2015 Toronto Blue Jays

OFFNY

It appears that tax wise, there is a 43% penalty to play in Toronto. That is not to say that there is not a 23% penalty to play in Texas or Florida.

That's not even mentioning the penalty of having to play in that stadium, and in that clubhouse.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously, the Jays are much improved on paper and they're being lauded for going "all in" to make this year's post season.

Flashback to last July and there was another AL team that was lauded for going "all in" and they were anointed as the favorite to represent the AL in the World Series. The Oakland A's landed Jeff Samardzija, Jason Hammel and Jon Lester to bolster their rotation.

Rather than run away and hide from the AL West, the A's instead turned a 2 game division lead into a 10 game deficit and were eliminated by the Royals in the Wild Card game.

Of course the situations are not identical but there's value in having some perspective. Just because a team "wins" the trade deadline, that doesn't necessarily translate to success between the lines.

Also, this is the same franchise that "won" the off season in 2013, only to underachieve since then. When it comes to the Blue Jays, they need to show me something on the diamond before I stay up at night worrying about them.

Obviously, the Jays are much improved on paper and they're being lauded for going "all in" to make this year's post season.

Flashback to last July and there was another AL team that was lauded for going "all in" and they were anointed as the favorite to represent the AL in the World Series. The Oakland A's landed Jeff Samardzija, Jason Hammel and Jon Lester to bolster their rotation.

Rather than run away and hide from the AL West, the A's instead turned a 2 game division lead into a 10 game deficit and were eliminated by the Royals in the Wild Card game.

Of course the situations are not identical but there's value in having some perspective. Just because a team "wins" the trade deadline, that doesn't necessarily translate to success between the lines.

Also, this is the same franchise that "won" the off season in 2013, only to underachieve since then. When it comes to the Blue Jays, they need to show me something on the diamond before I stay up at night worrying about them.

I can't disagree with your point that what works on paper doesn't always work in practice. Still, the Jays had some glaring weaknesses and they addressed them, and also padded their ridiculously good offense. They scare me now.

I can't disagree with your point that what works on paper doesn't always work in practice. Still, the Jays had some glaring weaknesses and they addressed them, and also padded their ridiculously good offense. They scare me now.

No doubt. I don't mean to diminish what they've done. Their lineup is ridiculous and the addition of Price speaks for itself.

The flip side is that there's just something missing in Toronto. That group seems to be the anti Orioles. Gibbons strikes me as a hot head and buffoon-ish. Then, their "leader" is Joey Bats, comes off as a colossal ***** and a me guy

It just seems to be a toxic mix of personalities that hasn't been able to get it together. Now you add 4 more players to the 25 man and who knows how it all blends together.

On paper, major upgrades; will it work between the white lines? We'll find out over the next 50ish games.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mark Lowe is probably their best pickup.

I guess I really did not have a handle on just how much good young pitching they had accumulated. In order to sell it all of for this one wildcard push. I guess because AA is done at the end of the year he really wanted one last chance to salvage.

I guess I really did not have a handle on just how much good young pitching they had accumulated. In order to sell it all of for this one wildcard push. I guess because AA is done at the end of the year he really wanted one last chance to salvage.

People give DD crap for selling on 6'0" 150 lb pitching prospect to go "all-in" just 2 games over .500. Look at what they sold to go all-in at just 2 games over .500.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/jjcoop36">@jjcoop36</a> ranks prospects traded in the past 2 weeks, including Alberto Tirado and his slider <a href="http://t.co/G44dUWKR4B">http://t.co/G44dUWKR4B</a> <a href="http://t.co/MKgq2Tn1l3">pic.twitter.com/MKgq2Tn1l3</a></p>— Baseball America (@BaseballAmerica) <a href="

">August 1, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They sold a lot, but they also got a lot more in return than we did.

Yes of course they did. I agree with CofC on Mark Lowe. Good pickup for this year - but is old and has been hurt. Revere is a good pick-up and a good contract - but he is a platoon player strictly. David Price better produce because they gave up a lot to get him and he is out the door. Tulo - another good pick-up, but he has to play 100 games on turf next year. He will be hurt...a lot.

Next year when Price is gone, Tulo is hurt, Revere is exposed as a platoon player, and Lowe is on the 60 day DL with shoulder problems the Blue Jays will regret the all-in approach.

Yes of course they did. I agree with CofC on Mark Lowe. Good pickup for this year - but is old and has been hurt. Revere is a good pick-up and a good contract - but he is a platoon player strictly. David Price better produce because they gave up a lot to get him and he is out the door. Tulo - another good pick-up, but he has to play 100 games on turf next year. He will be hurt...a lot.

Next year when Price is gone, Tulo is hurt, Revere is exposed as a platoon player, and Lowe is on the 60 day DL with shoulder problems the Blue Jays will regret the all-in approach.

Lowe is a rental. Unlike Chaz Roe.

I can understand making a big push from their position a lot more than I can understand dipping your toe in the water from the same position.

Tulo is always hurt, but Reyes isn't exactly Cal. The Price deal is the real head scratcher. Honestly, they should've gone all in during the offseason on SP. The cost wouldn't have been that much higher, and you have your TOR SP for another 100 games.

Archived