Sit Davis against all hardthrowers

ChuckS

I dont think CC is throwing well right now.

According to fangraphs he has dropped from 85.6 to 83.2. Which is a big difference to big league hitters.

I didn't see his first start, but they were pretty happy that his velocity was up in ST this year.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't see his first start, but they were pretty happy that his velocity was up in ST this year.

[TABLE=class: sortable stats_table row_summable]

<tbody>[TR=class: full]

[TD=align: left]2015[/TD]

[TD=align: right]34[/TD]

[TD=align: left]NYY[/TD]

[TD=align: left]AL[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1[/TD]

[TD=align: right].000[/TD]

[TD=align: right]6.35[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5.2[/TD]

[TD=align: right]8[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5[/TD]

[TD=align: right]4[/TD]

[TD=align: right]24[/TD]

[TD=align: right]67[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0.15[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1.412[/TD]

[TD=align: right]12.7[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0.0[/TD]

[TD=align: right][/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Yeah, I saw the line. I was saying, I didn't see the start, particularly in reference to your comment as to what his stuff and velocity looked like. .

As another poster mentioned, Davis had an .807 OPS entering last night's game. He was 5-for-13 with two multi-hit games in his previous three games. He certainly looked bad in his four-strikeout game, but would anyone have been posting this thread even one day earlier?

Over five games? I'm more inclined to look at ABs and approach than early season numbers. Davis gets beat on better FBs and swings over CBs. I wouldn't even classify Pineda as having a plus FB but I suppose he was mixing pitches better and locating better than Hutchison whom he hit the HR to LF against. He was at 90-91 most of the night touching 92 whereas Hutchison was in the 89-90 range.

Davis looks good when he can get his arms extended but I don't have any confidence that happens against a better than average FB.

Yeah, I saw the line. I was saying, I didn't see the start, particularly in reference to your comment as to what his stuff and velocity looked like. .

He topped out at 90.7 mph, and averaged 89 on his fastball, sinker (which was his primary pitch) and cutter. He got a fair number of swings and misses on his sinker, change and slider. http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=4&day=9&year=2015&game=gid_2015_04_09_tormlb_nyamlb_1%2F&pitchSel=282332&prevGame=gid_2015_04_09_tormlb_nyamlb_1%2F&prevDate=49&league=mlb

Over five games? I'm more inclined to look at ABs and approach than early season numbers. Davis gets beat on better FBs and swings over CBs. I wouldn't even classify Pineda as having a plus FB but I suppose he was mixing pitches better and locating better than Hutchison whom he hit the HR to LF against. He was at 90-91 most of the night touching 92 whereas Hutchison was in the 89-90 range.

Davis looks good when he can get his arms extended but I don't have any confidence that happens against a better than average FB.

I haven't seen all the games. In the two games where I saw a lot of his at bats, Davis' timing was pretty far off, and I thought his head wasn't still during his swing.

He topped out at 90.7 mph, and averaged 89 on his fastball, sinker (which was his primary pitch) and cutter. He got a fair number of swings and misses on his sinker, change and slider. http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=4&day=9&year=2015&game=gid_2015_04_09_tormlb_nyamlb_1%2F&pitchSel=282332&prevGame=gid_2015_04_09_tormlb_nyamlb_1%2F&prevDate=49&league=mlb

Ok, I think he was a bit faster than that in ST. The Yankees seemed pretty happy about it and the action on his 2 seam FB/cutter. But who knows if that's ST guns and how accurate they are. We'll see tonight i guess.

Before overreacting always ask yourself, what is step 1?

Step 1: Drop him in the order.

Honestly, this is where I'm at with him. I understand the Orioles need for Davis to bounce back and understand Buck running him out there everyday for now. But he should not be batting #3 and probably not above #6.

Honestly, this is where I'm at with him. I understand the Orioles need for Davis to bounce back and understand Buck running him out there everyday for now. But he should not batting #3 and probably not above #6.
He isn't tonight, he is hitting #6.

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Doesn't tell the whole story. He got singled to death one inning (nothing hit real hard) and pitched pretty decently. Most reports were very positive for his first start since last May. Zero walks and 8 K's not bad.

That being said, I hope he doesn't have it anymore because he will be a huge part of the Yankees having a good season or a bad one, but just looking at a stat line doesn't tell the whole story sometimes, especially for a guy coming off knee surgery and missing most of the season last year.

Edit: Not necessary directed towards you, mostly the other posters who think he's finished.

Doesn't tell the whole story. He got singled to death one inning (nothing hit real hard) and pitched pretty decently. Most reports were very positive for his first start since last May. Zero walks and 8 K's not bad.

That being said, I hope he doesn't have it anymore because he will be a huge part of the Yankees having a good season or a bad one, but just looking at a stat line doesn't tell the whole story sometimes, especially for a guy coming off knee surgery and missing most of the season last year.

Edit: Not necessary directed towards you, mostly the other posters who think he's finished.

I think he is is finished.

He should play only against RHPs and should bat between 6-8.

Exactly. It might not be the right time to DFA him, but Lough has no role on this team. He's behind Pearce, Snider and De Aza at the corner OF spots. De Aza can back up CF. I'm not some big Reimold believer. But he is what he is. He can get Davis's AB's vs LHP. He's healthy so minus well play him. I could see him giving us Pearce/Snider like production. This team can't afford to have Davis be this year's Jim Johnson. Bat him lower and match him up for a bit. He's a FA anyway, it's not like he's going to return the loyalty favor at all in the offseason.

Archived