Post latest rumors on the Roberts trade here...

TerpmanJay

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You clearly wrote in both of those posts that "all of us" were doing X. Did you or did you not? Then, you wrote later that you didn't say the "majority" or that we were "insulting the offer". Yet, clearly you did write these things. I didn't make this up.

You did say these things. I linked to the freaking original posts. What are you babbling about? You simply keep changing your story despite being repeatedly caught. Now, you are denying directly copied quotes. LOL

Honestly. It's not my fault you can't comprehend the meanings of words. I said that most of this board has talked down the Cubs offers. That is true.

See, that's the problem. Are you talking about fair for the Cubs, or fair for the Orioles? After you got mostly pitching in the Bedard return, I don't thing there's a trade out there that is fair for both teams. The Orioles need position players, mostly middle infielders, and the Cubs don't have very good quality players to offer in that department. To satisfy the Orioles, Hendry would have to give up a package that wouldn't be apporpriate on his side.

I am talking about what you feel is fair & that you think based on your argument you could talk AM into pulling the trigger.

I am not & have not bashed you in this thread. I am just trying to restore some objectivity. I want to hear your side.

The idea that the Cubs are low on Murton is totally bogus. The Cubs didn't spend on Fukudome because they're low on Murton. They spent to solidify the outfield with a rightfield anchor. Murton is misplaced in rightfield and that's what "everyone knows," if anything. Fukudome puts top-notch defense in right and balances the lineup with a lefty bat. For better or worse, that's the Cubs thoughts. They are high on Murton but unfortunately his end was spelled not with Kosuke, but with Soriano's inability (again: at least in their mind) to pick up center or right. The Cubs love Murton's bat but need that roster spot to play right and some center, and realize Murton is good enough to play every day if left were open. Heck, as crazy as it sounds, they'd probably put up with his defense in right if he were left-handed. Sorry, this doesn't make him less valuable to the Orioles.

I am talking about what you feel is fair & that you think based on your argument you could talk AM into pulling the trigger.

I am not & have not bashed you in this thread. I am just trying to restore some objectivity. I want to hear your side.

I know you weren't bashing me, and I appreciate that. I think that the originally rumored offer of Gallagher/Murton/Cedeno was fair on the Cubs side. That doesn't mean I think it's a great trade for the Orioles, that's just what I think is fair for our side. I don't like the idea of overpaying just because the 2 sides don't match up in terms of needs. I feel that in order to get AM to pull the trigger, Jim will have to overpay.

I have been saying this for a while...His value will only continue to get worse unless Soriano goes down with an injury.

I also agree that Cedeno and EPat don't have a ton of value.

However, either of them can start for us and should be able to be close to or league average guys right away for no money.

Murton's bat is needed here...Getting him makes it even easier to deal Scott or Millar or whoever.

Gallagher means we can make a deal with pitching.

The bottom line is, can AM make this 4 for 1 deal and then have another deal waiting in the wings to flip some guys to get a good MIer???

Also, why are we only discussing BRob to the Cubs? The Indians and Rockies should or do have interest.

I've been trying to talk about a Rockies deal but it's hard to get a word in between the sniping.:rolleyes:

I think the reason that these Roberts-to-the-Cubs threads tend to be a bit more contentious than others is the fact that neither team absolutely needs to make the trade.

Starting the season with Roberts at 2B is certainly not an unthinkable option for the Orioles and there are other teams that could conceivably have an interest in trading for Roberts, either now or later. The Cubs offers that have been rumored have certainly not been "no-brainers" that knock your socks off. That isn't to say that they have not been good offers, they just haven't been the type of offers that would make the Orioles drop everything and say "lets do this."

Not getting Roberts is not the end of the world for the Cubs, either. They made the playoffs without him last year, after all. In DeRosa, they have a decent 2B now who is very popular with the fans. The Cubs are reluctant to part with any pieces that they view as important to them when they don't have an emergency need for Roberts.

This makes for long-winded debates among fans. I think we all just need to recognize that there is not the best of fits here and try not to take things so personally.

Lets all just take a deep breath and bury the hatchet. No matter how worked up we get, we aren't going to decide what happens.

I know you weren't bashing me, and I appreciate that. I think that the originally rumored offer of Gallagher/Murton/Cedeno was fair on the Cubs side. That doesn't mean I think it's a great trade for the Orioles, that's just what I think is fair for our side. I don't like the idea of overpaying just because the 2 sides don't match up in terms of needs. I feel that in order to get AM to pull the trigger, Jim will have to overpay.

I agree that Gallagher,Murton,Cedeno is pretty close... I'd be surprised if the offer didn't include 1 or 2 A/AA prospects as well. Knowing Andy 1 of those would most likely be Veal.

LOL, and now you've changed your tune again. Just a few minutes ago you wrote "majority of the board". I never wrote that. Now, you've written it again.

You wrote that "you all called it crap". A page later you wrote "none of you insulted the offer". Any minute now, I expect you to flip back again.

Are there two different people using your account right now and neither can see the other's posts? Or are you bi-polar? multiple personality? I seriously want to know.

Can somebody else weigh in here? I've never seen anybody deny his own words so emphatically so soon after writing them. Am I wrong or has he contradicted himself all over the place in this thread?

What is wrong with you? Why do you nitpick every single tiny word made by me in order to make me look bad? I've already explained the use of the word "crap", so I'm not going to do it again.

Just a few minutes ago you wrote "majority of the board". I never wrote that.

Are you joking? You were the one that originally made this quote, not me. I used it in reference to your quote, I'll gladly find it for you. Yeah, and I'm the liar.

Yes we do and AM will keep him if needs be.

But MacPhail wants Roberts gone, i have no doubt about it.

He needs to call up the Rockies...They really do make the most sense....The style that they play suits BRob perfectly.

Now, maybe they like Nix enough not to give up the talent to get Roberts???

And what about Peralta? If Peralta and another good young player is on the table, that's also a trade you need to make.

His defense is improved and he hits better than the average SS...He is young and has a good contract the next 3-4 years.

I would love to see some numbers to demonstrate that. Especially Fielding Bible ratings. Doesn't somebody here buy that book?

Archived