Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

Dan did not want to sign any of those players. All he had to do was non tender Davis to sign two of the three.

Your math is funny. How do you turn 11.5m into 24.5m?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No matter what, he can be trusted to do right by you and I right now. This is a given.

I'm not as much saying he would do somehting unethical. More like why would a GM from another team start to enter into what could be long term trade discussions with someone who might not be there? Or maybe he will go to work every day and work hard and go home, but in a situation where he might have really pushed for something even if it meant working hard to convince Angelos, maybe he just lets it go.

I know if I became a "short-timer" at my job, and knew I was going to take another job, I would still go to work every day and give it my best effort. I write software. But my biggest concerns would be meeting deadlines, getting everything set up for the next person who is going to take over, smooth transition, etc. Let's say I have been thinking about a grand plan to do a major re-design of one component of our system, use newer technology, etc, that I think might benefit my project in the long term. As a short timer, am I going to try to get that going, hold meetings, convince my bosses? Nope. I'll go to work, put in a good day's work, do everything possible to insure a smooth transition to whoever is going to replace me. But as a lame duck short-timer, I'm not going to be innovative, start something new and significant and big, etc. I'm just going to do the best I can to leave what is there in good shape. It's a completely different mindset that I would bring work.

There's a difference. If he is seriously considering leaving, then I think having him in charge is not in the long term best interestes of the Orioles. And I am not implying he would do anything unethical.

When I attended the first O's media social event 2 years ago I asked DD why didn't the O's resign Koji, he said he tried twice including after the Red Sox offer but both times "higher authorities" or something along those lines wouldn't approve the money. Koji wanted to come back to Baltimore. Maybe he does need more control I'm just thinking out loud.

I give Dan more credit then that.

I don't. He/they offered Markakis 4 yrs and it was pulled back after the medicals. So obviously the idea of signing Nick to a 4 year deal was not one he was incontrovertibly opposed to.

If all is well on Eutaw street then we will know soon enough. DD won't walk from the Orioles unless he feels he is being constrained (be it financially or otherwise)in a way the Jays wont constrain him. Also if things are well then PA will understand DD's value to the team and pony up some dough and a shiny new desk title to keep him.

When I attended the first O's media social event 2 years ago I asked DD why didn't the O's resign Koji' date=' he said he tried twice including after the Red Sox offer but both times "higher authorities" or something along those lines wouldn't approve the money. Koji wanted to come back to Baltimore. Maybe he does need more control I'm just thinking out loud.[/quote']

Hard to believe that DD would "blame" "higher authorities". That is definitely not how he speaks to the media and we haven't heard any reports like this from these sessions before. Are you sure you're not remembering his statements through dung-colored glasses? This sounds extremely, extremely out of character.

Archived