Kevin Gausman Today 2015

Il BuonO

All those who were pencilling in Gausman as some kind of TOR better get their erasers out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe they can trade him to the Cubs for Pedro Strop and he can become their second 20 game winning ex-oriole bust! Would anyone here trust Gausman to start a must win game, especially on the road where he is horrible? I know I wouldn't!!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All those who were pencilling in Gausman as some kind of TOR better get their erasers out.

Yeah Yeah Yeah. We've been through this with a long line of top draft choices and prospects with excellent potential who failed to achieve. Penn, Lowen, Liz, Ponson, Hobgood, Bedard ... We all know this list. We all know that not a single starting pitcher since Mussina has been great.

Matusz, Bundy, Hobgood, Tillman and Gausman should be the big 5. At this time Hobgood is a complete and utter failure, Matusz is a total bust as a starting pitcher, Bundy?

But next year, with intelligent coaching, conditioning and managment I think we'll see Tillman and Gausman win between 34 and 40 games and be very good. They have looked good and more often they are good than bad. BUT, they need to have a plan for each and follow through. No screwing around. They are the future of this franchise with Machado and Schoop

Yeah Yeah Yeah. We've been through this with a long line of top draft choices and prospects with excellent potential who failed to achieve. Penn, Lowen, Liz, Ponson, Hobgood, Bedard ... We all know this list. We all know that not a single starting pitcher since Mussina has been great.

Matusz, Bundy, Hobgood, Tillman and Gausman should be the big 5. At this time Hobgood is a complete and utter failure, Matusz is a total bust as a starting pitcher, Bundy?

But next year, with intelligent coaching, conditioning and managment I think we'll see Tillman and Gausman win between 34 and 40 games and be very good. They have looked good and more often they are good than bad. BUT, they need to have a plan for each and follow through. No screwing around. They are the future of this franchise with Machado and Schoop

I see no evidence or data to support the conclusion that Tillman and Gausman will somehow win 34-40 games next year. Wishful thinking and I hope you are correct, but both are struggling to get even 20 wins combined this season. Tillman's high in 2013 was at 16 wins- down to 13 last year and 10 this year with an above 5 ERA- his WHIP has increased each year, his strikeouts per 9 innings have decreased each year...Gausman will not even reach that level of success without a third pitch, imho.

I see no evidence or data to support the conclusion that Tillman and Gausman will somehow win 34-40 games next year. Wishful thinking and I hope you are correct, but both are struggling to get even 20 wins combined this season. Tillman's high in 2013 was at 16 wins- down to 13 last year and 10 this year with an above 5 ERA- his WHIP has increased each year, his strikeouts per 9 innings have decreased each year...Gausman will not even reach that level of success without a third pitch, imho.

If you are right, then the future of this franchise is in dire straights.

Without Tillman and Gausman being All-Star type TOR we are done. Chen will leave for money and he won't be worth what he gets, Jimenez is a #4 pitcher for a good team as he gets older. Buddy is still a few years away from starting 30 games in the majors.

The Orioles philosophy is that a pitcher must maintain value for each year of the contract, this precludes them from signing big name pitchers with a pedigree and accomplishments. This kind of pitchers get 5th, 6th and even 7th years which the Orioles believe are unjustified.

Where will the rotation come from if Tillman and Gausman don'y win 34-40 games next year?

Without Tillman and Gausman being All-Star type TOR we are done. Chen will leave for money and he won't be worth what he gets, Jimenez is a #4 pitcher for a good team as he gets older. Buddy is still a few years away from starting 30 games in the majors.

The Orioles philosophy is that a pitcher must maintain value for each year of the contract, this precludes them from signing big name pitchers with a pedigree and accomplishments. This kind of pitchers get 5th, 6th and even 7th years which the Orioles believe are unjustified.

Where will the rotation come from if Tillman and Gausman don'y win 34-40 games next year?

Well, then, the pitching coaches need to get together and decide on winter programs for both Tillman and Gausman. Both have shown capabilities to pitch better than their performances in 2015. These two, along with the coaches, need to diagnose exactly what has gone wrong in 2015. Mechanical problems? Command problems? Needs to develop new pitches?

