Ethier for Jiminez Trade Article on Bleacher Report

unitastoheap

I think 550+ PA counts as everyday player. That's 4 PA over 140 games. He's averaged 598 PA over the past 5 seasons prior to 2014. Never played less than 135 games over that span.

I don't like this deal, but thought this was worth noting.

He's sat out 20 or more games four of the past five seasons.

He's averaged 139 games over the past time period. You can find over 100 guys who played more than that last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<iframe src='http://m.orioles.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=31051171&topic_id=8879234&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

When my man is on, he's on...

[video=youtube;3G56b5NvD2Y]

By the way, am I the only one who thinks like he looks like a young, in-shape Anton Chigurh?

tumblr_mflvcdRgFK1qanbiyo1_500.gif

He's sat out 20 or more games four of the past five seasons.

He's averaged 139 games over the past time period. You can find over 100 guys who played more than that last season.

Well, that would be 3.3 players per team and doesn't seem to be that daunting of a number if we assume 390 position players in the majors (13 x 30).

Well, that would be 3.3 players per team and doesn't seem to be that daunting of a number if we assume 390 position players in the majors (13 x 30).

So 139 games a year is an everyday player (where he can produce at an outstanding level), but 130 is not enough to get into a flow, resulting in a sub .700 season.? At least that's what his supporter in the article would like for us to believe.

So 139 games a year is an everyday player (where he can produce at an outstanding level), but 130 is not enough to get into a flow, resulting in a sub .700 season.? At least that's what his supporter in the article would like for us to believe.

I don't attempt to speak for the reasoning of the author. My only point was that I think he qualifies as an "everyday player." It's not as though he's been an equal side of a platoon or anything. His sitting has been partially due to the emergence of Yasiel Puig (where he was initially penciled in to play every day with Crawford and Kemp).

I don't attempt to speak for the reasoning of the author. My only point was that I think he qualifies as an "everyday player." It's not as though he's been an equal side of a platoon or anything. His sitting has been partially due to the emergence of Yasiel Puig (where he was initially penciled in to play every day with Crawford and Kemp).

That's fine if you think 130 games is an everyday player. I don't have a problem with that, and it becomes a case of semantics regarding what qualifies as an "everyday player." However when his quoted supporter says everything will be dandy if he played "everyday" to excuse his performance over 130 games, then I think it's fair to point that averaging 139 games a year shouldn't be considered an "everyday player" either.

That's fine if you think 130 games is an everyday player. I don't have a problem with that, and it becomes a case of semantics regarding what qualifies as an "everyday player." However when his quoted supporter says everything will be dandy if he played "everyday" to excuse his performance over 130 games, then I think it's fair to point that averaging 139 games a year shouldn't be considered an "everyday player" either.

That's fair. I don't believe that he is suffering for not playing 150. I just don't think he'd be accurately described as a part-time player. But, you may be correct, we may be getting hung up on semantics and subjective definitions.

Yeah -- I was questioning the validity of that difference when reading the article, too. Seemed like the author was on shaky ground with his claim. And that's a bad foundation for an argument.

If the money were equal, and Ethier, Pearce, Lough, Snider, and De Aza were all competing for a spot, I'm not sure Ethier makes the team. The old Ethier, sure, but adding another question mark in addition to Wieters and Davis is not what the O's need to do.

Archived