Sit Davis against all hardthrowers

ChuckS

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's back a week after a 50 game suspension. He needs sometime before we should go drawing conclusions about not be able to handle a good fastball.

I think that it was a 25-game suspension.

Either way, your point remains the same.

Davis looked horrible last night, but he's always been a streaky hitter (except in 2013). I think he'd have to play every day for at least two months with poor results before Buck would think seriously about changing his lineup.

It pained me to watch Davis at the plate last night more than Hunter allowing the slam. You would think that the opposing pitchers have a strategy and know what to throw to get him out. But I don't see that! He is getting hittable pitches like 25 Nugget says and still missing. He appears to need a complete hitting approach overhaul!

I am frustrated by the outcome last night and my impulse is to sit him more, bat him lower in the lineup, or send him down for some time. But I am going to give him another week. I don't want to sound like I am making excuses but....(here we go!)...its early in the season and there is tremendous pressure on him to perform. He's obviously trying too hard and needs to change something! If there's one thing I know its that CD would agree with all of us on this thread. He gets the message. Let's give him another chance in the coming week. Keyword is WEEK!

Chris Davis hasn't been a good hitter since July 2013. I said it before and I will keep on saying it, it was foolish for the Orioles' front office to count on Davis to "rebound" and not do anything else to improve the team. Unfortunately, Buck will continue to bat him in the middle of the lineup

If Buck keeps throwing him out there and he keeps playing like this, we will be begging for Mark Reynolds level strikeout numbers by the end of the season. He has looked as bad as any Oriole in recent memory at the plate all spring/early regular season.

You have a mercifully short memory. I can think of plenty of Orioles in recent years (especially pre-2012) who looked worse than Davis does now.

As another poster mentioned, Davis had an .807 OPS entering last night's game. He was 5-for-13 with two multi-hit games in his previous three games. He certainly looked bad in his four-strikeout game, but would anyone have been posting this thread even one day earlier?

I just get frustrated with one trick ponies.

I guess I'm becoming an artifact here, but it is actually possible to cut down on your swings with 2 strikes and you know, make contact. I assumed a K vs. Betances - I didn't even watch the at bat. But earlier in the game, he had someone on third base and 1 out and struck out with that big, stupid, long, "I'm trying to hit the ball into the inner harbor" swing we always see from him. It's just a poor, lazy approach.

Make adjustments, b/c the pitching in this league will eat you alive if you don't.

Looked really bad striking out on a hanging curve ball. I just can't believe he couldn't even make contact. His contact rate is so low it is a pipe dream to think he will ever bat over .220 The O's should have traded Davis, Norris and Wieters, not re-signed Hardy but made a QO.

We would have been playing with the same 25 (without the zero contribution from Davis and negative contribution from Norris) but had 4 or 5 good prospects and an additional supplemental pick. We have completely misplayed the third year Arb, FA to be players and have set up the franchise for multiple consecutive losing season again.

Of course DD will be gone by October 15th is not sooner.

Looked really bad striking out on a hanging curve ball. I just can't believe he couldn't even make contact. His contact rate is so low it is a pipe dream to think he will ever bat over .220 The O's should have traded Davis, Norris and Wieters, not re-signed Hardy but made a QO.

We would have been playing with the same 25 (without the zero contribution from Davis and negative contribution from Norris) but had 4 or 5 good prospects and an additional supplemental pick. We have completely misplayed the third year Arb, FA to be players and have set up the franchise for multiple consecutive losing season again.

Where are we getting the "4 or 5 good prospects"? From trading Matt Wieters while he's in the middle of Tommy John rehab? From trading Chris Davis coming off a career-worst season? Are all of them from the Bud Norris trade?

Just love this type of post. "Last offseason, the Orioles should've traded all of their players who are currently underperforming, while holding on to the players who are currently playing well! It's so obvious! WHAT IS DUQUETTE THINKING??"

Buck needs to seriously consider this. The guy hasn't been able to hit a good fastball without cheating for over a year. Gotta consider playing Delmon Young and Lough ahead of Davis on those days.

The fact that Davis hasn't drawn any walks yet I think is more evidence that he is overcompensating big time.

I agree sitting Davis against all LHP, but sadly I think Buck is going to sink the ship or swim with Davis all year. :(

Davis looked horrible last night, but he's always been a streaky hitter (except in 2013). I think he'd have to play every day for at least two months with poor results before Buck would think seriously about changing his lineup.
I'm not sure Buck will wait that long before moving him to 6th in the order. Certainly he won't do that now or for the next few weeks.

Archived