Travis Snider in right field today....What would Nick have done?

Davey

I'm not saying Snider is a bad OF, I am saying he blew that play. It's a play most of our OF would make most of the time.

I agree with this. He went the wrong way on the ball, coming in on it resulting in it going over his head. Even Delmon would usually make that catch, but that's basically what an error is, right? A play that should ordinarily be made? And yet even the best fielders make errors sometimes.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SSS,

But the dude is producing with his bat.

[TABLE=class: sortable stats_table row_summable]

<tbody>[TR=class: full]

[TD=align: left]2015[/TD]

[TD=align: right]27[/TD]

[TD=align: left]BAL[/TD]

[TD=align: left]AL[/TD]

[TD=align: right]6[/TD]

[TD=align: right]23[/TD]

[TD=align: right]18[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3[/TD]

[TD=align: right]7[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0[/TD]

[TD=align: right]6[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5[/TD]

[TD=align: right].389[/TD]

[TD=align: right].522[/TD]

[TD=align: right].611[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1.133[/TD]

[TD=align: right]219[/TD]

[TD=align: right]11[/TD]

[TD=align: left]*/9D[/TD]

[TD=align: left][/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

As for the misplayed ball, all outfielders do this, even gold glove AJ.

It happens, you just hope it doesn't happen to often.

Agreed ....Markakis is the past. And while he was a solid player he was grossly overpaid for his production.

I'll post my disagreement with the disagreement over the comparing... Nick was an option for us to play RF. We passed on the option for a different option. While I can see the argument that you can't compare player X to player Y 5 games into the season. Obviously money and other factors will need to be considered, but you certainly can and likely should compare these 2 at some point to validate whether or not the FO made the correct decision.

We'll see how everything plays out, but I fear that there is a reason why the Pirates never gave Snider a chance and traded him

Never game him a chance?

He played 50 games for them in 2012, after being traded mid season.

He played 111 games for them in 2013

He played 140 games for them in 2014.

Never game him a chance?

He played 50 games for them in 2012, after being traded mid season.

He played 111 games for them in 2013

He played 140 games for them in 2014.

Never gave him a chance is all relative. At this point in his career he has never been an everyday player. That said, how much could the Pirates have thought of him since they traded him for Steven Tarpley and Steven Brault? Who knows, maybe he will pan out and have a good season. I have my doubts but we'll see how it plays out.

We'll see how everything plays out, but I fear that there is a reason why the Pirates never gave Snider a chance and traded him

He had the exact same WAR last year as Nick in 15 less games. And played better defense too. The Pirates got rid of him due to other reasons besides his performance.

Never gave him a chance is all relative. At this point in his career he has never been an everyday player. That said, how much could the Pirates have thought of him since they traded him for Steven Tarpley and Steven Brault? Who knows, maybe he will pan out and have a good season. I have my doubts but we'll see how it plays out.

What do you call playing 140 out of 162 games? That's an everyday player.

He had the exact same WAR last year as Nick in 15 less games. And played better defense too. The Pirates got rid of him due to other reasons besides his performance.

I'm not comparing him to Markakis

What do you call playing 140 out of 162 games? That's an everyday player.

“Having experienced parts of seven years at the major-league level and playing in both leagues has taught me a lot about competition for playing time and what goes into all of that,” he said. “For me, having experienced different roles in my career, being an everyday guy for short periods of time and not getting a full season of at-bats, it’s exciting to know that that could potentially be something that takes place here in Baltimore."

-Travis Snider

No, it really isn't. Never is a definitive term. You are quite wrong on this. The reason the Pirates traded Snider was they felt it was time to start Polanco. They wanted prospects and salry reduction for him. Pure and simple. That the Orioles got him for Tarpley and Brault is a positive, not a negative.

I remember some Pirate fans were confused by the trade.

Even SB Nation' date=' wrote an article about this.

[url']http://www.bucsdugout.com/2015/1/27/7926089/pirates-trade-travis-snider-to-orioles[/url]

No, it really isn't. Never is a definitive term. You are quite wrong on this. The reason the Pirates traded Snider was they felt it was time to start Polanco. They wanted prospects and salry reduction for him. Pure and simple. That the Orioles got him for Tarpley and Brault is a positive, not a negative.

Quite wrong on this? He has played over 111 games once in his career and he has had more than 300 at bats once. Again, it's all relative. Do you think Travis Snider is the difference maker that puts the Orioles over the top? B/c I sure don't. Resigning Nick Markakis wouldn't have been either. This goes back to my point about the Orioles not really improving in the offseason, but that isn't for this thread.

Quite wrong on this? He has played over 111 games once in his career and he has had more than 300 at bats once. Again, it's all relative. Do you think Travis Snider is the difference maker that puts the Orioles over the top? B/c I sure don't. Resigning Nick Markakis wouldn't have been either. This goes back to my point about the Orioles not really improving in the offseason, but that isn't for this thread.

Nothing we say is going to convince you that are wrong.

Spending tons of money for old players, doesn't buy you anything, you can ask the Yankees about this.

Quite wrong on this? He has played over 111 games once in his career and he has had more than 300 at bats once. Again, it's all relative. Do you think Travis Snider is the difference maker that puts the Orioles over the top? B/c I sure don't. This goes back to my point about the Orioles not really improving in the offseason, but that isn't for this thread.

The Pirates most certainly gave Snider a chance, and he performed well. I was trying to be kind. You are way off base. Not even close. To now go over the top and pretend that people are saying Snider gives the Orioles a World Championship is simply absurd. You are, indeed, quite wrong. The term "never" is definitive, and unmistakable in its meaning, and was most certainly used incorrectly in your post. It is not a relative term. Of that there is simply no doubt.

I'm not comparing him to Markakis

Then i don't even understand the point you are trying to make, in a Nick comparison thread. Last season, Snider was a 2.1 WAR player. Which is a starter in MLB. The reality you fear we are going to get hit with can only be "relative" to something else, i.e. this other option we should have gone with, because that is what the Pirates made their "fearful" decision based on. Snider performed very well for the Pirates last year. The Pirates got rid of him because they had cheaper options, and so dealt from a position of strength. What is your fear exactly? That Snider will once again have a 2 War season for 2 million dollars?

Archived