Orioles have inquired about DBacks outfield depth

Greg

I agree with point that the Dbacks may not be interested in trading a cost controlled player for a one year rental. They're not going to compete in that division this year. They may have interest in a younger pitcher. One of Wilson, Drake, McFarland maybe.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norris is coming off a career year and he is making $9M with only one year left on his contract. I would not be surprised if Gonzo outperforms him this year if he is not stuck in the pen. I would love to trade him for an MLB-ready position player under team control.

But would Bud make sense for AZ, a last place team? Sure, they need pitching but they would be more interested in Miguel, Bundy, or maybe Britton, someone they can build around. If I am AZ, I am trying to move Trumbo, not Peralta or Enciarte. Of the two, Peralta at Age 27 may make a bit more sense from an AZ perspective if he is not in their immediate plans.

Maybe negative value.

I love how some here have a trading approach like they're making a Po' Boy sandwich... throw together whatever scraps you have lying around and it equals a delicious complete meal. I'm not being critical. I actually like it because it makes me laugh almost every time.

I like the Matusz-food analogy. Maybe because I'm hungry (not unusual). I'd liken Matusz to celery. No one would pay 10 bucks for celery. There would need to be chicken wings (and some ranch sauce) with the celery.

I like the Matusz-food analogy. Maybe because I'm hungry (not unusual). I'd liken Matusz to celery. No one would pay 10 bucks for celery. There would need to be chicken wings (and some ranch sauce) with the celery.

I prefer to think of Matusz as Tofu. Not extraordinarily tasty, but some versatility and usefulness.

I'm definitely intrigued by this news - got to say I'm not terribly excited about the prospect of Colby Rasmus. Knowing not terribly much about either Diamondback OF, I must say I'm a bit more intrigued by Peralta than Inciarte. To be honest, Inciarte sounds like a bit of a Lough clone - good defense, some speed, not a lot of power. Perhaps not fair to Inciarte, as he may be a bit better than Lough, but a player in the same mold, I'd say.

I'm intrigued by Peralta - looks like an interesting story, just looking at his numbers. Seemed to miss several seasons, and someone earlier in the thread alluded to a serious injury when he was a pitching prospect. Nonetheless, he has posted massive MIL numbers (.347/.392/.547/.939) across some lower level minor leagues, and had a strong big league debut last year. Still, looks like the kid can rake.

If we can score one of these guys for not too unreasonable a price, sign me up. Plus, have several years of team control on these guys.

Ender Inciarte 2014:

Reno - 120 PA, .312/.367/.440 (.807 OPS)

Arizona - 447 PA, .278/.318/.359 (.677 OPS)

He's just 23 years old. Is it reasonable to assume he can improve on his rookie numbers? Reno is a PCL team, that league averaged a .771 OPS (wow) so that's above average production without going into park effects. I think Inciarte could be a .290/.330/.380 type hitter, not great but not a hole in the lineup.

Looking at Peralta, he slugged .450 last year as a 26 year old rookie. That's not as easy to find in today's game as you might think. Arizona had three batters with 100 or more PA slug .450 last year... Paul Goldschmidt, AJ Pollock, and David Peralta.

How many players on the HR champ Orioles made it to .450 last year with at least 100 PA? Four: Nelson Cruz, Adam Jones, Steve Pearce and Matt Wieters.

Peralta has a career minor league OPS of 939. He fits the mold more for what the Orioles need -- a dangerous bat. He could be the left handed DH.

Looking at Peralta, he slugged .450 last year as a 26 year old rookie. That's not as easy to find in today's game as you might think. Arizona had three batters with 100 or more PA slug .450 last year... Paul Goldschmidt, AJ Pollock, and David Peralta.

How many players on the HR champ Orioles made it to .450 last year with at least 100 PA? Four: Nelson Cruz, Adam Jones, Steve Pearce and Matt Wieters.

Peralta has a career minor league OPS of 939. He fits the mold more for what the Orioles need -- a dangerous bat. He could be the left handed DH.

I think so as well.

Arizona has just one catcher on its MLB roster. If we want one of their guys they will likely want a starting catcher....Caleb Joseph?

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. It would probably take Caleb Joseph plus a mid level pitching prospect to get Peralta. It still might be a deal to consider.

I'd trade Gonzalez. He seems to be playing over his head and a good time to cash in would be after a decent season when he starts getting less expensive.

Less expensive?

Also, he has three every good seasons and has three seasons of control. No reason to give him away c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Orioles would have to sell Joseph to Arizona -- he hasn't really proven he can hit yet. But at this point, it doesn't make sense to throw a bunch of names out until we hear that a deal is actually in the works. Press that states the Orioles are "inquiring" about somebody means very little, as we should know by now.

Archived