Travis Snider in right field today....What would Nick have done?

Davey

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wilcard-what do you know about Parmalee defensively?

Parmelee is a pretty good defensive 1B. He doesn't belong in the majors in the outfield. Alvarez has a great arm but some of the early games I listen to him playing for Norfolk didn't seem like he was playing that well in the outfield.

I think Pearce is the best for rightfield. Or maybe switch De Aza to right and put Pearce in left.

Cheaper, yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,better,,,,,,,not in a million years. Already two errors so far this season and Nick didnt have two in two YEARS. Plus Nick has a higher BA

Yes because errors and BA are all that matter.

Besides. He doesn't have to be better. Just about the same.

One error I believe. They took away the other error against Toronto in which no ML player was ever charged an error on a play like that before, IMO. Is he as smooth as Nick was? No. Does he have the arm Nick had? No. He is faster than Nick and both plays you guys are killing him on were far from routine. Nick has a lot of singles so far. I don't believe he's hit .350 in a quite awhile. Let's see where he winds up. I think, overall, you are going to get similar production from Snider at a fraction of the cost.

The plays last night bothered me much more than the one last week that originally was scored an error and then changed to a hit. It was surprising to me that Snider, having played with Toronto for several years, seemed to have trouble reading the ball in the Rodgers Centre. The second play was almost comical. He certainly made it look far from routine.

I don't think it's helpful to make this about what Markakis would have done. Rather, the issue is what is our best defensive alignment now, given the numerous options we have and the offensive profiles of the various corner outfielders. I'm still not ready to say that Snider is a bad outfielder based on one or two bad games, but he really did have a horrible day yesterday and I wouldn't want to see that kind of play in RF on a regular basis.

Snider's defense has definitely not been fun to watch. I wonder how long Buck keeps in the lineup as a RF. I wouldn't be shocked to see Davis out there soon.

I doubt Buck moves Davis, considering Davis is the best first on the team, did you see him go out in shallow RF and shag that pop up with his back to the plate?

IMO, Buck clearly thinks that Pearce is the best defensive 1B on the team.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion.

I dont mind Pearce at first, but IMO, Davis handles the high and low throws better, stretches out more to catch the ball and has more range on pop ups.

No kidding. Pearce plays all over and plays the OF better than Davis. How many times has Pearce DH'd? How many times has Davis DH'd? When given the choice of playing one at 1B and DH'ing the other, Buck has gone with Pearce at 1B.

I think Davis is the 1st and Buck feels comfortable plugging Steve in there at times.

Hence out of 13 games, Davis as been at 1st for 8.

Just my opinion.

I didn't see the game, just some highlights. I saw him miss a cutoff man and the ball got passed Joseph for an error, I think. I also saw him go back on a ball that went off the wall where he was going to try and scale the wall. Were there other plays or are those the ones you are talking about?

Earlier in the inning, Navarro hit a ball that Snider initially misjudged and it went over his head. Then Snider fumbled the ball when he tried to pick it up, allowing the "speedy" Navarro to reach 3B. The original misjudgment of the fly ball was not scored as an error, but the fumbled pickup was.

The next play was the throw you saw, which initially was scored an error but then changed. Presumably the scoring was changed because it wasn't at all clear that an accurate throw would have beaten the runner to the plate, and the runners would have advanced even on a good throw home. The throw was bad but in my opinion the decision to throw home was worse.

The play where Snider tried to scale the wall was the worst. He got a terrible jump, turned his back on the ball, then tried to scale the wall in a spot about 5 feet to the left of where the ball actually was traveling before it hit the wall about 4-5 feet off the ground. He had plenty of time to get to the spot and no need to jump.

All in all, one of the worst innings I've seen from an Orioles outfielder. To compound matters, Joseph missed a tag on a force play at the plate, and Jones made a throw home that was even more ill-advised than Snider's that allowed baserunners to advance.

And you are entitled to it. There have been at least 4 games where Davis started at DH and Pearce played 1B in the same game. Buck loves defense. He doesn't do that if he thinks Davis is the better defender at 1B. I already explained why Davis has more total starts at 1B than Pearce.

Maybe also be because Buck likes Pearce's ability to play OF more than Davis's. Don't want to lose the DH so if Buck needs an outfield sub late in the game, he can move Pearce without losing the DH.

Archived