Post latest rumors on the Roberts trade here...

TerpmanJay

He's taking my steroid statements out of context. I never said that as an insult to Roberts. We were dicussing his value and I was saying how it is only fair to point out that his value dimished, at least slightly, when he admitted to sterooids. Is that not a fair statement to make?

Ask 30 GMs in major league baseball if Roberts value is decreased because he took steroids in 2003 and the answer is no. Jose Guillen got a huge contract and the GM new he was going to be suspended.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure where the anger comes from. Why come to a Orioles web-site to be combative? I dont think this back & forth really matters in the big picture.

Truth is I like Murton! I really do think he'd be a nice addition. Really its up to Mcphail & Hendry to decide value & get this done. What I dont get is the constant bickering. Perhaps you guys should be emailing your thoughts to the appropriate GM.

Right or Wrong the constant bickering in the Roberts threads is valuable to no one!

That post was hostile, I admit, but it was only coming as a response of him trashing the division.

Ask 30 GMs in major league baseball if Roberts value is decreased because he took steroids in 2003 and the answer is no. Jose Guillen got a huge contract and the GM new he was going to be suspended.

He signed in Kansas City. Chicago is a huge market with tons of publicity. Privately, Hendry probably doesn't care, but this isn't a private issue.

He's taking my steroid statements out of context. I never said that as an insult to Roberts. We were dicussing his value and I was saying how it is only fair to point out that his value dimished, at least slightly, when he admitted to sterooids. Is that not a fair statement to make?

I'm not really sure the admission of a single injection of steroids years ago decreases Roberts value.

Maybe he does in the eyes of a fan who's team wishes to get him. It didn't seem to matter to Tejada's trade value & everyone knew he would be on the report.

This is a bald faced lie. You didn't couch your original steroid statement with "minor or slightly diminished value" (which I don't even agree with but isn't nasty). You simply argued he wasn't worth much and your entire reasoning was his lifetime OPS and "admitted steroid user". You made no attempt at all to provide an actual objective pros and cons analysis. I can find the post if you want or you can just admit you're lying.

Where did I ever say he wasn't worth much? Please, show me where I said that. You guys were all talking about how the Cubs offer was "crap", and were citing things about Roberts that made his value so much higher than what the Cubs were offering. I wasn't saying those things to say he's not good or valuable, I was saying them to bring his value down to a realistic level. You can tell by my posts that I obviously would like Roberts (at a fair price), so why would I be trashing him? I'm not. I'm being realistic and taking into account value factors that conveniently aren't being mentioned by anyone on this board.

Wow, do you really believe this crap you're writing? You are just openly lieing now. You wrote "mediocre" rebuild. There is simply no other reason for the word mediocre as an adjective here except to demean what is being done.

Did you even read the post I was replying to? I was responding to somebody who linked a different post. As I said, the "medicore rebuild" was an insult, but only after you insulted me. Don't insult someone and expect not to be insulted back.

I didn't trash the division. I wrote that your division was one of the weaker divisions. Do you disagree with that statement? I can't be trashing something if what I wrote is true.

Wait, didn't you just say I was trashing Roberts for calling him an admitted steroid user? If what I said was true, I can't be trashing something. Right?

Wow, you are just lying repeatedly. I can link to more than five posts in the last two days where I wrote that I was on the fence re: the Cubs reported offer. I have never ever used the words you've used here.

Mods, this guy needs to be tossed.

I never said you specifically. Somebody referred to the Cubs players as, and I quote, "crapola".

Why do you want me to get tossed? I was discussing baseball and you start getting personal and hostile because I didn't say favorable things about players.

I didn't mean that as an insult at all. Rebuilds take time. I don't think it's unreasonable to think it will take a few years to be competetive, especially in that division. I was replying to post where somebody was saying how Scott was a better option than Murton strictly because he's produce more in the next 4 years. My point was to ask why the next few years of production matter that much.

Again, regardless of your intent, it was poor phrasing to say the least. His comment of Scott helping us for the next four years did not call for your comment that we can't hope to compete in four years. His comment was not an attack on you or the Cubs. Read your post again. That comment was definitely raw, Skiba. I think you can see why it would rub us the wrong way.

I enjoy our discussions for the most part. I have no problem with disagreement. I can't speak for others, but I enjoy having you here for the most part. It would be nice if you would just take a second to think of how what you are saying will be received before sending it.

How did I insult you? You can't point to it. I merely wrote something about your division being weak. Again, your division has been weak and looks to still be weak this year. Do you disagree?

DOn't even try to tell me you didn't mean this as an insult.

Good luck to you. I think you'll need it once you leave that weak division

I haven't written a single one of the things you referenced here other than the Murton one which is true. Not a single one.

I didn't say you did. I was simply showing you I wasn't some biased lunatic that things every Cubs player is god, as some people in this thread have implied.

Actually, no, I have never used the word "trashed someone" in my life. I wrote that you "analyzed" his value in a post by citing only two things - his lifetime OPS and his steroid use. You did that. I'm going to find the post.

Here are your exact words.

throwing out steroid user re: Roberts, etc.... Some might say this is trolling
w/o throwing out BS stuff like "steroid user".

No, you didn't use the word "trashing" but it's safe to say that you implied I was criticizing Roberts just to criticize him, which is absolutely untrue. And as I already said, I was by no means stating that those 2 facts were the only things needed to determine Roberts value, not even close. I was saying them to bring a realistic look at his value. You guys are talking up his value, so why can't I try and bring it back to reasonable levels? Seems unfair.

I am terribly excited for B-Rob to get trade somewhere soon. I'm sick of all these cub fans coming to the hangout and ranting on and on about how great all their prospects are and how not good B-Rob is. Enough already, don't they have a cubs message board?

Ugh. I could very much make the argument that you guys are doing the same thing.

Here are your exact words.

No, you didn't use the word "trashing" but it's safe to say that you implied I was criticizing Roberts just to criticize him, which is absolutely untrue. And as I already said, I was by no means stating that those 2 facts were the only things needed to determine Roberts value, not even close. I was saying them to bring a realistic look at his value. You guys are talking up his value, so why can't I try and bring it back to reasonable levels? Seems unfair.

Talking bad about Brian Roberts should never be allowed IMO!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Archived