Pedro Strop - Ubaldo Jimenez

21xxxv

I knew it. I knew it. I don't like to pound my chest and say I knew I was right, but in Strop's case, I knew I was. He was tired when he started crapping the bed for us. He threw way more innings in 2012 than he did in any other of his ML seasons. He's been lights out since going to Chicago. We should have kept him and tried to use him more efficiently.

Remains to be seen whether or not Ubaldo can have similar success. I'm not betting on it, but I'd love to be wrong.

I knew it. I knew it. I don't like to pound my chest and say I knew I was right, but in Strop's case, I knew I was. He was tired when he started crapping the bed for us. He threw way more innings in 2012 than he did in any other of his ML seasons. He's been lights out since going to Chicago. We should have kept him and tried to use him more efficiently.

Remains to be seen whether or not Ubaldo can have similar success. I'm not betting on it, but I'd love to be wrong.

Ubaldo will do just fine. :thumbsup1:

From the Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club;)

I do think though that Ubaldo will have a decentish season. I am not expecting him to be in contention for a Cy Young, I do however feel that he will bounce back and be pretty solid.

I haven't actually seen Jimenez pitch this spring, but I hope the simplified windup will be just what the doctor ordered for him. As for Strop, yes he's talented, but his wildness is a problem imo. He will be prone to having 2013-type seasons from time to time.

Strop started out 2015 pretty good last night, got 2 Ks in 1 inning worth of work.

Jimenez will be fine, by the end of this season, people will see why DD signed him.

Strop started out 2015 pretty good last night, got 2 Ks in 1 inning worth of work.

Jimenez will be fine, by the end of this season, people will see why DD signed him.

Yup. It's definitely fair to say he has been dominant since the trade, and that's without getting into Arrieta...

2013 w/ Cubs: 2.83 ERA, 2.31 FIP, 2.79 xFIP, 10.80 K/9, 2.83 BB/9

2014: 2.21 ERA, 2.66 FIP, 2.82 xFIP, 10.48 K/9, 3.69 BB/9

Yup. It's definitely fair to say he has been dominant since the trade, and that's without getting into Arrieta...

2013 w/ Cubs: 2.83 ERA, 2.31 FIP, 2.79 xFIP, 10.80 K/9, 2.83 BB/9

2014: 2.21 ERA, 2.66 FIP, 2.82 xFIP, 10.48 K/9, 3.69 BB/9

I said at the time, Strop would likely bounce back, he had too good stuff to be that bad.

Change of scenery and getting out of the AL East, helped immensely.

I haven't actually seen Jimenez pitch this spring, but I hope the simplified windup will be just what the doctor ordered for him. As for Strop, yes he's talented, but his wildness is a problem imo. He will be prone to having 2013-type seasons from time to time.

Pedro Strop in 2012:

First 51 games: 178/287/222 - 509 OPS, 52 2/3 IP, 43 SO, 25 BB, 14% LD% (1.20 ERA)

Last 13 games: 333/452/467 - 919 OPS, 13 2/3 IP, 15 SO, 12 BB, 22% LD% (7.24 ERA)

Think it's very possible that he was just beat in 2012. He threw nearly 70 IP that season. If you look in the minors he only threw 64 IP once. All other times it was in the low 50s/upper 40s.

Think he was overused and it just showed towards the end of 2012. 2013 could have been psychological. Perfect change of scenery candidate.

Pedro Strop in 2012:

First 51 games: 178/287/222 - 509 OPS, 52 2/3 IP, 43 SO, 25 BB, 14% LD% (1.20 ERA)

Last 13 games: 333/452/467 - 919 OPS, 13 2/3 IP, 15 SO, 12 BB, 22% LD% (7.24 ERA)

Think it's very possible that he was just beat in 2012. He threw nearly 70 IP that season. If you look in the minors he only threw 64 IP once. All other times it was in the low 50s/upper 40s.

Think he was overused and it just showed towards the end of 2012. 2013 could have been psychological. Perfect change of scenery candidate.

Relievers are a fickle bunch.

Even though both pitchers have bad mechanics, that's the only comparison that I can make between the two. Strop's fastball is in the 95-97 range whereas Jimenez's velocity has declined from 97 down to 91. In other words, Strop can overpower guys and Jimenez can't. Strop (like Arrieta) had good stuff but needed to get out of the AL East and pitch in a situation that had less pressure. Arrieta was a classic case of a guy that needed a change of scenery. He clearly had talent and a ton of upside, but he was too rattled on the mound. Unlike Arrieta and Strop, Jimenez doesn't have overpowering stuff anymore.

Archived