Why Mike Wright Has Closer Potential (Update: To Start for Baltimore 5/17)

Slade-OH

Wright stays in the rotation. Norris to long relief role. MacFarland down. Drake up for middle/late inning relief.

That's what I'd do anyway. Wright remains in the rotation until he proves he can't handle it. There is no upside in sticking with Norris and plenty in sticking with Wright.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wright stays in the rotation. Norris to long relief role. MacFarland down. Drake up for middle/late inning relief.

That's what I'd do anyway. Wright remains in the rotation until he proves he can't handle it. There is no upside in sticking with Norris and plenty in sticking with Wright.

15-8, 3.65, .122 WHIP, 165 innings, 139 Ks...

15-8, 3.65, .122 WHIP, 165 innings, 139 Ks...

Yep, in a career year. Wright just has better stuff and Norris has pitched horribly. If Norris was even just mediocre 5ish ERA I could see the argument for keeping him in the rotation.

Yep, in a career year. Wright just has better stuff and Norris has pitched horribly. If Norris was even just mediocre 5ish ERA I could see the argument for keeping him in the rotation.

I'm not really arguing to keep Bud in the rotation. And I have no idea yet that Wright should be in it. Give him another start at least hells yeah! Just saying Bud shouldn't be written off. He's a solid pitcher, once the year is done.

I'd do this, giving Wright at least two more starts:

Decide if either Norris or Tillman can make Tuesday's start. DL the other. Call up Wilson. Starting Wednesday, Gonzo, Chen, jimenez, wright, tillman/norris, gonzo, Chen, Jiminez. Now it's Thursday's DH. Since either Norris or Tillman can be back dated to the 11th or 12, pitch them on that Thursday. You have 26 players that day. After the DH, send down one or two of Wilson Wright and McFarland to get a fresh arm if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That definitely seems like the WRIGHT play to me.

I'm not really arguing to keep Bud in the rotation. And I have no idea yet that Wright should be in it. Give him another start at least hells yeah! Just saying Bud shouldn't be written off. He's a solid pitcher, once the year is done.

Norris will be gone after this season anyways in all likelihood, it would benefit us greatly to see what we have in a long term guy now while we have the chance before we committ any more resources to getting a veteran to replace bud next year.

I'd roll with him until he proves he is unworthy of the starters role.

I am ok with all of this.

Meh, Norris had a career year (106 OPS+) in which he was still only slightly better than league average. His career 90 OPS+ doesn't scream solid to me. I think expecting him to pitch like he did last year borders on fantasy.

He could be useful in the BP if can rediscover his slider.

Norris will be gone after this season anyways in all likelihood, it would benefit us greatly to see what we have in a long term guy now while we have the chance before we committ any more resources to getting a veteran to replace bud next year.

I'd roll with him until he proves he is unworthy of the starters role.

I thought I heard Buck respond to a reporter regarding replacing Norris with Mike Wright. Buck said that Bud had won 15 games last year and he doesn't feel that he can replace him right now.

If I were the manager (and I'm not), at the very most, I'd keep Norris on a VERY short leash. We need to find out if Wright really is "the Wright stuff." It appears that he is, so I'd put Norris in long relief and give Wright the spot in the rotation. Then we have to decide what to do about Gausman.

I thought I heard Buck respond to a reporter regarding replacing Norris with Mike Wright. Buck said that Bud had won 15 games last year and he doesn't feel that he can replace him right now.

If I were the manager (and I'm not), at the very most, I'd keep Norris on a VERY short leash. We need to find out if Wright really is "the Wright stuff." It appears that he is, so I'd put Norris in long relief and give Wright the spot in the rotation. Then we have to decide what to do about Gausman.

I agree. Wright definitely should get a real shot after today.

Gausman has nothing to do with the discussion. He has an otion. Sad but true. :noidea: I'd rather see him starting in Norfolk anyways.

Yea for pitching wins colouring rational thought!

Meh, Norris had a career year (106 OPS+) in which he was still only slightly better than league average. His career 90 OPS+ doesn't scream solid to me. I think expecting him to pitch like he did last year borders on fantasy.

He could be useful in the BP if can rediscover his slider.

He is a free agent. He will not willingly go the the bullpen to rediscover himself.

I heard Buck answer a reporter and say that a man that won 15 games last season did not deserve to hear his manager say he was going to the bullpen on the radio. And he was not going to. He also said that he had lost 8 to 10 lbs and even if he were going to the pen that did not mean he was available this week.

What choice does he have?

I don't see how raising a fuss with help his situation.

Get traded to the Padres or the Mariners. Norris was never a bullpen arm. He could absolutely request a move if he is not being used there.

Archived