Ethier for Jiminez Trade Article on Bleacher Report

unitastoheap

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

De Aza would most likely be going with Ubaldo in the theoretical deal. Don't need him this year with Ethier and would free up some more money.

But I prefer De Aza and Ubaldo over Ethier.

Yeah, I'm not feeling it. Not only are we adding payroll, we'd be forced to dump an outfielder to make room. We'd also be down to three starters for next season and would either have to rely on our minor leaguers for the fifth spot or get a guy in FA.

There's a lot of uncertainty for 2016 and beyond, but paying $15M+ for a 34 year old Ethier is not the solution, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I don't know how you can state without any support that Ethier would be an immediate upgrade over Travis Snider when Snider is coming off a 2.1 rWAR season going into his age 27 season while Ethier is coming off a replacement level season and will be 33 in April. Ethier might be better but it isn't a slam dunk. Ethier's contract is significantly worse than Jimenez's.

This post, especial the reference to the decision makers, seems to indicate that this would be a smart move, if only we would open up the coffers and have the highest Orioles payroll ever. Oh, right. We already did. And do.

De Aza would most likely be going with Ubaldo in the theoretical deal. Don't need him this year with Ethier and would free up some more money.

But I prefer De Aza and Ubaldo over Ethier.

I agree that we'd have to get rid of an OFer, but why would LAD want $5M+ fifth outfielder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I don't know how you can state without any support that Ethier would be an immediate upgrade over Travis Snider when Snider is coming off a 2.1 rWAR season going into his age 27 season while Ethier is coming off a replacement level season and will be 33 in April. Ethier might be better but it isn't a slam dunk. Ethier's contract is significantly worse than Jimenez's.

My opinion is that Snider was the cream of the crop of available left handed right fielders who are under team control for multiple seasons.

Archived