awfully similar.

Yes he isn't an 'upgrade' over Nick - but I don't understand why that's suddenly the requirement. Nick isn't an upgrade over Nick either.

Aoki is an adequate replacement that costs less money and will provide similar performance in the near term.

I'd rather sign Ichiro!

Not everyone against signing Aoki wanted to sign Nick.

Duquette uses almost those very words to describe De Aza.

I'd rather just go with De Aza if he or Aoki are the options.

With De Aza and Pearce, we would still need either an OF or a DH. Since I am not sold on Pearce's OF defense and because of the likelihood that he will need to play some 1B, I think we would do well to have another OF. Also, I don't see many legit DH bats to replace Cruz, so I think we would do better to have Pearce DH and target an OF to replace Nick. From what I have seen, Aoki wouldn't kill us defensively and would bring similar assets to Nick offensively--lefty bat with the ability to hit lefties, good OBP, plus a speed dimension that Nick lacks. I think we would have room for both Aoki and De Aza.

Duquette uses almost those very words to describe De Aza.

I don't disagree with that either - I thought De Aza was superfluous if we were going to resign Nick, but if the idea is that he's a $6M replacement for a $12M player then it has a certain logic to it. Again he's very similar offensively to Nick (104 wRC+ projected) and doesn't hurt you defensively.

Aoki is also interesting because he fares against lefties very well (.371 career obp).

Aoki has had a good OBP to this point in his MLB career, but his power was never much to begin with and slipped noticeably in 2014 (only 1 HR and a .360 SLG). At age 32, you have to wonder if his bat is slowing down to the point where he will be overwhelmed going forward.

Why would you wonder that? He has shown no sign of regression yet (unlike Nick).

Norichika Aoki - OF - Royals

The Orioles, Reds and Mariners are "among possibilities" for Norichika Aoki, per Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.

Aoki was previously reported to be talking with the O's, but the other two teams are new potential destinations for the 32-year-old. Heyman speculates Aoki will likely get a two- or three-year deal worth $7-8 million annually. Alex Rios landing in Kansas City means Aoki will almost surely be with a new team -- somewhere -- in 2015.

Related: Orioles, Reds, Mariners

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Archived