Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

If I were guessing it would have to do with determine how long he feels a guy should be signed for among other things. If he felt constrained that would be one area that I guess might be on his list. He may also be tired of slapping hustling his butt off to find bandaids when he knows that the team as the resources to do better.

Lets face it, if you were DD what would you rather do, work for an ownership group that will let you go out and get those couple of nice toys you want despite the fact they are expensive or work for an owner whom you have to shake voraciously for whatever change falls out his pockets?

I actually believe the bigger impediment is having to continuously sell Pete on every expenditure of any significance and Pete's unrealistic expectation that each and every one of those expenditures pay off.

Seriously folks, do you not remember LAST TRADE DEADLINE?

You know the one where the contending Blue Jays were not allowed to add salary?

You think it was Beeston making that call or the corporation types above him?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still no.

He will still have purse strings, purse strings that if recent history is any indication, very greatly from season to season.

He will still have to answer to the BOD of the parent corporation.

The Blue Jays were not permitted to add at the deadline. At all. They were told no money.

Let's not jump to conclusions. It's a rumor that he's in the running with other candidates.

What concerns me is that if he is in the running, then he has pretty much let it be known he would be willing to walk. I doubt the Blue Jays have mentioned him without asking his agent if DD would be interested.

The timing of this after the failed Cruz and Markakis negotiations is what bothers me the most, hopefully its all bs but it does concern me

Actually, yes it would. Promotion or not a contract is a contract. See Epstein, Theo.

Dan Duquette is signed through 2018 so something would have to be worked out but my guess is they wouldn't be talking if not possible.

Here's how the Blue Jays front office is set up:

EXECUTIVE OFFICE

Vice Chairman, Rogers Communications Inc. - Phil Lind

President, Rogers Media - Keith Pelley

President and CEO, Toronto Blue Jays & Rogers Centre - Paul Beeston

Senior Vice President, Baseball Operations and General Manager - Alex AnthopoulosSenior

Vice President, Business Operations - Stephen R. Brooks

Consultant - Howard Starkman

Special Assistant to the Organization - Roberto Alomar

Special Assistant to the Organization - Pat Hentgen

The position in question is Beeston's. As you can see, there would still be people above DD, and his job would be much bigger.

Is he even interested? We'll see. If he leaves, that would suck.

The Blue Jays were not permitted to add at the deadline. At all. They were told no money.

New CEO. I think he would still have a budget but I am guessing it will be a higher one than the Orioles and with far less strings attached as to how he uses it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>It's considered industry courtesy to let employees seek promotion elsewhere, but that practice isn't uniform&doesn't supersede contract law.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">December 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now would you want a pissed off Dan running the team the next 3 years if Peter blocks him?

The timing of this is absolute BS. Right before the winter meetings.

Either:

A) This goes down real quick and all of a sudden someone else has to take the reins at the winter meetings

or

B) This takes some time to happen (week, whatever) and Duquette is effectively neutered at the winter meetings. Can he be trusted to make decisions in the best interest of the Orioles if he might be working somewhere else next week? Can he meet with other GMs and lay the groundwork for future possible trades, etc? I don't think so.

or

C) It doesn't happen and another candidate eventually gets the job. But in the meanwhile you have the winter meetings where the Orioles' leadership is in a situation of flux and uncertainty and it is unlikely and strong moves are made, and it is unlikely that the groundwork can be laid for future moves.

Utter bull****.

New CEO. I think he would still have a budget but I am guessing it will be a higher one than the Orioles and with far less strings attached as to how he uses it.

Which can change with a poor quarterly report. Or another internal upheaval. Happens all the time with corporations.

What concerns me is that if he is in the running, then he has pretty much let it be known he would be willing to walk. I doubt the Blue Jays have mentioned him without asking his agent if DD would be interested.

The timing of this after the failed Cruz and Markakis negotiations is what bothers me the most, hopefully its all bs but it does concern me

I thought the negotiations were very successful.

I think you're way ahead of the situation. Apparently, the Blue Jays have been narrowing their options before requesting permission from teams to talk to their people. And Dan is not the only one on the list.

The timing of this is absolute BS. Right before the winter meetings.

Either:

A) This goes down real quick and all of a sudden someone else has to take the reins at the winter meetings

or

B) This takes some time to happen (week, whatever) and Duquette is effectively neutered at the winter meetings. Can he be trusted to make decisions in the best interest of the Orioles if he might be working somewhere else next week? Can he meet with other GMs and lay the groundwork for future possible trades, etc? I don't think so.

or

C) It doesn't happen and another candidate eventually gets the job. But in the meanwhile you have the winter meetings where the Orioles' leadership is in a situation of flux and uncertainty and it is unlikely and strong moves are made, and it is unlikely that the groundwork can be laid for future moves.

Utter bull****.

No matter what, he can be trusted to do right by you and I right now. This is a given.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>It's considered industry courtesy to let employees seek promotion elsewhere, but that practice isn't uniform&doesn't supersede contract law.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="
">December 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now would you want a pissed off Dan running the team the next 3 years if Peter blocks him?

I would think that he would understand that the timing is absurdly inappropriate and it would cripple the franchise to lose their GM in the middle of the winter meetings.

Archived