Smith for Matusz...?

EagleOriole

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mlbtr is saying the padres are asking for Bundy or gausman. Theyre not giving up smith for spare parts. Smith is not worth what it is going to take to get him.

Why not?

Yes. Yes, they are. Smith, himself, is a spare part. SD has taken on a lot of salary, and Smith is owed $13 million for 2 years for which he will be splitting back-up outfield and pinch hitting duties with Venable, Maybin, and Quentin. It will not take much to get him.

We trade (a) Wei Yin Chen AND (b) either (i) David Lough or (ii) a mid-level prospect for Seth Smith and Carlos Quentin.

We get the two OF bats -- both R and L -- we are looking for.

Padres deal from their surplus.

They get a reliable starter who throws fly balls and should thrive for a year in Petco.

They choose between Lough who becomes a key bench outfielder or a prospect.

Chen has one year of control -- Quentin has one year of control.

We deal from our surplus (starting pitching) and sell high on Chen whose contract is perfect for SD, too.

Everybody wins.

We trade (a) Wei Yin Chen AND (b) either (i) David Lough or (ii) a mid-level prospect for Seth Smith and Carlos Quentin.

We get the two OF bats -- both R and L -- we are looking for.

Padres deal from their surplus.

They get a reliable starter who throws fly balls and should thrive for a year in Petco.

They choose between Lough who becomes a key bench outfielder or a prospect.

Chen has one year of control -- Quentin has one year of control.

We deal from our surplus (starting pitching) and sell high on Chen whose contract is perfect for SD, too.

Everybody wins.

This would not be selling high on Chen... quite the opposite, in fact.

Why not?

Yes. Yes, they are. Smith, himself, is a spare part. SD has taken on a lot of salary, and Smith is owed $13 million for 2 years for which he will be splitting back-up outfield and pinch hitting duties with Venable, Maybin, and Quentin. It will not take much to get him.

They're selling high on Smith. True that they might get spare parts. But those spare parts are going valuable prospects. With having Pearce, lough and young already on board to fill rf and dh. I just don't see smith has being that much of an upgrade to justify giving up 12 years of control coming from 2 of wright, berry, Wilson, bridwell. Plus I'd rather have the 1 year of production from Norris/Chen plus the comp pick. Now for a guy like dexter fowler I would. Because he will get a QO. It's all about the long term value.

They're selling high on Smith. True that they might get spare parts. But those spare parts are going valuable prospects. With having Pearce, lough and young already on board to fill rf and dh. I just don't see smith has being that much of an upgrade to justify giving up 12 years of control coming from 2 of wright, berry, Wilson, bridwell. Plus I'd rather have the 1 year of production from Norris/Chen plus the comp pick. Now for a guy like dexter fowler I would. Because he will get a QO. It's all about the long term value.

I'm not sure that I understand why you quoted me on this. I certainly am not one of those calling for us to give up a lot for Smith. To me either Matusz or a 15-20 ranked prospect is the absolute tops we should offer.

Why not?

He's a good player who can still be used since they need a solid left handed batter on their roster.

He's a good player who can still be used since they need a solid left handed batter on their roster.

Well, certainly if they can't trade him they aren't going to cut him, since they owe him $13 million over the next two seasons. They will use him. as I said, as a backup OF and a pinch hitter. They would much, much rather trade him than pay that kind of money to be a bench guy, IMO.

Well, certainly if they can't trade him they aren't going to cut him, since they owe him $13 million over the next two seasons. They will use him. as I said, as a backup OF and a pinch hitter. They would much, much rather trade him than pay that kind of money to be a bench guy, IMO.

I disagree that he projects to have little excess value. I would give up any one guy that isn't Bundy, Harvey, Sisco and maybe Davies or two guys in the 10-20 range.

I disagree that he projects to have little excess value. I would give up any one guy that isn't Bundy, Harvey, Sisco and maybe Davies or two guys in the 10-20 range.

Based on what? One career season at age 32? Yes, we do disagree. I'll go with San Diego's take on this.

Not sure what you see past the names I mentioned that you would be upset at losing.

It seems pretty clear that San Diego wants clear of their $13 million obligation to Smith. He would be a bench guy there, obviously, and they need to be creative financially in view of the trades they have made. His career has shown him to be a 1 WAR player, and he is being paid as such. Matusz would actually be a fair trade, considering the finances, but I'm not sure San Diego would have a need for Brian. Otherwise, a 15-20 ranked prospect as Adams suggested looks about right to me. Paying more for Smith in this situation would be an overpay, IMO. Are you seeing anything that indicates any other team is looking to give them more than that for Smith?

It seems pretty clear that San Diego wants clear of their $13 million obligation to Smith. He would be a bench guy there, obviously, and they need to be creative financially in view of the trades they have made. His career has shown him to be a 1 WAR player, and he is being paid as such. Matusz would actually be a fair trade, considering the finances, but I'm not sure San Diego would have a need for Brian. Otherwise, a 15-20 ranked prospect as Adams suggested looks about right to me. Paying more for Smith in this situation would be an overpay, IMO. Are you seeing anything that indicates any other team is looking to give them more than that for Smith?

Smith was almost a 4 WAR player last year and I'd wager he's a safer bet than Kemp to put up more than 1 war especially considering health. With the extension he signed you can't say they have been the beneficiary of excess value from Smith.

However, saying it's clear they want to be rid of him because their $13 mil obligation seems to be overstating the matter. SD has a heavily weighted RH hitting lineup and Smith's presence mitigates that and the possibility of Kemp's ominous demise.

Archived