Ryan Webb injured his left knee during a workout Sunday

TheOrangeBirds

Ryan Webb - R - Orioles

Ryan Webb injured his left knee during a workout Sunday.

Orioles manager Buck Showalter wouldn't offer many details, but he did say that Webb will be "down for a while." The 28-year-old right-hander was trying to earn a spot in middle relief this spring in O's camp.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/mlb/baseball-player-news/?rw=1

This is semi-bad news. It opens up a spot immediately but will make a tough decision when he is healthy. It is doubtful someone will trade for him before he shows he is healthy and effective at the major league level. It also doesn't help the Os unload any of his salary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is semi-bad news. It opens up a spot immediately but will make a tough decision when he is healthy. It is doubtful someone will trade for him before he shows he is healthy and effective at the major league level. It also doesn't help the Os unload any of his salary.

By the same token, though, doesn't that increase the chances of his clearing waivers so that he can be sent to Norfolk?

By the same token, though, doesn't that increase the chances of his clearing waivers so that he can be sent to Norfolk?

Yes. Hence the point after. It reduces the chances of the Os saving the money on his contract. But yes, he could clear waivers after his rehab assignment.

His contract really isn't that cost-prohibitive. *Maybe* it makes it less likely another team would claim him off waivers, but it's not really cost-prohibitive for most teams.

It definitely opens a window possibly for Garcia now.

Well something still has to happen with a second pitcher to allow space for Garcia.

Well something still has to happen with a second pitcher to allow space for Garcia.

That could be as simple as optioning one of the starters (Gonzo or Gausman) at the start of the year when they don't need 5 (or 6) starters. That buys them a little more time, though not a ton, obviously.

I can't see the O's putting an injured player on waivers. They will put him on the 15 day DL and when he is able he can go to Norfolk for a 30 day rehab. He proves he is healthy and the O's either activate him to their team or trade him.

He if the injury is bad enough for a DL stay.

I can't see the O's putting an injured player on waivers. They will put him on the 15 day DL and when he is able he can go to Norfolk for a 30 day rehab. He proves he is healthy and the O's either activate him to their team or trade him.

He if the injury is bad enough for a DL stay.

I didn't think anyone was thinking about exposing him to waivers while injured. That decision would not come until the end of his rehab, should this be a significant enough injury to warrant that.

Archived