Steve Pearce the key as the Orioles zag their way to the playoffs

xian4

I read in another thread that Fangraphs people are nothing but useless geeks who are no more intelligent than dart-throwing monkeys!

But now that they've used some stats to write something generally positive about the Orioles, maybe they are actually pretty cool guys.

I expect Pearce to be a solid regular in 2014. I'm comfortable with him starting on most days.

Our Steamer projections think quite highly of Pearce’s three true outcome style, forecasting a .270/.349/.464 followup season, good for a 129 wRC+. His age and his patience make him a good candidate to retain some of the over-the-fence magic powering his 2014 breakout.

I'll take that slash line from Pearce any time.

I still think the key as things stand is Chris Davis. He needs to bounce back and he can't use his lack-of-adderall as an excuse.

Very good article. However:

As an out-of-options quad-A hitter coming out of nowhere, some comparisons to Jose Bautista are inevitable. Like Bautista, Pearce is a pull-crazy and fastball-hungry former Pirate who found success after 30.

I'd say Bautista's 54-homer campaign at age 29 was pretty successful.

I don't think you can depend on a guy who has never had more than 330 at bats in a season and who will be 32 next year and has been replacement level up until last year. He might be successful but more likely he will go back to being a borderline major leaguer.

Very good article. However:

I'd say Bautista's 54-homer campaign at age 29 was pretty successful.

Yeah and he had close to 3.0 war in his 28 year. I don't think the two are comparable and Pearce looked overmatched in the playoffs. I don't mind giving Pearce a chance but you better have a plan B.

I'm not a fan of putting all my eggs in the Steve Pearce basket. I love the guy, but I would prefer him playing 4 or 5 games a week, not all 7.

Are you kidding me? The guy led the team in OBP and SLG. Yes, higher OBP than Nick, higher SLG than Nelson Cruz, but he costs practically nothing. He has earned the right to be an every day player until he stops hitting. As long as he is healthy I want him in the lineup every day--not a platoon player.

That said, because of small sample and health issues, I want a good depth option behind him.

Archived