I think Tillman and Gausman next year will certainly be adequate, starting pitchers but likely not in the TOR zone. I think 2016 is likely to be a bad year for us Os fans and 2017 and beyond will depend more on whether Harvey, Bundy, Wilson, Wright, develop very strongly and 2018 and beyond will hinge on how good we draft with all the comp picks this year.

But next year, with intelligent coaching, conditioning and management, I think we'll see Tillman and Gausman win between 34 and 40 games and be very good. They have looked good and more often they are good than bad. BUT, they need to have a plan for each and follow through. No screwing around. They are the future of this franchise with Machado and Schoop

This assertion is BEGGING for somebody to disagree ...... which of course, somebody did.

And that allowed you to do what you wanted to do in the first place, which is take a dump on the team and/or the front office (like you always do.)

Your little end-around was as transparent as Scotch tape.

This assertion is BEGGING for somebody to disagree ...... which of course, somebody did.

And that allowed you to do what you wanted to do in the first place, which is take a dump on the team and/or the front office (like you always do.)

Your little end-around was as transparent as Scotch tape.

IMO Tillman doesn't need coached up. He has had past sucesd and hopefully will rebound and be more consistent next season although his getting shelled by Toronto is concerning. Gausman on the other hand needs lots and lots of work on developing some sort of third pitch or IMO he will never get better than he is now which is very pedestrian and 5th starter type at best.

Brady works with many of these guys over the winter. Maybe it is all hype or maybe his program helps.

IMO Tillman doesn't need coached up. He has had past success, and hopefully will rebound and be more consistent next season ...... although, his getting shelled by Toronto is concerning. Gausman on the other hand, needs lots and lots of work on developing some sort of third pitch or IMO he will never get better than he is now which is very pedestrian and 5th starter type at best.

I think so, too.

I suspect that the best way for Gausman to develop that effective 3rd pitch is to keep putting him out there, and hope for (at the very least) that we continue getting the erratic results that we have been getting from him until he masters that 3rd pitch.

It's a completely different animal because it is not a pitching example, but I remember when Ron LeFlore was "force fed" as a starting position player. LeFlore had hit well at the minor league A-level in '74, but they skipped him over the AA-level, and he only played 9 GAMES at the AAA-level before being promoted to the Tigers that same year ...... as their starting centerfielder.

In that 1974 season, LeFlore was pretty bad offensively. His batting average was decent, but his OBP was only .302, and he struck out a lot.

More of the same occurred in 1975 (decent batting average, but a low OBP, and he struck out a lot.)

In 1976 LeFlore finally broke through, batting .316 with an OBP of .376, stealing 58 bases, and having a memorable 30-game hitting streak.

Additionally, LeFlore cut down on his strikeouts somewhat in 1976, but more significantly, his walk rate improved considerably.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lefloro01.shtml

And so, maybe ...... just maybe ...... Kevin Gausman can become the Orioles' 21st Century starting pitching version of what Ron LeFlore was to the Tigers all those years ago.

o

I got home from the game about an hour ago.

Aside from pitching 8 innings of 1-run ball, Gausman had an insanely good strikes-to-balls ratio.

After 4 innings, he had thrown 48 pitches ....... 40 of which were strikes. :eektf:

Over the ensuing 4 innings (5 through 8), he threw 50 more pitches ...... 37 of which were strikes.

So overall, he was: ) 98 Pitches (77 Strikes, 21 Balls.)

Wow... Win between 30 and 40 games! I don't think any pair of teammates won more than 36 games for any team in MLB. You realize what a lofty goal "34-40" is?

If it does happen we will likely be one of the best teams in baseball just for two starters to have that many win opportunities.

I admire your optimis..

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Wow... Win between 30 and 40 games! I don't think any pair of teammates won more than 36 games for any team in MLB. You realize what a lofty goal "34-40" is?

If it does happen we will likely be one of the best teams in baseball just for two starters to have that many win opportunities.

I admire your optimis..

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If they are both great, they will "win" 28 between them.

Archived