Charlie Manuel - the Latest Candidate for Hitting Coach

TonySoprano

I asked Ken about it, I don't know how to make fancy Twitter images appear on the board but here is his response:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/544890772747993088

click on "..." then go to "embed this tweet"

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/BaltiMurph">@BaltiMurph</a> Probably won’t write about it, but it’s not right. Not for people who want to go to the Orioles or people who want to leave.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Phillies?src=hash">#Phillies</a> advisor Charlie Manuel says he's been offered jobs to be a hitting coach, but prefers to be a big-league manager. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLBHotStove?src=hash">#MLBHotStove</a></p>— Mel Antonen (@MelAntonen) <a href="

You can't always get what you want.

Of all the coaching positions, hitting coach requires the most time and generates the least appreciation relative to the effort put into it.

As a 61 year old, I can't imagine why a 71 year old would put himself through that grind. I could see him being the Director of Hitting (or some such title) who manages all the hitting coaches in the organization and travels only on special occasions, but the hitting coach job needs someone with tremendous energy, persistence, and a very thick skin. I'm sure Charlie has the latter two, but the energy?

Just speaking in generalities. There are some advantages to youth.

I wonder if they've moved on from Manto. I'm sure he has the energy and he had some success in Pittsburgh if I remember.

click on "..." then go to "embed this tweet"

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/BaltiMurph">@BaltiMurph</a> Probably won’t write about it, but it’s not right. Not for people who want to go to the Orioles or people who want to leave.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

That's fair. At least his reasoning is consistent. I suppose it's not as newsworthy.

Charlie Manuel to Chris Davis: "I can make you a better hitter. All we have to do is put a guy with binoculars in the outfield stands to read the catchers signs. Then we can signal the pitch to you so you can know what is coming and you won't get fooled by 90% of the pitches."

That's fair. At least his reasoning is consistent. I suppose it's not as newsworthy.

I would argue that it was equally newsworthy that the White Sox didn't grant permission to interview Ken Williams and yet he was silent on that. And it also isn't as newsworthy because it happens with regularity, it is not the rare instance of the Orioles being unreasonable that he implied.

I'm sure Manuel is good. However, do we really want a 71 year old and has to be pushed into taking the job? He sounds like a man who would take the job for one year at most.

Exactly, Roch has said it may be the most demanding job on the staff and they're interested in a man of that age? it's very surprising.

There have been times here at my job where I would have fired all the old guys and replaced them with engineers fresh out of college who aren't jaded and bitter. What you lose in experience you gain in a bunch of other ways. Instead of telling me the 25 ways the gubment will keep you from doing your job the young 'uns just go do it.

We were all younger once, and someone had to take a chance on us.

Charlie Manuel to Chris Davis: "I can make you a better hitter. All we have to do is put a guy with binoculars in the outfield stands to read the catchers signs. Then we can signal the pitch to you so you can know what is coming and you won't get fooled by 90% of the pitches."

Ah, so the Toronto Special then, eh?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Charlie Manuel has declined the Orioles offer to be their new hitting coach. The Orioles are scaling down list. Hope to have a hire by Jan 1</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">December 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Seems like Orioles have narrowed their focus to two hitting coach candidates -- both external.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">December 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

Archived