Pitching exodus from the American League

fearthenoodle

With James Shields headed to SD, all of the starting pitchers from Keith Law's top-50 free agents have signed for next year.

Moving from AL to NL:

Max Scherzer, Jon Lester, James Shields, Brandon McCarthy, Jason Hammel, Brandon Morrow

Moving from AL to Japan:

Hiroki Kuroda

Staying in Japan:

Kenta Maeda

Staying in the NL:

Francisco Liriano, Jake Peavy, Brett Anderson, AJ Burnett, Kyle Kendrick

----

Moving from NL to AL:

Ervin Santana, Edinson Volquez, Justin Masterson

For completeness, you also had Andrew Heaney, Ross Detwiler, Alfredo Simon, Wade Miley, Marco Estrada and Nathan Eovaldi join the AL via trade.

Jeremy Hellickson, Rubby De La Rosa and Allen Webster went to the NL via trade.

And among minor free agents, Gavin Floyd moved back to the AL.

With James Shields headed to SD, all of the starting pitchers from Keith Law's top-50 free agents have signed for next year.

Moving from AL to NL:

Max Scherzer, Jon Lester, James Shields, Brandon McCarthy, Jason Hammel, Brandon Morrow

Moving from AL to Japan:

Hiroki Kuroda

Staying in Japan:

Kenta Maeda

Staying in the NL:

Francisco Liriano, Jake Peavy, Brett Anderson, AJ Burnett, Kyle Kendrick

Jeremy Hellickson, Rubby De La Rosa and Allen Webster went to the NL via trade

Moving from NL to AL:

Ervin Santana, Edinson Volquez, Justin Masterson Andrew Heaney, Ross Detwiler, Alfredo Simon, Wade Miley, Marco Estrada and Nathan Eovaldi join the AL via trade or free-agency.

And among minor free agents, Gavin Floyd moved back to the AL.

So like that then (Plus members can edit and delete posts....) :P

Oopsie - forgot to thank you for your efforts! :clap3:

Maybe its 'all the better' in these pitchers moving, but WE are not better going into the 2015 season. No big bat to make up for the loss of Cruz. No obvious replacement for Markakis. No improvement in the bullpen.Losing

Cruz, Nick and Miller and not making any substantial improvement will likely prove to be our undoing. I wish this franchise was more proactive, but I guess I should just accept it by now.

I think (more hope) that Snider will be an adequate replacement for Nick. Regarding Miller, the team won a whole bunch of games before he was acquired - he was a nice weapon for the pen down the stretch, but he wasn't a necessity. Regarding Cruz - that's where I am concerned - losing his big bat and constant home run threat ability may put a damper on the offense.

but WE are not better going into the 2015 season.

I'm not so sure this is true, to be honest. I think we are clearly better (from a talent standpoint) than we were in the playoffs last year. Probably a lot closer when you compare it to the Opening Day roster last year, but I think at worst it is even.

Everyone points to the loss of Cruz, which IS a huge loss. You are not likely to replace those HRs individually. But this team hit 211 HRs last year. They also hit 212 HRs in 2013, and 214 HRs in 2012. I would take the over on 200 HRs in 2015, too. I think the HRs will be made up from other spots on the roster.

How about the bats? Is the AL holding the NL hostage when it comes to offense production?

Just looking at top-50 free agents:

Moving from NL to AL:

Hanley Ramirez, Pablo Sandoval, Russell Martin, Asdrubal Cabrera, Adam LaRoche, Emilio Bonifacio

Staying in the AL:

Chase Headley, Victor Martinez, Melky Cabrera, Colby Rasmus, Jed Lowrie, Nelson Cruz, Billy Butler, Stephen Drew, Chris Young, Geovany Soto, Kendrys Morales, Alex Rios

International FA to NL:

Yasmani Tomas, Jeong-ho Kang

Moving from AL to NL:

Nori Aoki, Nick Markakis, Nick Hundley

Staying in the NL:

Michael Cuddyer

Unsigned:

Rickie Weeks

Not going to sift through all the minor signings or trades!

I think this is more reason to bring the DH to the NL. AL teams are at a disadvantage in free agency with pitchers.

I agree and disagree. Think the DH should just be done away with. Shouldn't have to " just pitch" or "just hit". It's baseball, play it the way it should be played.

I agree and disagree. Think the DH should just be done away with. Shouldn't have to " just pitch" or "just hit". It's baseball, play it the way it should be played.

That was probably true back in 1973 when it was first introduced.

Been in the game so long, you are not going to get rid of it.

Best thing, put it over in the NL and make both leagues the same.

Maybe its 'all the better' in these pitchers moving, but WE are not better going into the 2015 season. No big bat to make up for the loss of Cruz. No obvious replacement for Markakis. No improvement in the bullpen.Losing

Cruz, Nick and Miller and not making any substantial improvement will likely prove to be our undoing. I wish this franchise was more proactive, but I guess I should just accept it by now.

Ahh, refreshing, an early prediction of doom. This team is very pro-active, just not in the dollar sense. Nick is replaceable, there will be another Miller type around at the trading deadline. Cruz is the tough one. Despite not being proactive in your opinion, the team's payroll will be up by 20% and may be in a position to look at 2016 without large monetary commitments to aging players.

Archived