Steve Pearce: The positionless everyday player

wildcard

Normally when a player hits for a 930 OPS like Steve Pearce did last year it wins him a position. Not so with Pearce.

It appears that Pearce plays everyday but where Buck plays him will be determined by matchups. Whoever does not hit that days pitcher in leftfield, rightfield, 1B or DH will sit and Pearce will play that spot.

Seem kind of strange that Pearce has not settled in to a position but he hasn't.

Kind of sounds like a NICE guy to have. You know what I like about Pearce he knows just how damn hard it is to get where he's at right now. You talk team player him and Flash come every day NO MATTER where you put them they don't complain.

Those 2 guys fit Buck ball ;)

3 starts at 1B. I don't think getting 50% of his starts at 1B is going to continue.

I don't either. But I have noticed that Buck is making an effort to give him chances to play the field, like last night in RF. I figured he'd get around 50% of his starts at DH, but so far, that hasn't been the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if I'm a fan of making Davis the DH to insert Pearce at 1B, particularly early in the season. If this were the middle of summer or were about giving Davis a rest in the field, that'd be one thing. If Davis is healthy, he's the best defensive first baseman on the team and he should be in the field. Not coincedentally, Davis' 6'3" length would've snagged that one that 5'11" Pearce couldn't reach yesterday. Just having the length comes in handy sometimes. Pearce missed it by an inch.

I don't know if I'm a fan of making Davis the DH to insert Pearce at 1B, particularly early in the season. If this were the middle of summer or were about giving Davis a rest in the field, that'd be one thing. If Davis is healthy, he's the best defensive first baseman on the team and he should be in the field. Not coincedentally, Davis' 6'3" length would've snagged that one that 5'11" Pearce couldn't reach yesterday. Just having the length comes in handy sometimes. Pearce missed it by an inch.

PHRASING!

Question for the board: Who do you think ends up playing more RF this year between Pearce and Snider? Snider has been up and down, while Pearce may be a bit more steady.

The opening day play when Pearce was beat by a mile but managed to slide safely is my current nominee for favorite play of the season. Pearce seems to have a knack for bizarre slides and hustle plays that actually pay off, and this was classic Steve.

[video=youtube;VlqAtrkuh5s]

PHRASING!

Question for the board: Who do you think ends up playing more RF this year between Pearce and Snider? Snider has been up and down, while Pearce may be a bit more steady.

Wasn't Pearce 0-5 the other day? And his glove is not any better than Snider's.

And do not bring up that one error by Snider. It should have been ruled a hit. Other than that Snider has done well.

And to answer the question I think Snider plays more in RF. I want Pearce to be a substitute player for several positions but mainly used as the DH.

IMHO

The opening day play when Pearce was beat by a mile but managed to slide safely is my current nominee for favorite play of the season. Pearce seems to have a knack for bizarre slides and hustle plays that actually pay off, and this was classic Steve.

[video=youtube;VlqAtrkuh5s]

It was classic Steve. But only because of a terrible play by the catcher.

• 1 year later...
o

Happy birthday, Steve.

Good luck in the game against the Yankees.

Happy birthday again, Steve.

You are no longer an Oriole, but I loved the way that you played when you were here ...... see you in the OH's MLB section. ;)

Archived